A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Adrenaline

Post by BlueStarlight »

1.) Knowing how Bella reacted in chapter five of Twilight to blood, were you surprised when Bella didn't react all that much to the blood? Not really; her adrenaline was rushing and she was too excited about riding the motorcycle to notice the smell of blood.

2.) What did you think about the mention of the bears? Did you consider that it might play a future role in the book or did you not think anything of it? At this point, I started to think there might be something to it.

3.) What was your opinion of the La Push guys at this point in the story? I really didn't know what to think... they are teenage guys, sometimes they can be more fickle than teenage girls.

4.) How did you feel about Bella looking for the meadow with Jacob? Oh, I seriously was hoping it wouldn't backfire, like she said. It just felt ALL WRONG to me, too- the meadow is hers and Edward's spot, special, sacred.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1.) Knowing how Bella reacted in chapter five of Twilight to blood, were you surprised when Bella didn't react all that much to the blood?
Not really. I guess I didn't think about it much.

2.) What did you think about the mention of the bears? Did you consider that it might play a future role in the book or did you not think anything of it?
I thought it would play a future role in the book

3.) What was your opinion of the La Push guys at this point in the story?
I wasn't really sure. I was suspicious though.

4.) How did you feel about Bella looking for the meadow with Jacob?
I could see her desperation. I was surprised that she would have Jacob help her find it, but then I realized that she probably NEVER would find it on her own without his help.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1.) Knowing how Bella reacted in chapter five of Twilight to blood, were you surprised when Bella didn't react all that much to the blood?
A little bit. It seemed like she should have been more squeamish, but I think Edward's voice and Jacob had her mind on other things at the time.

2.) What did you think about the mention of the bears? Did you consider that it might play a future role in the book or did you not think anything of it?
I said earlier that I knew they were going to come into the story somehow, but I wasn't sure exactly how. I wasn't sure if they were bears or not, but something that wasn't normal.

I thought they were very strange, but of course I wanted to know what they were really up to. And also, since I am reading in Bella's POV, I was a little upset that they upset Jacob so much and I want an explanation for him.

I thought this might be a very bad idea. If I were Bella I don't think I would be ready to go to the meadow, even if I did think that I would hear Edward's voice, and I wouldn't want anyone with me when I did go in case I broke down or something. But she takes him I guess because she doesn't think she can find it without him. And she doesn't want to let him down by cancelling a time they had planned to spend together.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

Yes and No. Yes because when she was in biology it was the smell that made her sick. I also say no because she has been through a lot now. With the birthday party and at the dance studio. She is use to the smell now.

I was thinking that Bella might run into the bears or something.

I just thought they were being boys. Trying to be cool and fitting in.

I thought it was cool. I mean i didnt really think much of it..I just think she wanted to make sure Edward wasnt just in her imagination.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
squeakmouse25
Wandering Through Town

Post by squeakmouse25 »

I forgot about the "blood typing" thing. That is sort of funny that she was afraid of a drop of blood and not her own head gushing blood. :lol: She probably got over that squeamishness somewhere in the midst of hanging out with vampires, and almost bleeding to death in the ballet studio.

I definitely thought it was a foreshadow of some kind, otherwise why would she bother write it in? I already had some werewolf suspicions at this point, I didn't think the bears were the wolves though... because bears don't really look like wolves.. haha. I just thought Bella would get herself into some kind of scary situation with a bear in the woods.

I was pretty sure Jacob would somehow get sucked into the "cult", and i knew the "cult" would definitely play a role later in the story...
I thought it was creepy... I had an ominous feeling the whole time i was reading about them in the woods. It was even creepier when she went alone.
--Squeakmouse--
iamangelcat
Settled in Forks

Post by iamangelcat »

I was sort of surprised, but at the same time I wasn't. I think that she was just too distracted. The moss must have had an awfully strong smell to keep her from smelling the blood gushing down the side of her face!

I though that Bella was probably going to get attacked or something. Then Edward would come in swooping and save her. Knowing Bella, that was very likely to happen.

I thought they were jerks, really. High and mighty jerks that thought they could own the town or something. Or that they just thought it was their job to be the police force in La Push. Like they thought they were so much better that they could just do that.

I thought it was a lot like deja vu. I mean, Jacob kinda reminds me of Edward sometimes. It's strange. I actually thought that it might be a mistake on Bellas part to go there in the first place. If she was trying to protect herself from falling apart, but the desire to hear Edwards voice rang too loudly I guess.
BrandOfHeroine
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by BrandOfHeroine »

I felt so weird about it. I was like, "Didn't she react strongly to blood? What's wrong with her now?" Yeah, but probably she was distracted or something. But yeah, it definitely was weird.

I just thought it was a random thing in it, nothing important. I was really surprised when it turned out to be an important thing in the books.

I thought they were really weird, like Bella says at some point, in a way. They were growing so fast, so when Jacob talked about Sam's gang, I always thought about drugs, so I thought the drugs were making them...big, I guess?
I thought she was being mean by telling Jacob she'd discovered it once, when the only purpose why she wanted to go there was because she'd gone there with Edward and she thought she's hear his voice.
StarEmerson

Post by StarEmerson »

Kind of. But alot things had changed for Bella. Her fears especially. She was so intent on hearing Edward something that scared her so much didnt bother her any more, well not as much. It did say she could smell it and it made her slightly nausous? Didnt it?

I thought Werewolves, straight away! Come on, it was obvious!

I knew they were werewolves!!! Also I had a vauge idea of the plot as I only started reading a couple of months ago!

I think Bella substituted with Jacob alot. She knew it too. It was quite sad really.
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"

twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

No because she her thoughts were preoccupied

I keep wondeing why they call them bears and not wolfs. Of course they will play a part in the books later.

I think they are scary and I have a feeling that they want to bring Jacob into a group that he doesn't want to go into.

She had to take Jacob. She couldn't go alone after being found alone in the woods by Sam. Charlie already has an eye on her. I feel like bringing Jacob made the experience less painful for Bella. I dont have a problem with her taking Jacob because she isn't in love with Jacob so it wouldn't symbolize that Jacob is replacing Edward.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

Not really. I thought her mind was just somewhere else.

Already knew somehow that it would be important... just waiting for it.

Bad joo-joo. Not good news at all. I thought something weird was definitely happening, although technically they weren't doing anything wrong. I mean, they were helping people... but that doesn't get rid of the extreme strangeness of it all.

I wanted to cry. I knew that she just wanted to hear his voice again, but in the back of my head, I thought she was getting that much closer to really letting Edward go. Or at least trying to.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT