Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Renesmee

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Meteora wrote:I didn't dislike Renesmee, but I thought there might have been an issue with having Bella's daughter be a character in a story told from Bella's perspective. Obviously, every mother thinks that their baby is perfect, and Bella is no exception. And to me, Renesmee became kind of the ultimate Mary Sue--we just kept hearing about how exceptional and special and talented and beautiful she was and how everyone loved her so, so much and so on and so forth. To me, it wasn't all that interesting. This is the child of Edward and Bella, both of whom are stubborn to a fault and who at times are so sure about the right thing to do that they end up making large errors that hurt other people in their quests to achieve it. I would have liked to see Renesmee end up with a trait like that, something that frustrated people or annoyed them or just anything to show that she was flawed like the rest of them. Obviously, being flawed people hasn't decreased the rest of the characters' love for each other. I often find in stories that when I'm constantly hit over the head by how perfect and wonderful someone is and how I should love, love, love him or her, it makes me feel the opposite. My favorite characters tend to be the grayer ones who are three-dimensional and have a variety of traits, both positive and negative. I just was not drawn in by Renesmee, and at times I felt Ms. Meyer was trying too hard to make us like her.

i totally agree with this. i think that's why i wasn't fascinated by her or anything. i wasn't in love with her.

but she is very young. she probably doesn't really HAVE negative traits yet, if that makes sense.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
catieolacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by catieolacullen »

Was I the only one who thought when Carlisle and Jacob and them were talking about the chromosomes and stuff and how Nessie ended up with 24 she would be a werewolf? Because that's how many werewolves have and all? Probably... or I'm repeating someone, sorry if I am. But that's what I was thinking, then I was thinking, and I was like naah. She'll be half and half or something. And does anyone think that Nessie's having 24 chromosomes has anything to do with Jacob's imprinting on her???
La tua cantante...
HATE SPINNERBAIT!
Is anyone else here a Sarah Dessen fan, also?
YourFavoriteAries
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by YourFavoriteAries »

Yeah Nessie was pretty one dimensional but I agree she IS young and Bella is really biased to say the least...lol

But she does have some of her parents "negative" traits they were just subtle. She's a bit full of herself in that "I'm always right, HA" kind of way. Like after Irina showed up when she was telling Bella how it looked like donated blood would have to do after all or after almost every time she won someone over.

She shows off...allot. You can tell sometimes she just does stuff because she feels like someone should be looking at her. And also that scene with the silverware, Rose said "demanding" Bella and Edward. Demanding, not asking or wanting but "I want Mommy and Daddy NOW!!". That also shows she's got 0 patience and she got snappy with Eleazer pretty quick when he flinched away from her power....

Plus if there are future books I have a feeling she's going to be a spoiled little princess. Her parents and probably most of the family will love and ADORE her but everyone else will just think she's spoiled and annoying. Right now she's kinda cute and precocious but that's gonna play out pretty soon for her...

NOTHING will ever be denied to that girl. She's pretty, talented, smart, rich...Pretty much a recipe for disaster since she's already smug.

She's got positive traits to like being loyal, strong, and noble. The scene right before Tanya and her family came where she said the whole thing was her fault. And she's really eager to help with anything. She's very competitive (seen with Jacob and Bella hunting) which is a trait that can go either way depending.

But yeah, it was all very subtle and you had to read really far into it to get any of that. Since it was the "adoring mom" telling the story you almost had to forget everything she said and take what Nessie did at face value. lol.
Private Chloe Meadows of Jaspers Confederate Army- Stainless Carlet
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

YourFavoriteAries wrote:snip
But yeah, it was all very subtle and you had to read really far into it to get any of that. Since it was the "adoring mom" telling the story you almost had to forget everything she said and take what Nessie did at face value. lol.

Which would make it very interesting to get more story from Nessie's pov. From what we've seen of her so far, she's definitely not Bella 2.0
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

cataclysm wrote:
YourFavoriteAries wrote:snip

Which would make it very interesting to get more story from Nessie's pov. From what we've seen of her so far, she's definitely not Bella 2.0
well, i don't necessarily think so. i think it would be more interesting to see her from jake or leah's POV, because they are going to be less biased. well, leah will.

i just think, and i know this is going to sound ridiculous, that she hasn't EARNED her own book yet.

cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

holdingoutforjacob wrote: snip

i just think, and i know this is going to sound ridiculous, that she hasn't EARNED her own book yet.
It doesn't sound ridiculous HOFJ. I'm all for seeing more of jake's pov too, but I don't think SM intends to write from his pov anymore (at least not extensively), IF she writes anymore about these characters at all. Sad, I know, but if I can get more Jake through nessie's pov, then so be it. Also, I'm not adverse to learning more of nessie's story, and I definitely want to read more about leah.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

oh, i definitely want to see nessie and jacob's story, i just think it should be from his POV. i mean, i'd probably read it if it was nessie anyway, but if she turned out like her mother....

Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

catieolacullen wrote:Was I the only one who thought when Carlisle and Jacob and them were talking about the chromosomes and stuff and how Nessie ended up with 24 she would be a werewolf? Because that's how many werewolves have and all? Probably... or I'm repeating someone, sorry if I am. But that's what I was thinking, then I was thinking, and I was like naah. She'll be half and half or something. And does anyone think that Nessie's having 24 chromosomes has anything to do with Jacob's imprinting on her???
Ye, yes, yes! I was thinking the same things, too!! When I was reading that part, I was like, "what?" It really stopped me, then I got confused and had to turn back a page and read again.... Steph said that there were hints in the story line, and I guess that was one of them. Another one- when Jacob left to go find a girl to imprint upon, and he said that his best chance for a "genetic match" would be back on the rez, but that he had already "seen" all the girls there... I read that last night, and it CLICKED! 24 pairs each= genetic match! Yeah, I didn't catch that the first time I read it.
Nessie was a total shock to me. I had this idea of what BD was going to be... I thought that Bella's change would trigger a war between the vamps and wolves; I thought that they would move away, and that the book would be about her life as a vampire... I was pleasantly surprised by the events of the book. I loved Nessie's power- the opposite of what Edward can do.
Mrs.EdwardCullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by Mrs.EdwardCullen »

Well, I NEVER thought that Bella would be able to survive Renesmee. With her, what, breaking her ribs and stuff. And when Bella had to drink blood for her, although it might have been a little gross to all of us at the time, once you got used to it, it was actually quite cute. By that, you could tell that Bella wanted to have that baby. I first thought that Bella might pass out. I mean, if she faints at the sight and smell of blood.... ew. :mrgreen: But all in all, I LOVE little Renesmee. I love her power, too. And her little bronze colored curls. And eyes like her HUMAN mothers. And her little locket with the picture of the family. I cried a lot with Renesmee. The thought of losing her. To the Volturi, to Caius. Ugh. And when I read that Jacob imprinted on her, I wanted to spring at him myself. And his little "nickname" for her. NESSIE?!?!?!? Are you kidding me? I couldn't go on. I closed the book, threw it on the ground, then picked it back up, apoligized to it, mainly to Edward, then kept on reading. So, like I said, all in all, I LOVED Renesmee. Stupid little dog. :evil:
Here's the code:
Jacob: "I told you so."
Bella: "Did you know that I told you so has a brother? His name is shut the hell up."
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:oh, i definitely want to see nessie and jacob's story, i just think it should be from his POV. i mean, i'd probably read it if it was nessie anyway, but if she turned out like her mother....
Yeah,bella has some great qualities, but I would hope that Nessie would be more moderate in some ways....and less clingy.