Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Just Ian

Post by mlola619 »

Ian, Ian, Ian. I have to admit i felt so bad as well when Ian realized he didn't overwhelm Wanda as much as when Jared kissed her- then again that just made Wanda telling Ian she loved him so much sweeter...bwahaha

Anyway- you guys know how SM picked certain actors to portray her characters in Twilight right? Well i was just wondering if she did the same thing for The Host? If maybe she went and picked someone for Jared, Ian, and Mel- maybe even Wanda? I'd just love to actually imagine a certain actor she picked to portray her characters as i read the book...
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
BittenCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by BittenCullen »

Wow Ian. :]
He is definitly in the list with Edward and Jacob. The whole thing in the beginning encounter with Wanda made me furiously hate Ian. But from the part where he visits Jared and Wanda together in cave and tells Jared he feels bad looking at her and stuff, i was already forgiving him. I love Ian so much in the story and he was one of those characters that played a sort of minor role in the beginning, so i never knew he could be such an important character in the novel. I actually prefer Ian then Jared or Jamie :] I actually want to thank stephenie for giving me another character to go bezerk over :]
"I may not be a human, but I am a man."
I Support TeamEdward. ONLY he can send my heart into a panic attack.
Broken-Mirror
Settled in Forks

Post by Broken-Mirror »

Ian is definitly my favorite character by Stephenie Meyer.
Still closely followed by Jasper, maybe Stephenie will add more to his character later and put him back at the top. *hint*JasperandAlicestory*hint*
cidluen
Wandering Through Town

Post by cidluen »

Ian is the sweetest of all Steph's men. He is hot, funny, is kind and loves wanda for what she is. He clearly isn't real. Besides, he befriends Wanda before falling for her and actually sees haw amazing and good she is, in spite of being "the enemy", and for that Ian rocks
jovialweaver323
Settled in Forks

Post by jovialweaver323 »

I'm pretty sure I read this on her site, but I think Stephenie said that if The Host were turned into a movie, she'd like James McAvoy to play Ian. I definitely won't argue with that. ;) I must admit though: I don't picture faces when I read, and I'm thankful for that because I don't get the Edward/ Ian confusion that others seem to be experiencing. I can see bits and pieces of his face when SM describes them (especially his intense sapphire eyes), but overall I just see shadow... :( I "see" the characters as entities of a mix of traits though, and I have to say that Ian is one incredible guy. He's deep but masculine and isn't afraid to voice his love of Wanda to Wanda. I don't have my book on me at the moment so I can't quote directly, but Wanda described him perfectly by saying something along the lines of "He's as gentle as a soul, but strong as only a human can be." He says the most amazing things (my favorite quotes from the book are mostly by him) - both the funny and sentimental ones. I think he ranks first place in my books (closely followed by Edward). :D
Pixie
Settled in Forks

Post by Pixie »

Ian(sigh) By far my favorite male character in any of SM books(probably any book).
Pixie
Settled in Forks

Re:

Post by Pixie »

jovialweaver323 wrote:I'm pretty sure I read this on her site, but I think Stephenie said that if The Host were turned into a movie, she'd like James McAvoy to play Ian.
She mentioned this at the Houston signing. I wasn't finished with the book yet- so Ian has always been James to me. Which is fine, since I love James McAvoy.
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Re:

Post by mlola619 »

jovialweaver323 wrote:I'm pretty sure I read this on her site, but I think Stephenie said that if The Host were turned into a movie, she'd like James McAvoy to play Ian. I definitely won't argue with that. ;) I must admit though: I don't picture faces when I read, and I'm thankful for that because I don't get the Edward/ Ian confusion that others seem to be experiencing. I can see bits and pieces of his face when SM describes them (especially his intense sapphire eyes), but overall I just see shadow... :( I "see" the characters as entities of a mix of traits though, and I have to say that Ian is one incredible guy.

Finally! lol i was waiting for someone to say that they imagine their characters in the same ways i do! To be honest i imagine them exactly the same! i can never really concentrate enough to see their face really clear everytime, so it is kind of just a shadow in my head- though i know what they look like when i read about them..just not an exact image comes up...
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
Jeminunzi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Jeminunzi »

i dont picture the characters with faces per say either..... But James McAvoy as Ian... so not complaining. But alas, we could never be so lucky.
Students working in New Media are bored in the summer, I take banner requests! PM me
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Lord knows I need to reread The Host. Definitely rusty on a lot of details. One thing that cannot be forgotten is how much I love Ian. I think I stated this elsewhere, but he embodies both Jake and Edward's good qualities--while Jared's the opposite :twisted: --. He' just so sweet and compassionate! Definitely in the top range of Stephenie's male characters. How does she make such perfect men?
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B