Imprinting

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Imprinting

Postby Ellie Ibis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:33 pm

*Wanderer* wrote:
Ellie Ibis wrote:I used to love the idea of imprinting. Of course, when I first read the book I had just gotten out of a relationship, and I was completely and utterly in love with the idea of someone having such unconditional love. There's such certainty in imprinting, and that is definitely attractive.

Now I don't see it that way. I dislike the lack of free will, the lack of choice in the matter of imprinting. To me it would not be true love, it would be more like a curse, especially if you were a werewolf in an already established relationship, like Leah and Sam were. When you turn into a werewolf and you haven't imprinted, but you're in love with someone... how can do that? How can you look that person in the eye and tell them you love them when you know tomorrow could come, you could walk down the street, and then be essentially a slave to your feelings and forced to leave that person for another, whom you barely know?

The magic in love is the magic of choice, of the randomness and the luck it takes in finding someone you can get along with, you can spend the rest of your life with. The certainty of imprinting removes all that, it deludes that. It take away any natural, safe, new and gentle attraction, it takes away the work and the feelings you have when you know the relationship you're nurturing it flourishing, and forces it on you before you even know the person you're dedicating your life for.


I totally see your point. It does sort of take away the magic of love... you don't get that spontaneous (for lack of a better word) feeling of a new love.

Great ideas! I'm glad you posted this because I would've been totally frustrated with myself trying to put how I feel into words.

Love,
*Wanderer*



Haha. Thanks. I only wish I could write something as nice for my classes. Personal opinions on the novels I read? No problem, but a thesis on the Effects of Living in a Technology-Based Society, I can't seem to get past "Uh, IT MAKES PEOPLE DUMBER." (okay, that was an exaggeration.)


As for your question concerning as to whether or not the person imprinted on imprints back: I believe the answer it no. It mentioned is -some- Twilight novel that "it's hard to resist that level of devotion" (in terms of the person being imprinted on not wanting to be with the imprinter), implying they still have free will to refuse to accept the relationship.
the cops & the kids & the cats & the robbers
& the stolen moments from the out of tune guitars
User avatar
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:43 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Imprinting

Postby Landiana » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:04 am

they might still have the free will to resit, but there is always going to be that person there, loving you. i think that takes away the choices, because in the end they will most probably end up with the person imprinted on them. i dont think that is fair. it takes out all of the fun of dating and getting to know someone. it is like it is preordained and there is nothing that people can do about it, ergo takes away the choices.
Ellie Ibis wrote:Haha. Thanks. I only wish I could write something as nice for my classes. Personal opinions on the novels I read? No problem, but a thesis on the Effects of Living in a Technology-Based Society, I can't seem to get past "Uh, IT MAKES PEOPLE DUMBER." (okay, that was an exaggeration.)


i wish i could do that as wel. instead i have to write an essay on "how does jane austen use pride and prejudice to show life in 18th century britain2. i mean i like jane austen, but analysing it is irrtating. it is almost as bad as analysing Lord of the Flies (that is my GCSE exam text)
User avatar
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:42 am
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Re: Imprinting

Postby everlong » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:58 pm

It does take the choice away from the imprinter - but it seems that the joy they receive back from that person outweighs the fact that they don't get to "love" anyone else.

But the way jacob changed after he saw Renesemee broke my heart, he was no longer the Jacob I came to knew and fell in love with. He was just never spoke without it being about his concern for renesmee, he was no longer playful or witty. :(

Paul and Sam didn't seem that way, and Quil could speak without it being about Clair, so maybe there is hope yet. And in that case i would not mind being imprinted on by any of the werewolves at all :D

As long is Jacob, is still, my Jacob ;)
Image
User avatar
everlong
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: Being held in Jacob's arms

Re: Imprinting

Postby Lunna-san » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:05 pm

everlong wrote:It does take the choice away from the imprinter - but it seems that the joy they receive back from that person outweighs the fact that they don't get to "love" anyone else.

But the way jacob changed after he saw Renesemee broke my heart, he was no longer the Jacob I came to knew and fell in love with. He was just never spoke without it being about his concern for renesmee, he was no longer playful or witty. :(

Paul and Sam didn't seem that way, and Quil could speak without it being about Clair, so maybe there is hope yet. And in that case i would not mind being imprinted on by any of the werewolves at all :D

As long is Jacob, is still, my Jacob ;)


Oh, everlong. Your post made me sad and I'm not even a Jacob's fan. I think Jake's case with Nessie is a bit more complicated than the others, even Quil and Clair. Because she's not just a little girl like Clair. She was a half-human kid and nobody knows what's going to happen with her, how long she was going to live., etc. And she's Jacob's girl, so I think it's normal for him to be concerned. I believe, if there is another book about his story with Nessie, we will see more of your and Nessie's Jacob, witty and playful. ;)
User avatar
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: Imprinting

Postby maddy<3twilight » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:37 pm

Someone PLEASE help me. Thell me if this is right.
ok Jacob imprinted on ... Bella? then he, um, unimprinted on her whenshe became a vampire? then he reimprinted on Renesmee?
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
Image
User avatar
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: Looking for Taylor Lautner!

Re: Imprinting

Postby Ellie Ibis » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:10 pm

maddy<3twilight wrote:Someone PLEASE help me. Thell me if this is right.
ok Jacob imprinted on ... Bella? then he, um, unimprinted on her whenshe became a vampire? then he reimprinted on Renesmee?


Jacob never imprinted on Bella. If he had, he would have been able to tell her he was a werewolf in New Moon, instead of having her guess.
the cops & the kids & the cats & the robbers
& the stolen moments from the out of tune guitars
User avatar
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:43 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Imprinting

Postby maddy<3twilight » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:13 pm

OMG thanks so much I told my friend that he didn't but she said he did :x I am gonna tell her :lol:
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
Image
User avatar
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: Looking for Taylor Lautner!

Re: Imprinting

Postby bite_me » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:14 am

Just a question . . .

If the main reason Jacob was so addicted to Bella was because she was half renesmee . . . why didn't he fall desperately in love with the other half of Nessie . . . Aka Edward?

Sorry. I just had to mention that. :mrgreen:
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
User avatar
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:45 am
Location: Australia! =D

Re: Imprinting

Postby maddy<3twilight » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:51 pm

bite_me wrote:
Just a question . . .

If the main reason Jacob was so addicted to Bella was because she was half renesmee . . . why didn't he fall desperately in love with the other half of Nessie . . . Aka Edward?

Sorry. I just had to mention that.

Wow you guys do some serious thinking. That is a really good question. umm I don't know what to say maybe Jacob did like Edward but he didn't know it because he never let Edward have a chance, because Bella liked Edward and not Jacob so Jacob was mad. (and he never gave Edward a chance because he was a vampire) I hope that makes sense haha
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
Image
User avatar
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: Looking for Taylor Lautner!

Re: Imprinting

Postby Amivera » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:20 pm

bite_me wrote:Just a question . . .

If the main reason Jacob was so addicted to Bella was because she was half renesmee . . . why didn't he fall desperately in love with the other half of Nessie . . . Aka Edward?

Sorry. I just had to mention that. :mrgreen:

I don't believe that's the reason Jacob was addicted to Bella. Otherwise, SMeyer logic has committed suicide yet again, because if Jacob was attracted to a single, unfertilized egg in Bella, which had a one in a million chance of becoming Renesmee, that is just absurd.

Anyway, the fact that Jacob was in love with Bella would only interfere with the birth of Renesmee. That's like suicide. If Bella had somehow ended up with Jacob, there would be no Renesmee— unless the author would have gone completely off the deep end and have had Jacob imprint on his OWN baby! :shock:

Also, on what everlong was saying, I think the reason Jacob was so out of character was that SMeyer took lumps of Forever Dawn (which was written far before Jacob had been developed as a character) and threw them into the mix of Breaking Dawn.

She said she hated editing, and a lot of her books seem completely unedited, so it wouldn't surprise me if she just left it like that— Frankenstein-esque.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
User avatar
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests