Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Mike Newton

Post by glstewart »

Slayerchick: I think you're right, Mike will never really be over Bella. There will always be that "what could have been..." thought trolling around in the back of his brain. Even when he's 92.
I Want to Believe
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

glstewart wrote:Slayerchick: I think you're right, Mike will never really be over Bella. There will always be that "what could have been..." thought trolling around in the back of his brain. Even when he's 92.
I completely agree. I know guys that even after someone gets married they still think, "There's still a chance." I think that even if Bella died (like truly died, not just became a vampire) Mike would still fantasize about the "if only." Even if Bella did go live with Edward in Antarctica to hunt penguins, Mike would still sit there thinking, "Well, she could come back." Which is really sad, but also kind of sweet too.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
glstewart

Post by glstewart »

I really like Mike. I could use a friend like him!
I Want to Believe
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

having been in mike's position several times, let me give you all a little insight into what it's like to be "mike".

regarding the kiss on the cheek. although it was CLEARLY friendly, and she clearly did not kiss him romantically, it WAS affectionate. he probably turned that into "well, she doesn't LIKE me but she did give me a kiss on the cheek which COULD mean that she likes me a little just not as much as them. so maybe once she's done with cullen and that other kid she'll date me." or something like that. it's hard to be the mike.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
everlong
Learning to Love Green

Post by everlong »

Ahhh Mike
I feel kind of sorry for him. I don't even think he really liked Jessica at all yet he still got stuck with her.
He probebly only went out with Jess because it's what Bella wanted, but you could easily tell he wasnt happy about it.
In the book Mike's character is supposed to be the Popular guy who everyone loves, and i think thats why he was set up with Jessica, because she is such a gossiping girly girl. Which was unfair because the girl he was really attracted to was Bella, who is nothing like Jessica! if you can see what im getting at..
Maybe things would of turned out different if he was set up with Angela, if she wasnt so fond of Ben

In conclusion..I love the kid :P
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

i thought it was hilarious that he was supposed to be the "popular" kid when i saw what SM had said about him, because he didn't come off that way to me in the books AT ALL. i think that part was a little unrealistic.

glstewart

Post by glstewart »

everlong wrote:Ahhh Mike
I feel kind of sorry for him. I don't even think he really liked Jessica at all yet he still got stuck with her.
He probebly only went out with Jess because it's what Bella wanted, but you could easily tell he wasnt happy about it.
I don't think he went out with Jessica just becuase Bella told him to, but because Bella put the idea in his head. It seems to me that he's known Jess all his life, and never really looked at her that way. Bella's suggestion offered the possibility, and he decided to give it a whirl. Why not?

Being "the Mike" isn't all that bad. Heck, I married my "Mike".
I Want to Believe
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

well once you were in a relationship with him he wasn't "the mike" anymore! :lol: he was just....mike.

glstewart

Post by glstewart »

Yeah, I guess you're right. Eh...I don't know. In the furthest reaches of my heart, he's still "the Mike". I still like him though! :lol:
I Want to Believe
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

glstewart wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Amivera, you kill me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Given your perfect summation, how on earth could Mike think the peck on the cheek was anything other than friendly? In fact, it seems to me that Mike's taking the peck on the cheek as encouragement is coming all from us. Nowhere in the book does he seem to think it's anything else! :?
Creepy.

holdingoutforjacob and slayerchick303 pretty much summed this up.
Mike was encouraged by a wave and a smile, as was Jacob. (If you remember correctly, Bella would give him a smile and he would suddenly fight harder, or become confused because she was misleading him all the time)

A peck on the cheek would most likely encourage him. Perhaps you have a hard time placing yourself in a teenager's shoes...
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj