The Third Table

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Re: The Third Table

Post by nissanmama »

cullengirl wrote:In my opinion, I don't think Edward loved Bella until New Moon. I think he was still trying to find out what she really meant to him, which is why I think he needed to leave.
In answer to the question of what Edward was doing during the time he was Alaska at the beginning of TW, I seem to recall SM saying that he was falling in love with Bella. His love for her is why he's able to overcome himself and stop drinking Bella's blood after killing James. No, misguided as he was, I think he left Bella because he thought he was keeping her safe.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

[quote="cullengirl"]Hi, December! *waves back*

I dunno if that changes anything for me, personally. In my opinion, I don't think Edward loved Bella until New Moon. I think he was still trying to find out what she really meant to him, which is why I think he needed to leave.quote]

Well, without trying to give too much away if you havent read midnight sun...Edward was 'wretchedly' in love with Bella in Twilight...and when he left her in NM he was trying to do what was best for her...because of that love....
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Ouisa wrote:"no book is worth reading at the age of 10 which is not equally (and often far more) worth reading at the age of 50 "CS Lewis
I completely agree. As others before me have said (and some far more eloquently) a book that is "worth" reading at one age will still be "worth" reading later. Let's look at the definition of worth:
  • –preposition
    1. good or important enough to justify (what is specified): advice worth taking; a place worth visiting.
    2. having a value of, or equal in value to, as in money: This vase is worth 12 dollars.
    3. having property to the value or amount of: They are worth millions.
    –noun
    4. excellence of character or quality as commanding esteem: women of worth.
    5. usefulness or importance, as to the world, to a person, or for a purpose: Your worth to the world is inestimable.
    6. value, as in money.
    7. a quantity of something of a specified value: ten cents' worth of candy.
    8. wealth; riches; property or possessions: net worth.
If the book has merit, a spiritual connection to you, if it reaches out and grabs a hold of either your mind, heart, and/or soul, it will always be "worth" something to you, as in above, it is justifiable. A book of "worth" is something that to you is important and useful for whatever purpose you deem it. As we age, the meaning and context of it in our lives will evolve/change, but it will always have the value and be "worth" reading.
nissanmama wrote:And yet I go into the library and see all those shelves covered with all those books (especially college libraries) and feel a little like Burgess Meredith's character in that Twilight Zone episode before the bomb hit (Time Enough to Last). I just want to sit and read and not be bothered with real life.
Nima, I am SO with you! Sometimes I feel that work and hubby get in the way of my love affair with books. :? When I saw this Twilight Zone episode, I completely connected with the character. I even wear glasses so I could feel his anguish. If only Edward were around...one short bite and I would have "time enough" to sit in the library and read until my heart's content for all eternity. I know I can get tired of watching television but I never get tired of reading.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

MRK wrote:
cullengirl wrote:I dunno if that changes anything for me, personally. In my opinion, I don't think Edward loved Bella until New Moon. I think he was still trying to find out what she really meant to him, which is why I think he needed to leave.
Well, without trying to give too much away if you havent read midnight sun...Edward was 'wretchedly' in love with Bella in Twilight...and when he left her in NM he was trying to do what was best for her...because of that love....
That's what is said in Midnight Sun. Not necessarily what actually comes across. Just as Stephenie has said she's anti-human, not anti-female, yet it's women that get the short end of the stick about 98% of the time. In MS he doesn't sound in love; he just sounds obsessed. Creepily so. When he calls it love, it sounds more like a euphemism. There's just something about it that "love" I don't believe, as if it's contrived rather than flowing naturally. Not to mention Edward is narrating and I don't believe him to be any more a reliable narrator than Bella.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

But if Edward was just obsessed, not in love, he wouldn't have stopped drinking Bella's blood. He would have consumed his obsession, not treated her with kid gloves.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Alcyone

Post by Alcyone »

We didn't see that part in MS though. We didn't see the story develop. We just saw an unbelievable beginning, imo.

Besides, who is to say that his desire to not be a monster proved stronger? It was the image of Carlisle's face that stopped him at first. With Carlisle present, wouldn't his will have been even stronger, aided by the few weeks of acclimation? I actually much prefer this to simply love, even if love might have played a part. It speaks volume for him as a strong-willed character, something I've seen little of.
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Alcyone wrote:We didn't see that part in MS though. We didn't see the story develop. We just saw an unbelievable beginning, imo.

Besides, who is to say that his desire to not be a monster proved stronger? It was the image of Carlisle's face that stopped him at first. With Carlisle present, wouldn't his will have been even stronger, aided by the few weeks of acclimation? I actually much prefer this to simply love, even if love might have played a part. It speaks volume for him as a strong-willed character, something I've seen little of.
I don't think love stopped him from killing Bella at FIRST...when he was with her in biology...that was 100% will...but I believe, by the time our short little glimpse into Midnight Sun was over, he was in love. I agree, it took him a bit to get to the point of love...(Alice saying, "Edward, I'm going to love her too." and Edward replying, "love her TOO?" Like most men, hes a dope and can't even tell when love has biatch slapped him in the back of the head....but I do believe it was an honest and true love, and it was because of that love that he left her...not because he was testing his love, although in a way, he did test it...he thought it was strong enough to keep him away...but in fact, it was too strong to allow him to be away.
Anyway, thats just my opinion....my husband says I'm too much the optimist though...so, maybe you all are right lol...
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Alcyone wrote: In MS he doesn't sound in love; he just sounds obsessed. Creepily so. When he calls it love, it sounds more like a euphemism. There's just something about it that "love" I don't believe, as if it's contrived rather than flowing naturally. Not to mention Edward is narrating and I don't believe him to be any more a reliable narrator than Bella.
I'm with you, Alcyone. I think it was more an infatuation. Yes, he does tell her that he loves her but it doesn't feel real. He doesn't come across as if he understands why he says it and what it exactly means. I think he's still sorting out his feelings. Can you blame him, especially being by himself for 108 yrs?
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Alcyone

Post by Alcyone »

Especially being 17 and by himself for 100 odd years. At least the poor boy isn't a virgin anymore. If he didn't get laid, he would have exploded. I can just hear Emmett taunting him. Poor thing.
SparklingDiamond
Wandering Through Town

Post by SparklingDiamond »

I think it was more an infatuation. Yes, he does tell her that he loves her but it doesn't feel real. He doesn't come across as if he understands why he says it and what it exactly means. I think he's still sorting out his feelings. Can you blame him, especially being by himself for 108 yrs?
But isn't infatuation a phase of love? That's what new love is. You're so wrapped up in feelings that you just can't get enough of the person you've fallen for. But, as you said, Edward didn't know what all of this meant. I remember when I was a teenager how amazing and confusing those feelings of first love were. First love, and early love for that matter, have a certain degree of obsession about them. Love changes over time. In fact, I think the loss of the obsession factor is one of the reasons why couples drift apart. They want to feel that magic again, which of course you can, if you're willing to work for it. Plus, everyone loves differently. I'd like to hope that at some point everyone feels a "crazy" love like that of Edward and Bella, even if just for a short phase. If someone never felt that in a lifetime, frankly, I'd feel sorry for them.