General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Immy93
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: The Twilight Saga Book Covers

Post by Immy93 »

BlueStarlight wrote:Ok, I'm going to post my thoughts, and then go back and read everyone's posts.

Twilight- I got that right off the bat. The Bible verse in the beginning; forbidden fruit- obvious.

New Moon- I heard that Steph said she had nothing to do with the cover, but she never offered what she thought it meant (that I can recall). I think the flower represents Bella's love, or heart; her relationship with Jacob is growing, and the falling petal is her broken heart for Edward. No matter how hard she tried to move on, a part of her would always grieve for Edward; he was her first love, her only true love, and nothing can ever replace that.

Eclipse- I understood it more after I read the book... The ribbon is Bella's life; the broken strands represent the things she'd leave behind when she became a vampire; the 2 threads still connecting the 2 ends of the ribbon are for her family and Jacob, because those are the most important things in her life that she is struggling to reconcile giving up.

Breaking Dawn- I had no clue as to what it meant. I haven't read "Merchant of Venice" or "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream," so I didn't draw the comparisons. I thought that Nessie was the red pawn, and Bella was the Queen, but the more I read, that didn't seem to fit. After hearing SM explain it, yeah, it makes sense- Bella as a newborn, Bella as a strong vampire!
Hands down for Blue Starlet!
I didn't have a clue what the covers meant really but you really explained it to me and it makes sense.
I loved the way you explained the Eclipse cover to me!
I think maybe the Breaking Dawn cover symbolises Bella's life and that she only has a few moves left?
Just an idea!
My book's upstairs so IO'm just thinking of it form memory!

Doea anyone agree
ImageEdward Cullen
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Immy, here's the link to the FAQs on Stephenie's website that answers the cover art of BD... http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/bd_faq.html
icefire6182
Settled in Forks

Post by icefire6182 »

Twilight, like everyone else, I thought was forbidden fruit, before I even read Stephenie Meyers FAQ
New Moon I honestly couldn't figure out until I learned that SM didn't actually pick it out.
Eclipse I really thought that the two halves of the ribbon was Edward and Jacob and Bella is the frail piece in the middle, holding them both together. The small piece on top is Jacob because he knows he has less of a chance but he is still holding onto Bella and Edward is the bigger piece because he is more likely to win Bella. *Sorry if someone else posted this idea, I just read the first page and then posted, I'm new here*
Breaking Dawn was my favorite cover. Before the FAQ came out I thought it was Bella as the small piece and someone else as the Queen. I wasn't sure what I thought it meant though :oops:
EdwardNJessi
Learning to Love Green

Post by EdwardNJessi »

Ohh...I like this topic!

Twilight: I think the hand holding the apple is a great metaphor for the whole book. It looks as if the hand is offering you the apple, but it's almost like it is keeping the apple safe and enclosed as well. It represents temptation of a forbidden fruit. Just like Edward and Bella...Edward is dangerous to Bella...he is her forbidden fruit. And, like the hand holding the apple so carefully, Edward keeps his urges and vampire instincts in control. The cover art shows that the apple (edward) is so tempting and irresistable that, even though it in poisonous and harmful, we all know she can't resist.

New Moon: This one is easy. The theme of New Moon to me is loss. In Twilight, Edward helped Bella "bloom" into a person whom she was always meant to be. In New Moon, when Edward leaves her, her flower wilts and she loses some of her petals...even though she is surviving, it's just by a string. The picture of the flower in that fragil state right before death perfectly represents Bella after Edward leaves.

Eclipse: I feel like this one is a little harder to interpret. To me, Bella is the ribbon...and she is being torn apart by the two strongest forces in her life: Edward and Jacob. Either way she chooses, she will break someones heart and potentially lose that person. The fibers that stay in the middle of the ribbon show us that, even though she has to make a choice, a little bit of the other person will stay with her forever.

Breaking Dawn: Even before I read the FAQs about the cover art, I saw the cover as Bella vs. Bella. The weaker "human" Bella in the background (as a pawn)...and the emerging, stronger, vampiric Bella winning in the end. It's a perfect representation of her transformation throughout the saga.

I love art, so these interpretations are really fun for me to hear!!!!

--Jess
xoxo
LeechesRule95
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by LeechesRule95 »

Well I see the Twilight cover as going with the Quote: The forbidden friut tastes the sweetest.

I see New Moon as kind of like bella's life is the flower and after time (when edward leaves :cry: ) the petals of her life fall. :(

I see Eclipse as when Edward and Bella and Jacob's and Bella's Relationship form a gap between each other. Like they're breaking apart. I also see the ribbon as Bella Like she is torn between her choices of being a Vampire and Staying Human.:(

I see Breaking Dawn as Bella as a human is the white piece and later when she changes to a Vampire its the red piece. But I have another theory to the cover The situation they are in, in Breaking Dawn is like a Chess game they have to choose each of their moves carefully or they lose. :(

Some of my theory's are from friends but some are mine.... Like New Moon, Twilight, both of eclipse, And the second theory for Breaking Dawn. :lol:
bella_love3
Learning to Love Green

Post by bella_love3 »

recently i was being the creepy twilight stalker i am and i realized that the book cover of the spanish book (why i was looking at that i dont know... i dont even take spanish is school) is different than the picture on the english verison. i mean the scene is the same with the hands and the apple but the arms and the apple are different. the apple is brighter and i feel like the arms are bigger. it seems strange that they would have two different pictures for the same book but thats just me.
Cegi
Settled in Forks

Post by Cegi »

Hi all,

I love your interpretations for the book covers.

For the New Moon cover it turns out that (according to proflowers.com) the meaning of tulips is perfect love and red tulips are most strongly associated with true love. White tulips are used to claim worthiness or to send a message of forgiveness. So it makes sense that Bella, who is deeply in love with Edward but is left by him has both her love and worthiness of Edward brought into question (thus the fading red and white tulip). It also fits well with the symbolism of her heart that was earlier discussed.

What do you think?
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

i love the covers.
I think the twilight cover is the most beautiful cover any book can ever have. it's just so gorgeous <3
and i love that there are always meaning to the covers. very creative.
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

I love the covers! The twilight books are the kind that you just love to hold-shiny, black, serious . . . But I must say, I was orginally dissappointed with the BD cover. I read what SM wrote about its meaning, but it doesn't seem to fit with the . . . eclecticness of the other ones. When you only look at the spines, it's okay, but the cover just seems too . . .much. I don't absolutely loathe it or anything, it's just my least favorite.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
MelDSilvers
Settled in Forks

Post by MelDSilvers »

new moon- no one really knew but here what i think it is...
I think that it represent Bella's heart... the one small petal falling represents her broken heart when Edward left, something is torn from her life, something is missing. The flower still look pretty and looked like nothing changed but we all knew that somehow something changed because we knew that one petal is missing even when Edward came back for her. err sorry for my English, im really not good at explaining things.
I agree very much with that. Even though Stephenie M. said that NM's cover didn't have an specific meaning, you can see a petal falling off the rest of the flower; Bella's heart falling into pieces when Edward left her. Also, the flower can mean her weakness at that time. Flowers and petals are very soft, breakable, so as Bella in NM, she became vulnerable, breakable and emotionally weak when she was downhearted. Trying to not remember, trying to hold herself and fight against that hole in her chest..etc.

I love all the covers, but my favourite is New Moon's, since it doesn't have an especific meaning as the rest, and we fans can interprete it as we want. Also, the flower is very pretty, too ^^
~ Put your faith in what you most believe in ~
Loving Edward, adoring Jacob.

"Edward: He phaised in front of Charlie"
[...]
Jacob: You should've seen his face when I started taking my clothes off, though. Priceless" Breaking dawn.