A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 13 - Confessions

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1. The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?
Bella: she admits that she is afraid because she can't stay with him and "i'd like to stay with you much more than I should."
Edward: says it's not only her company that he craves, but nonetheless cannot bear to be without her. "Yes, you are exactly my brand of heroin." He also admits that he's never had these feeling before...

2. Edward tells Bella everything that he has been doing "off page" up until now. Most of these moments will be shown in "Midnight Sun." Which moment are you most looking forward to reading?
EVERYTHING...oh, gees. I really hope SM finishes it. I'm sure she will and I can't blame her for putting it off for a little while. Out of respect for her, I will not be reading it until it's bound and published.

3. The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?
Their feelings towards each other. Even Edwards are so human. Love transcends everything is the message, I think.

4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you
Wow. I will say that when he listened to her heart in the meadow was absolutely one of the most romantic things I've ever read. The whole image of it. Whoa. And how bout that first kiss...
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

1. The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?
Bella admits how much Edward really means to her. And Edward, when he says Bella is "exactly his type of heroin" Insane!

2. Edward tells Bella everything that he has been doing "off page" up until now. Most of these moments will be shown in "Midnight Sun." Which moment are you most looking forward to reading?
I'm excited for it all, really. As long as I get to read it one day!

3. The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?
They are just laying together, and being themselves. And Bella gets too close to Edward, he reacts normal. Its just so human..all of it.

4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?
I just love the way Bella rubs Edward and touches him. Its so simple and romantic.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

Bella didn't make much of a confession to Edward, she only told him that he already knew how she felt and that by her coming there it meant that she would rather die than stay away from him. More important I think she confessed to herself how much she really loved him, and that she knew that if he were to go away now it would cause he a lot of pain. The confession of Edward's that I love now is the one that other people have mentioned. "You are the most important thing to me now. The most important thing to me ever. But that's just because it totally made me swoon, I think the most meaninful confession, at least to Bella (and me as the reader in her shoes) was when Edward explained the entire process he went through with himself and explained his behavior step by step up until that point. The way he acted in the beginning of the book had always been a point of frustration for me, and Bella too. I felt it was awesome for him to explain himself even though he didn't have to.

I've already read the Midnight Sun chapters, but if I had to pick like I hadn't read them yet. I am crazy curious to hear the conversations that he has with Carlisle and Alice regarding Bella and his feelings for her. I want to know about the argument that she caused between the Cullens also.

3. The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter? I think that Bella is totally giving in to her feelings/instincts about Edward shows her humanity. I have always felt that she was pretty human. I think Edward admitted his weakness regarding Bella and his desire for her shows humanity. Vampires are perfect and aren't supposed to have weaknesses. His humanity also shows after he confesses to her as they are going back to the truck, the kiss, the drive home, the talking in her room. Bella remarks that she has never seen him so genuinely in a good mood, its like he's allowing himself to feel his feelings for her without feeling so tortured. He's just living in the moment, which is very human.

4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?
*swoon!* Oh there were so many! I really like when Edward is listening to her heart. Her heartbeat means so much to him. Of course the kiss. And also in the truck when he runs his lips from her chin to her ear and back again, that is insane(ly hot)!
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
Celestial_Topaz
Wandering Through Town

Post by Celestial_Topaz »

I think that the most meaningful confession that Edward told to Bella was that how hard it was not to kill her.

When Edward was in Alaska, and what he was thinking.

When they admit things to each other and Edward gently presses his face against Bella's hair.

The most romantic moment for me was when Edward listened to Bella's heart.
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

I think Bella's most meaningful confession is when she tells Edward that she would rather die than stay away from him. She has accepted the possibility that she could die as a result of spending this day with Edward. I think Edward's most meaningful confession was when he explained exactly to Bella what the scent of her blood is to him. Like 200 year old cognac to an alcoholic. His brand of heroin. Basically, that he very nearly murdered her the day they met.

Umm, I already read the partial draft of Midnight Sun ( ;) ), so I can say which moment(s) I enjoyed reading the most. I liked all the parts where he eavesdropped on everyone's conversations with Bella, and when he was basically stalking Bella. I never realized just how obsessed he was. It definitely made me realize that maybe Edward really does love Bella more than she loves him.

I think the physical contact they finally have is the best show of humanity in this chapter. He explores the human desires he has in his core when they just sit and caress each other, feeling each small touch. They have some serious physical attractions to each other that are very human.

Probably when he just holds her...
In a very human gesture, he put his arms around me and pressed his face against my hair." (p.278)
I also really liked when he got really excited about showing her how he runs in the forest, because he was so excited about sharing something about his true self with her.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

Alphie wrote: 4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?

It would probably be when the way he listened to her heart beat. Freakish, but who cares. Its Edward!
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
HEYi'mvictoria
Settled in Forks
Location: Evesham, constantly cloudy and rainy, like Forks but not half as exciting

Post by HEYi'mvictoria »

1. The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part? I think ,on Bellas' part, the most meaningful confession was when she said she would rather die than stay way from him. For Bella, throughout book her problem has been that she couldn't express her feelings well, and when she finally tells Edward how much she cares for him, it's overwhelming. On Edwards' part the most meaningful confession is when he tells her how hard it is to be near her. The normal person would be horrified at this, and he knows that. But he tells her anyway, because half of him wants to frighten her. Because if there is even the slightest chance that she won't run away and she'll stay with him despite the truth then he'll try.

2. The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?I think the point when they are most human is when he's just holding her with his lips pressed to her hair. It was such a human thing to do. It's nice that he still has human instints, albeit they're deep down but they're there.

3. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you? The most romantic bit for me was when Edward said You are the most important thing to me now. The most important thing to me ever. My chest just swelled with emotionn. I mean I usually get attached to good books, but they rarely have this affect on me. He was just so vulnerable, and when characters like Edward are suddenly vulnerable it's just so endearing. She could have knocked him back, We knew she wouldn't because we know what she's thinking, but Edward truly believed that he didn't deserve her and that she didn't love him as he loved her. He trusted her implicitly with his heart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And, by the way, I adore you...in frightening,dangerous ways
--Edward Cullen Midnight Sun
"And,by the way, I adore you ... in frightening, dangerous ways.
-- Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
EllaMinnowPee
Settled in Forks

Post by EllaMinnowPee »

Alphie wrote:1. The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?

I can't wait to read every word. But mostly I am looking forward to reading Edward's feelings for Bella. I am not a romantic person; usually declarations of ever-lasting love are too sickeningly sweet for me; but those kind of conversations between Edward and Bella are the best parts of this series and I can't wait to read more of them. I did enjoy reading Edward's explanations of his actions- why he seemed to hate her in the beginning, why he left for a few days, etc. Stephenie does that a lot- she describes events through Bella's eyes and then we have to wait as long as Bella has to wait for an explanation. I guess that's all part of writing in the first-person; imagine how different this series would be if it was written in the third-person.

I loved this chapter of the book. It was just perfect. Before I lent my book to someone else, I skimmed it again so I could remember it better- my damn memory is like a sieve. It came as no surprise when I read that this was the first chapter Stephenie wrote, the chapter that the whole book is built around. That the whole thing came to her in a dream is amazing, and inspring. I'm going to try to get more sleep so I can dream up something to write a book around too!
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I think that the most meaningful confession on Bellas part was when she said
I was afraid..because, for well, obvious reasons i cant staywith you. And im afraid that id like to stay with you, much more than I should
And for Edward it was when he said
"Isabella." He pronounces my full name careully, then playfully ruffles my hair with his free hand. A shock ran throught my bosy at his causal touch. "Bella, I couldn't live with myself f i ever hurt you. You dont know how its tortured me." He looked down, ashamed again. "The thought of you, still, while, cold..to never see you blush scarlet again, to never see that flash of intuition in your eyes when you see through my pretenses...it would be unendurable." He lifted his glorious, agonized eyes to mine. "You are the most improtant thing to me now. The most improtant thing to me ever"
Im not really interested in the things he tells her. I am more interested in hearing what he is thinking at different points in the book. Expecially when they are in the meadow.

When Edward kissed her. I think that is a very human moment. I mean, when someone kissed you its like a Rush. You have so many feelings, and its just the most amazing thing in the world. I know that Edward would just love to go farther..but he is afraid of hurting her..and Bella wants more. Craves more kind of. And I think thats what makes that moment human. Idk. Thats just my perspective.

4. This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you? The most romantic moment for me was when they were in the meadow and Edward is basically testing his strength with Bella. Listening to her heart. I loved that part.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
bubblylittlealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by bubblylittlealice »

For bella would be saying she would rather die then stay away from him. That is a really big thing to say, if you said something like that you would really have to mean it. Edward would be telling her how hard it is to be near her. They were both very open.
Everthing!!!! He does explane some stuff but that was a whole year he was with her so you could just think of all the things he did.
Feeling for each other, Edward is very human to her like about his feelings (most of the time)
Everyting, the meadow was soooo sweet i could have cried with joy. Im sure every girl wishes she was bella there (i know i did). The first kiss, wow that's all i have to say ;)
'I think she’s having hysterics. Maybe you should slap her'-Alice Cullen
I'm betting on Alice ;)
Jasper Hale can mess with my emotions any day