Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
haiau
Settled in Forks

Re: Breaking Dawn-I'm in the middle about it

Post by haiau »

Stupidshinyvolvowner wrote:Hello,

So I've been reading through the posts here and it seems like most people have the pretty much the same things to say about BD.

I read the whole series in a about 4 days. Yeah, my life basically went on hold during the time. When I picked up the books, I had no idea what they were about, or how popular they were. A friend recommended them and a few months after she mentioned it, I was in need of a book to read to I picked up Twilight. Which lead to a trip back to the bookstore the next day for New Moon. Needless to say, in those four days I was completely immersed in the Twilight world.

When I finished BD, I just felt like something was off. I liked it, just because it was a part of this world that I had fallen in love with and it definitely had it's shining moments. But for me, there is only one thing that was blindingly wrong with the book. When I read it, the pregnancy didn't bother me, Jacob's perspective was interesting (although I have to admit as soon as I saw that there was a Jacob POV, I immediately flipped through the book for Edward's POV and was disappointed that there was none), Bella turning into a vampire was a given for me and I was glad that I didn't have to read about her being a crazed newborn. Even the end fight scene was okay for me.

But the one thing that bothered me the most was the lack of Edward in the book. I had fallen in love with this world where there was this man who cared so deeply about this girl. And she cared the same way for him. Nothing could keep them apart and they would do anything for each other, because the world could not exist without that person. ...And then suddenly that was gone. And I missed it in the book. I wanted to read about what their relationship was like when they were on an even playing field. When Bella didn't have to be so self conscience. But I felt like with Bella became a vampire, her fascination with Edward decreased and Edward became a side character. That is what has me on the fence. This beautiful amazing relationship that we all dream about suddenly became something that was taken for granted.

Anyway, sorry that was so long, I've been wanting to get that out for a long time. Thanks for reading, and if you'd like to PM with your thoughts,I would love to talk to someone about it.
I really miss Edward in BD. I didn't like how Edward reacted to Bella's pregnancy. He told Bella the night before their wedding that how he wished that Charlie was right (that Charlie thought Bella was pregnant, when they told Charlie that they were getting married) and how he wished that they could have that possibility. And when he found out that she was pregnant he didn't even ask for her opinion, he just told her "they would just take care of it." I feel like the characters Jacob and Edward switched places in BD. On the other hand, I think SM is brillant to create Reneesme. Because of difficult birthing, Edward had no choice but to change Bella; therefore, he was saving her not stealing her humanity. As SM said in the book too, that because of Reneesme, Jacob and the rest of the wolves are now become allied with the Cullens instead of enemies. However, I hope SM would continue on with the Cullens story line.
If you really want to read about Edward's POV, I heard on SM's website she posted unfinished draft of Midnight Sun, Edward's version of Twilight. I haven't read it. I am holding out for the finished version of it.
Eli
Settled in Forks

Post by Eli »

Well... I'm definitely in the middle...

Book 1 - Bella
I really liked this one, the wedding and the honeymoon, were amazing... :D
Edward is so sweet, and he was so happy about being married, I loved how he tried to make everything perfect for the honeymoon.
The pregnancy was too weird, the first thing I thought was "What is this??? Can a vampire have a baby?" But after a while I was ok with it.

Book 2 - Jacob
I also enjoy this one, being in Jacob's mind was great, and knowing about the other wolves was really interesting, specially Leah...
It was good that this part was not from Bella's perspective, because it would have been boring, she was in bed, and in pain all the time...so I guess that Jacob's perspective let us know what happened with Bella without making it boring...

Book 3 - Bella
This is one of the reasons why I'm in the middle...
I really liked all about Bella being a newborn vampire with Edward, and about Nessie and Jacob...
But the battle...
So many pages preparing it, and they din't fight!!! Of course I didn't want any Cullen or wolf to die...
But if the battle was going to end like that, why write so much about the arrangements!!!
It was too weird...

The other reason is that in book 3, Edward and Bella were not the same... Edward's phrases were so beautiful, and in this part, I missed that, we had a few, but nothing like before...

I still liked the way the characters ended, Edward and Bella together, and Jacob with Nessie... Charlie knowing something about Bella, even though he didn't know exactly what Bella was, at least he was able to be with her, and Nessie.

I liked most of the book :D, but when I finished it, it was like there was something missing...
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

"The other reason is that in book 3, Edward and Bella were not the same... Edward's phrases were so beautiful, and in this part, I missed that, we had a few, but nothing like before..." --Eli

Eli,
This is exactly how I feel. I am rereading BD for the 3rd time right now. Charlie has just left after spending the day with the new Bella. And I still feeling like something is missing. Especially since I have also reread all the other books 3 times. Edward is so far in the back ground. It bothers me so much. Bella is more worried about being a newborn vampire and Renesmee, Edward doesn't seem to be first with her anymore.
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by moon.cherry.twilite »

^Exactly! The focus of Breaking Dawn is different from the other 3 books. It's not only about Bella and Edward as a couple anymore, which is what I loved. It's about Bella as a mother, which I don't really love.

And did anyone else find that after Bella was changed, she and Edward were just like any other vampire couple? I know Bella had to become a vampire eventually, but AS A COUPLE, the two of them sort of lost their individuality. That's what I thought.

Having said that, I think that Jacob and Renesmee are much more versatile than Bella and Edward nowadays.
OMDE= Oh My Dazzling Edward
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob
GO HERE: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4364852/1/Y ... h_Twilight

EdwardNJessi
Learning to Love Green

Post by EdwardNJessi »

moon.cherry.twilite wrote:^Exactly! The focus of Breaking Dawn is different from the other 3 books. It's not only about Bella and Edward as a couple anymore, which is what I loved. It's about Bella as a mother, which I don't really love.

And did anyone else find that after Bella was changed, she and Edward were just like any other vampire couple? I know Bella had to become a vampire eventually, but AS A COUPLE, the two of them sort of lost their individuality. That's what I thought.

Having said that, I think that Jacob and Renesmee are much more versatile than Bella and Edward nowadays.
Hmm...that an interesting take on it all. I definitely think that some of the tension and romance was lost in Breaking Dawn, but to me it made sense...all of their yearning for one another was realized. They finally got to be together as they should. When she first changed into a vampire, I felt like the romance was still there...but the second half of the book was definitely more about Bella as mother and protector. It was different...but still good!
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

For some reason, Bella's maternal side failed to stir anything huge in me. Maybe it's because I've got zero patience with little kids and never want to be a mother...? I'm not sure. I did think it was sad when they were saying their goodbyes and all, but still.
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob

Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

I just wasn't ready for Bella to be a mother. She fought so hard against marrying Edward because she didn't want to be "that girl" And then she winds up pregnant at 18. I know it's the story SM wanted to tell from the start, I just really wasn't prepared to read about Bella and Edward as parents.
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

I guess you could say that Bella was an unnaturally great mother.
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob

runswithwolves
Officially Bitten!
Location: On Taylor's right bicep staring at the new Wolfpack picture

Post by runswithwolves »

The things I did like about Breaking Dawn were:
Jacob's book :D
Getting to meet other vampires.
Learning Bella's talent.
Leah and Jacob becoming friends :D

The things I did not like were:
Bella having a baby.
Jacob imprinting on reneseme :(
The voltari coming back.

I still can't tell if i like it or not.
J<3B ~I <3 Ian~I<3Peeta~Team Zane RIP~I<3Fang
Taylor's right bicep ~ http://www.teamtaycob.webs.com/
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Post by Pel »

I'm currently locking all the review threads. We will shortly be starting chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn. Please feel free to put discussion in there.

In case anyone was wondering, we have done this with every book from New Moon onward. If you would like to use some of your thoughts in chapter discussion, please copy them and save them. The three review threads will be deleted on November 30th.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.