Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Emily Young

Post by *Wanderer* »

I really, really liked Emily's character. And not just because she has the same name as me.

I liked her because she was one of those characters where you have to look under the surface if you really want to understand her. I know a lot of people thought of her as like the kindly "mother" who stays at home and bakes pies and cookies for the werewolves, but she was so much more! She's been through a whole lot. Not only must she live with the guilt that she stole Leah's man, but she also risks her life everyday she spends with Sam because of the potential danger of werewolves. But she stays with Sam because she's in love.

Love,
*Wanderer*
Last edited by *Wanderer* on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he_dazzles_me
Settled in Forks

Post by he_dazzles_me »

ilovetwilight wrote:this is what i pictured emily to look like, her name is Danay Garcia, she played a character on prison break:
http://www.seriesblog.es/wp-content/upl ... garcia.jpg
Wow, she totally looks like Emily. She could even play Leah, but I saw a really good video on YouTube of a potential Leah (Michelle Rodriguez). Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhPTE9nbVmc
Topaz
Wandering Through Town

Post by Topaz »

I totally agree in that I wish Emily could have been further developed. I imagine she runs pretty deep - she's fully in love, and at the same time lives with a physical deformity and the knowledge that, though nobody can help it, she's injured Leah simply by existing. I'd love to hear her side of the imprinting experience.

I also like her because she's one of the few characters whose beauty is marred somehow. Like Jasper or Billy. She's marked externally by the way life goes down sometimes.
Signature courtesy of myhopesaresohigh @ Vesperarium.
Avatar by Enough4 @ Vesperarium.
sunni
Settled in Forks

Post by sunni »

Topaz wrote:she's injured Leah simply by existing. I'd love to hear her side of the imprinting experience.
Actually, I didn't really like her for this very reason. Out of Sam and Emily, Emily is the one who had the choice and free-will to decide whether or not she wanted a relation with Sam. It doesn't matter if he imprinted on her, she still had a choice regardless. She was presented with her heartbroken cousin and a guy she barely knew suddenly showing her affection. He attacked her (of course, because of the werewolf thing) and yet in the end, she still choose him???

If my sister's/cousin's/friend's husband suddenly left them and instantly showed an obsession with me, I would NEVER pursue a relationship with said person. I think it was unfair and wrong on Emily's behalf.

I can't base my like/dislike for her on much else just for the reason that she was pretty one-dimensional. I don't think she was around enough or explained enough for me to comment on her any further...
Topaz wrote:I also like her because she's one of the few characters whose beauty is marred somehow.
Interesting point. It's a nice contrast to the fact that nearly all of the rest of the characters were sosososo gorgeous.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

leah would have been crushed even if emily hadn't chosen to be with sam - it was a matter of how many people were miserable, one or three?

i'm sure, i think it even says, that there's more to their relationship than we're given. not only that, but i think that emily resisted for as long as she could....and that was the catalyst to the "accident".

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by jonsgirljen »

I found Emily to be an interesting and complex character, especially about Sam imprinting on her. I really don't think that Emily had a choice in falling in love with Sam, even though it broke the heart of her cousin, Leah, and Sam's heart too, to some extent. Because he did love Leah, even though he imprinted on Emily. It had to be so difficult in spite of it all.
caramelfudge_f70
Settled in Forks

Post by caramelfudge_f70 »

in a way Emily is kinda the Bella character of the werewolves. like, she loves Sam & he feels forever guilty that he scared her face but they still love each other. & when Sam fell for her instead of Leah it reminded me of Bella choosing Edward over Jacob. I really think she is liike Bella in the way that she is shy, troubled but so in love
lostxcause
Settled in Forks

Post by lostxcause »

we assume so much about emily. i mean, she's fascinating, and we can say she's a strong character, but she's never really given that much of a personality. she loves sam, takes care of the wolves, and hates to hurt leah. we don't know much more about her. we can't really gauge her reactions and we don't know what her life was like before sam imprinted on her. there's a lot that we're left to assume!

i personally am ambivalent about emily. i think she seems nice enough....but to me she's just terribly flat and static. there isn't much to her.
my only explanation is this:
if we never feel the pain
how do we know that we have lived?
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

lostxcause wrote: i think she seems nice enough....but to me she's just terribly flat and static. there isn't much to her.
I agree. In the book she doesn't really appear very complex, it's just been us here on the lex making assumptions that has developed her character.

The thing about her beauty being marred though . . . the other half of her face was meant to be gorgeous!

Is Charlie the only ugly one?
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

My first reaction to Emily was very . . . homely? I don't know how to describe it. She seemed really motherly-cooking for the pack and all. She seemed like someone that could be beneficial to Bella in her time of sorrow(what an understatement). I liked her. I also would have liked to see Stephenie develop her more in Eclipse and BD.
Last edited by rapidheartbeat<3twi on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse