Lost TV Series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Lost TV Series

Post by debussygirl »

Twilight<3 wrote:Originally, I thought the island was Hell... I don't know if I'm going
to stick with that theory or not. Plus, several things don't add up.

And
what do you mean you never read any great book on that list? Lord of
the Flies! Great, great book. Slaughterhouse Five! Fantastic book..
I thought that the island was Limbo before, but I don't think so anymore, or else they would be dead. Now I've given up guessing.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Kizmet
Wandering Through Town

Post by Kizmet »

debussygirl wrote: But what I think is interesting is that some of the characters are named after a real or fictional person that they're like. Sawyer is like Tom Sawyer, Michael is Michaelangelo (not the ninja turtle, the painter), Walt is Walt Disney. Those are all I can remember, but I read it in an article somewhere.
I've never heard of those particular names as the inspirations for those characters...are you sure about that? Though many of the names do have meanings. Rousseau was a philosopher, along with Locke and Hume. Jack Shepard (sp?) is the leader of the group - the tender of the flock, if you will. I know there are several more but I can't think of them right now.
Originally, I thought the island was Hell... I don't know if I'm going to stick with that theory or not. Plus, several things don't add up.

And what do you mean you never read any great book on that list? Lord of the Flies! Great, great book. Slaughterhouse Five! Fantastic book..
The Hell/purgatory theory was discredited by the writers a pretty long time ago.

I count books as "great" only if I want to reread them over and over and over again...and as I've only read Lord of the Flies once and don't plan to read it again any time soon, it doesn't fit in that category. Not to say it wasn't good; it just wasn't above and beyond good. I haven't read Slaughterhouse Five.

Of course, I read most of the books that I picked up from Lost around 3 years ago, at the height of my obsession, so I might feel differently about them if I read them now. But as it is I already have far too many books on my list to add any more. :roll:
Proud Twilighter since October 21, 2006.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Yeah, I'm sure. In one of Michael's flashbacks he's drawing something for Walt, hence being Michaelangelo. And Walt always liked those drawings and was imaginative. Sawyer, well, is it so hard to believe he's like Tom? :lol: Yeah, and Locke is the philosopher John Locke, I forgot about that one.
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

A lot of the people on Lost were supposedly named after people. Daniel Faraday was names after Micheal Faraday, the chemist and physicist. I thought I read somewhere too about Kate Austen being named after Jane Austen...but I don't know.

Oh I've read Lord of the Flies too and I didn't really like it. It wasn't really for me. But in a way it reminded me of Lost. I'm sure that's why they threw it in there.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Post by Nena »

ok, so I have only been a fan of Lost for the last year. Last winter my husband and I watched the whole series in about 2 weeks, we were hooked!
It's interesting to read all your theories and how the characters could be name after "others" (no pun intended). I don't know what to think of the Island. At the beginning I thought of it as what people believe of the Bermuda Triangle, and I didn't think anything more of it, but then the whole thing with Ben trying to save the island and being able to physically move it? What was that all about???? I hated the flash forwards of Saaid and Ben. I love Saaid and I don't know if I am confused but it seemed to me like it was the future and not the past. Unless Saaid had encountered Ben before when he was in the military and doesn't remember him. No, I am pretty sure those scenes were in the future.

Omg, there is so much to talk about but I need to take on step at a time. I was also sad about Charlie dying. I would love to see him come back, but I doubt it will happen, especially now that Claire is gone :( . Wow, which reminds me that she is Jack's sister... dang, this series is more complicated than soap operas...

The best part of last season was Penny and Desmund getting together, I think I cried, I can't remember but my heart breaks for those two... that also brings another point... who is Penny's dad? what's the deal with him???

Ok, I am going to stop. I need to. We can't discuss all these things at once. I think we need to have a thread leader to come up with questions that everyone can answer without going of topic ( like I do) and keep the conversation going... Let me know if anyone is interested (pm me)
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Hopefully Hurley will keep on having Charlie's ghost visit him. I'm not ready to let him go!!
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Post by Nena »

Ok, Lost -ies, Lost fans, Lost People, whatever you all want to call yourselves, I have a announcement to make:

Starting now we are going to have a somewhat more serious discussion of the Lost series. ashiekins16 has offered to come up with new questions for discussion and will also be making sure that we all stay in topic until we move on to the next question for discussion.

Depending on how fast this thread moves, we may come up with more questions more often, for now, it will be one question per week. If you have an specific topic or question that you would like to discuss in this thread, please pm ashiekins16 and she will make sure your question is posted and discussed :)

Any questions? feel free to pm me!

ps: by the way, I came across this Lost teaser today!
Kizmet
Wandering Through Town

Post by Kizmet »

Oh, yay! That sounds great. I don't really have anyone to talk to about Lost seriously these days.
Nena wrote: I hated the flash forwards of Saaid and Ben. I love Saaid and I don't know if I am confused but it seemed to me like it was the future and not the past. Unless Saaid had encountered Ben before when he was in the military and doesn't remember him. No, I am pretty sure those scenes were in the future.
Almost all the "flashbacks" in season 4 were flashforwards.
Proud Twilighter since October 21, 2006.
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

Okay great! Well I'll come up with a question by tomorrow and then we can have the questions every Thursday. I like that since (as long as they didn't change it again) Lost is on Thursdays! So I promise to have something up by tomorrow!
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

When is Lost starting again? I haven't heard anything.