Gex X--the 30 something thread

BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by BlueStarlight »

Nima- your biggest pet peeve tickled me! How many times have I done that and the kid gave me a blank look? Too many to count! Being on the receiving end of that, too, was a bit nerve-wracking when I first started working as a teen. It didn't take me long to get the hang of that, tho!

Manners and such. My mom was great at teaching us kids manners. It was always "please and thank-you," "yes sir and ma'am," "no sir and ma'am," don't speak when the adults are having a conversation, don't raise your voice to an adult or talk back, do what you're told when you're told to do it, etc. Thank you cards were a BIG DEAL in our house... nothing says "spoiled child" like an ingrateful attitude. We sent cards for any gift we got, whether it were a b-day or Christmas gift or simply a $2 bill from Gramma for Valentine's Day and Easter (which she actually sent every year when I was growing up). Gratitude is something I find lacking these days. It seems that at a child's birthday or Christmas, they EXPECT gifts... not just ANY gift, but one they have picked out themselves and told "so and so" that they want. It's a bit sad to me. As an aunt, it comes naturally that I want to spoil all my nephews, but last year, I had to tell my husband, enough is enough. I didn't want the boys to come to expect big things from us- what happens if this Christmas we don't have the kind of $$ we had last year to spend on them? So, I put my foot down and decided they would get one clothing item and one toy for Christmas. Thank-you cards are a personal way of saying that you took the time to think about the person and the gift that was given; they show gratitude and thoughtfulness.
Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kymberli »

una wrote: I find that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" is so true.
This is one of my favorite things to say. I think you hit the nail on the head..I wish more people felt this way.
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

Thank you for all of the encouragement, you guys are great! I have never taken offense to anything anyone has posted. I hope that I didn't come off that way earlier. I only took offense with the Target lady who I left stammering with her jaw dropped to the floor. Hopefully, she will think twice before she lays into another stranger.

I am with all of you on the issue of manners. Outside of the issues that we face in my house with the nature of autism, I still expect C1 & C2 to write thank you notes and use social graces. Their nuerotypical peers don't always do the same and I find that suprising!

Thanks again for making me feel better about humanity. Despite my earlier frustration, I really do believe in the goodness of people and not letting a couple of bad apples spoil the whole bunch. I appreciate the reminder, Una. :)
found by MMETP, courtesy of em3228 @ photobucket
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Okay, I've gotten us on some heavy discussion topics. We need a break for some fun. I thought of this question, what actor do you think most epitomizes/symbolizes our generation? If able/possible, please provide picture link. For the guys, I think it is Drew Barrymore I hope you guys enjoy!

For us gals, I think it is Anthony Michael Hall (Although he looks like a lesser here...maybe Mr. O?)

Or maybe Leonardo Dicaprio

Or Johnny Depp

I will say you ladies are much better at finding the hotties without shirts...
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

Oh definately, Johnny Depp! I loved 21 Jump Street :oops: Remember when he was in the first Nightmare on Elm Street?

Hmm...who else...I remeber when Kirk Cameron and Leonardo Di Caprio were on Growing Pains together. Oh, and all of the guys in the Outsiders. I am going to need help with that : Matt Dillon...who else?
found by MMETP, courtesy of em3228 @ photobucket
Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kymberli »

You know who came to mind first, River Phoenix, and what about the two Corey's. They were in just about every movie that was made in the 80s.
Last edited by Kymberli on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Outsiders...http://www.patrickswayze.net/outsiders1.jpg

Ralph Macchio--http://www.classicmoviekids.com/images/ ... lph301.jpg

Tom Cruise--http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/ ... 5B1%5D.jpg

C. Thomas Howell--http://lavender.fortunecity.com/jerning ... biopic.jpg

Patrick Swayze--http://cm1.dotspotter.com/media/0/58/67 ... 7x424.jpeg

That took me way to long. I am not savvy enough. And, I was too lazy to go back and look at how to make a word a link. I should just remember, but my mind is not working right now. Oh well. Links didn't work. Sorry ladies.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

by Laniyeah on photobucket
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

una wrote:I thought of this question, what actor do you think most epitomizes/symbolizes our generation? If able/possible, please provide picture link.
I'm not sure if I understood the question clearly, Una.
Here are the girls I think represented our generation pretty well, al beit in different ways.
Molly Ringwald
Shannen Doherty

I grew bored of looking up pictures.
Guys:
Rob Lowe (Thanks Bac!)
Kirk Cameron
Anthony Michael Hall
Michael J. Fox
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

una wrote:Okay, I've gotten us on some heavy discussion topics. We need a break for some fun. I thought of this question, what actor do you think most epitomizes/symbolizes our generation? If able/possible, please provide picture link.

Good Question.

I think for the Girls I would have to Agree on Drew Barrymore

The only guys I could think of that hadn't been named were David Hasselhoff His Knight Rider Years

And Kirk Cameron on Growing Pains

Sorry for no links but I'm still only able to sit here at minutes at a time before I need to go lay back down. I am at the point where I wish I hadn't have done this surgery the Hernia part is really bad painful, but anyway I like this Una. Everyone have a good rest of the week.