Chapter 8 ~ Port Angeles

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sachael
Cliff Diving with Embry
Location: Somewhere in Vegas having and argument with Riley Reynolds.

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Port Angeles

Post by sachael »

oh and one more thing.. this is my fave part of the book!!
ImageImage
Team J.ActionTwinnie:TillyWhitlock
A PROUD RANDIE and LEXLING
I Speak My Mindand i tweet too!
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
I was worried almost immediately. I could totally feel myself in Bella's shoes and I would have been running and screaming the first second that they tried to follow me. I know that's not her, but yes, I was worried from the start, they definately seemed like bad news. I honestly had no idea that Edward would come. I kind of expected either Jessica or Angela to show up, but its much better the way it happened :)

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I felt his reaction was justified and still being a bit leery of how Edward felt for Bella it really showed me that he cared and was concerned in order for him to get that worked up over someone trying to hurt her. I hadn't thought about the fact that he could hear the thug's thoughts and how disturbing that would be to him. I was only afraid that he would do something bad that would change his relationship with Bella or make her dislike him.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
I really was surprised that he said it so quickly. It seemed to good to be true, I expected him to be cold and harsh like he was after the accident regarding himself. I had kind of gathered that something like that was going on, I wasn't sure if he was reading minds or just hearing things from really far away. Bella just says a couple of times that Edward seemed to act like he could hear people from across the room or he would turn when no one had said his name. So I knew something was going on.

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
I thought maybe it was because he was falling for her, and somehow he wouldn't fall for her in the same way if he could hear all her thoughts. I also wondered if as they got closer he would eventually be able to hear her. I also wondered if there was something special in a supernatural way about Bella. I had lots of thoughts.

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
Haha, it should concern me, but it didn't I guess I was too busy swooning...
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by switzgal »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
I had some idea that he'd come. We knew he read minds by that point, he already saved her once before so yeah, I expected it.

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I thought it was so extraordinarily adorable that he cares so much for Bella and we are just realizing this now. During the car crash, he was too scared to show her a reaction from him because he didn't want her to know what he was then and he is finally opening up to her by showing his emotions.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
No not really surprised. At this point, he's opening up to her and really wants to tell her things.

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
Because Bella is stubborn and has never really opened up to people. She never seemed to belong, she was kind of an introvert, even in Phoenix so even Edward can't get through her mind.

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
It was stalker like but I think he was testing himself when he snuck up to Bella's room. He wanted to see if he can control himself and not attack her. I also think after his first night of sneaking in, he wanted to practice before he confronts her in public. And then after that it just became habit.
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

I was worried for Bella's safety with the thugs right when they were brought up, when one of them called "Hey, there!" I knew that they wouldn't have been brought up if they weren't going to be a part of the story. I did think Edward would eventually save her just like when he saved her from getting hit by Tyler's truck, but it didn't stop me from being worried.

Nope, I was not afraid of Edward or worried for Bella as soon as Edward became involved. I had basically the same reaction that Bella did. I was instantly relieved and knew that she would be safe as long as Edward was around. I like his temper. ;) His anger with the thugs and the fact that he wanted to kill them gave me a thrill and made me happy. It shows he wanted to protect her and was upset that anyone would even think of hurting her.

I wasn't surprised the first time I read it, but after reading the rest of the books and coming back to this, I am surprised. He knew about the Volturi and the fact that they enforced the #1 rule of vampires -- Don't reveal vampire secrets! I'm surprised he gave it up so quickly. I hadn't guessed that this was his secret, although there was some foreshadowing. For example, on p.42, on the day he comes back to school after going to Alaska, after seeing Bella in the cafeteria,
He looked merely curious again, unsatisfied in some way.
Probably curious and unsatisfied about the fact that he couldn't hear her mind?

I agreed with Edward's theory that her mind worked differently from other people's minds.

It didn't concern me at all; the exact opposite in fact. It made me happy somehow. Obviously she didn't mind Edward keeping such a close watch over her. She was flattered, as I would be.
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

-There was no way Stephenie was going to let Bella get hurt. You knew that Edward would save the day. I was worried that they would get close enough to touch her, maybe grab her into a car or something, but nothing bad was going to happen.

-I was as confused as Bella was. I wasn't sure why he was reacting the way he was, very hard to read.

-I didn't know that he could read minds. It surprised me. I just thought that he had been following Bella the whole time using sight, sound, and smell.

-I just thought that Bella was special. I didn't really have a theory as to why he couldn't hear her. I think that it is a major part of his attraction to her. I mean, he's never not been able to know what someone is thinking. She is a new experience for him. It's a big part of what makes them compatible. And, it's both ways. She wouldn't like him as much if he could always know what she was thinking.

-I was with Bella on this one too. It made me feel like she was safe and protected. Like he cared, in a happy-stalker-way. He's the good kind of stalker.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I thought she was in danger of getting hurt when she realized they were herding her but I sort of knew Edward would show up at some point.

No at all. I thought his reaction was sweet.

Not at all. For both I knew he would spill his guts eventually.

I thought they were meant to be and that was just another thing to draw them together.

I thought it was cute <3
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
KayleeRyerson
Settled in Forks

Post by KayleeRyerson »

I just knew Edward would save her! I remembered her mentioning seeing a silver Volvo. I was worried the first moment they spoke to her.

I wasn't afraid of him, no. I was kinda turned on. He was so angry that they had tried to hurt her.

No I hadn't. I thought he had some sort of intuition pertaining to minds, but I didn't think he would come right out and say it like that. It was relieving, I felt like he was trusting me too, with this information.

Because she's his soulmate. A relationship would be horrendously difficult if one could read the other's mind.

Nope, I thought it romantic and endearing. I wish someone cared about me like that.
What a stupid lamb. What a sick, masochistic lion.
TheLastVampirechic
Settled in Forks

Post by TheLastVampirechic »

I was instantly worried as soon as they showed up, i knew something bad was going to happen

I was a bit nervouse that he would freak out on her for putting herself in that postition, but other than that not really

I belive he would tell her anything

Its because they are connected souls and fate knows that giving him access to her mind would make a relationship harder on them.

No, i belive he was just keeping her safe, since she is such a danger magnet
"I dont want to die" he screamed. Sita leaned in and softly whispered in his ear "Then you should have never been born." -- The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike

ANNE RICE MAKES ME GAG!
YouAreMyLifeNow
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by YouAreMyLifeNow »

I wasn't really worried untill it said they were hearding her. I didnt really get that they were folowing her untill it baiscly said that they were.

I was a little surprised that Edward showed up...I think he was right to worry, I wasn't afraid of him i just figured that he was really worried about her because he really liked her.

Yes i was very surprised he told her the truth so quickly. I don't think i had guessed but i read it last year so i don't remember.
I thought that because he was trying to hear her so much that it didn't work. I also wondered if he could hear Renee or Charlie.
I wasn't concered that he was keeping such a close watch over Bella, i just figured that he really liked her and wanted her to be safe because he could't live with himself if someone hurt her. I figured that after he saved her from the van that he would be keeping closer watch on her so she would be safe because he told her she was a danger magnet and to be safe at the beach.
I know i spell bad
Twi Mafia~Sarina Santoro
Twilight lover: Because sometimes fantasy is better than reality
Mrs. Edward
Settled in Forks

Post by Mrs. Edward »

I was starting to get worried when she thought about punching him in the nose or whatever, but i hoped with all my heart that Edward would come and soon

I wasn't worried or afraid, i was just glad he was their, like Bella. I was a little afraid after reading his version though, it is scary to think of him as a killer
Not really, he loved her, how could he keep secrets from her now that she knew the truth. I guessed it was a secret. Why would someone tell the whole worl "hey, I know what you are thinking all the time", impossible
I thought maybe he couldn't hear her, because he didn't know her well enough. I guess I didn't think a whole lot about it
No, I though it was soooooooooooo cute that Edward wanted to keep her safe, so what if he is with her twenty four seven. Thats how she wants it and thats how i prefer it. Overprotective vampire, sooooooooo cute