Gex X--the 30 something thread

nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by nissanmama »

BlueStarlight wrote:What is the date for Cyber Monday? I remember hearing that term recently in the media. Is it Memorial Day or Labor Day?[/color]
That's the first Monday after the Thanksgiving weekend. Everyone is back at work and using work computers/time to do their Christmas shopping on-line.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
shanon
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by shanon »

vampmadness wrote:
inspired wrote:[

I am trying to imagine a world with no Black Friday *sigh*
If Black friday were not bad enough now we have I think the correct term is black monday (somebody correct me on this) when all the online retailers have huge sales. :twisted: When will the madness never end?!

vampmadness- Actually, I do believe you are right. Last year I heard the term"Black Monday" for sales, also. I am aware that Black Monday was the term they used for the huge stock market crash...but now they are using it for the Monday after Thanksgiving,too. :shock:
EDC,Inc- Dumptruck Trainee!!!
Pic for banner by someone else.
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

shanon,

I think you may be right. I was told earlier today that the official term is cyber monday. But, considering the lack luster sales retailers had last couple of years they probably coined the term for cyber monday too!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Thanks everybody for the support :mrgreen:

Spookybell Christmas stuff is already up in some shop though there's been a lot of interest around Haloween lately, so Christmas stuff is usually put up after it. It's really strange to me because Halloween isn't exactly part of our culture. We have a Catholic celebration but we didn't do "trick or treat" when I was a child...now children dress up and hang around the streets but they don't even know why :lol: So, I have to wait for a couple of weeks to start my Christmas shopping...as I told all of you - in one of the posts you're never gonna read because of my problems with the forum 8-) - I'm going to decorate my Christmas Tree all in silver and violet this year, no matter how much my boyfriend complains (he hates violet and similar colours)

I wish I could live in London: Harrod's opens the Christmas section in August...it's like heaven: superbly decorated and superb decorations and gifts sold. Of course, superbly expensive too :lol:
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

shanon
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by shanon »

vampmadness wrote:shanon,

I think you may be right. I was told earlier today that the official term is cyber monday. But, considering the lack luster sales retailers had last couple of years they probably coined the term for cyber monday too!
I'm think you just "hit the nail on the head" on that one! Way to go! :D
EDC,Inc- Dumptruck Trainee!!!
Pic for banner by someone else.
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

dimber,

It is weird the culture differences between 2 countries. I just assumed that Halloween would have been the same there. Instead of all the kids hanging around the street in costumes, maybe you should start a trick or treat movement :lol:

As far as the decorations go here, the Halloween and Christmas decorations practically come out at the same time.

Not sure if you are familiar with Lowes and Home Depot stores here. They are kind of like huge do it yourself hardware stores. They each have the biggest displays of Christmas decorations you can probably find anywhere. Every year the lawn ornaments get bigger and bigger and more extravagant. Some people live to out do their neighbors outside decorations. It is madness I know. Is it the same there? I mean with the outside decorations?
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

vampmadness I was thinking just the other day to join my students in their treat or trick wanderings :lol: I'm their teacher...I can use adult supervision as an excuse and steal them all the treats :mrgreen:

We don't have Lowes and Home Depot here in Italy and Christmas outside decorations are not that big here. In some neighbourhoods, the classy or suburban ones, people hang lights and ribbons to the trees in the backyards or front gardens. Sometimes you can spot a garland here and there but there is no competition between neighbours...at least, not where I live now. Also the decorations dowtown are so serious, so..."British": green garlands, lights and red ribbons. No music, or very little.
In the South, where I was born and raised, Christmas is a very special time of the year so decorations are bigger and you can see lights and garlands on buildings terraces as well. We have also musicians visiting houses to play Christmas music and people gather - not only families but friends too - to celebrate together and play cards...I wish we could have singers, too. The songs in English seem to be a lot funnier. I usually cheer up my family with "Rudolph" and "Winter Wonderland" :mrgreen:

I have a question for the Americans on this thread: do you have Christmas pudding in the US too? I know it's a typical English treat but I haven't never dared to cook it because I found the receip absolutely disgusting (no offence intended) :lol:
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

The dollar store across the street from my office had Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas decorations up, on top of the Breast Cancer Awareness pink things...so it's quite literally an assault to the senses when you walk in there. The Thanksgiving stuff is gone now, but i'm sure it will be replaced with NYE decorations. I've been too afraid to go over.
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I just think it's funny that the stores put out decorations for example Christmas and Thanksgiving hasn't even arrived. When I see the decorations for Christmas out so early, I tend to get nervous because it makes me realize that it's right around the corner and of course I will put it off until the last minute.

Dimber, I've heard of Christmas pudding but have never had it. Our family tends to do pies (Sweet Potato & Pecan).
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

nissanmama wrote:Not liking chocolate is just sick and wrong!
No, it is unfeminine...or so I have been accused of. :lol:
dimber wrote:I have a question for the Americans on this thread: do you have Christmas pudding in the US too? I know it's a typical English treat but I haven't never dared to cook it because I found the receipe absolutely disgusting (no offence intended) :lol:
My family does. We have a persimmon pudding at Christmas with homemade brandy butter. Pudding is MUCH better with a heavy dollop of brandy butter.

We also observe boxing day - my parents put on a Boxing Day Tea and invite friends and family to come by, have a cup of tea or sherry (or port), eat a few munchies, visit and leave. It's like an open house, it's fun. My family is Scottish and English so it's a day to wear our tartans and feel connected to our past.

ETA: It's called a pudding but it's more like a super moist bundt cake. Without the hole tho...no need to "fix" it with a potted plant (what movie??)!
Last edited by una on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!