General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TS07
Settled in Forks

Re: The Transformation

Post by TS07 »

When I finally read the part of bella's transformation, my heart was racing and I was feeling all jittery about it, it made me feel like I was being transformed lol. Even though I'm happy to see Bella finally a vampire I felt that she could have lost a little control when she became a newborn. I mean the Cullens all had to deal with, maybe Bella shouldn't have gone through it so easily. But then again I loved how she was in control of herself and at that moment it was finally the one thing she did better than Edward when he became a newborn vampire. Anyway I'm really happy that she and Edward can FINALLY be together forever.
AshleeG
Settled in Forks

Post by AshleeG »

Hello there,I'm really new to this and have only just started reading Twilight and have nearly finished it,so hopefully you pro's will be able to answer my question!
Ok so in Twilight,Edward says to Bella on the lines of - "Rosalie and Emmett sometimes go off and live as a couple. I imagine in a few years we'll have to go to their wedding..again!"

I was just wondering wether the Cullens must stay the age they were when they became vampires or can they age or regain their youth as they please? Because surely,local people from Forks or other areas will realise that the vampires never age? And,they've enrolled at Forks highschool and again,surely the other students will catch on that they never age whilst everyone else begins to look older? And also,I know Bella becomes a vampire or something in the last book I heard,but doesn't she think oblivious to whats about to happen in Breaking Dawn that,whilst Edward stays looking the same,she will age?

please get back to me,it is really bugging me!
thanks,
xxxx
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AgentCross »

AshleeG wrote:Hello there,I'm really new to this and have only just started reading Twilight and have nearly finished it,so hopefully you pro's will be able to answer my question!
Ok so in Twilight,Edward says to Bella on the lines of - "Rosalie and Emmett sometimes go off and live as a couple. I imagine in a few years we'll have to go to their wedding..again!"

I was just wondering wether the Cullens must stay the age they were when they became vampires or can they age or regain their youth as they please? Because surely,local people from Forks or other areas will realise that the vampires never age? And,they've enrolled at Forks highschool and again,surely the other students will catch on that they never age whilst everyone else begins to look older? And also,I know Bella becomes a vampire or something in the last book I heard,but doesn't she think oblivious to whats about to happen in Breaking Dawn that,whilst Edward stays looking the same,she will age?

please get back to me,it is really bugging me!
thanks,
xxxx

They stay at the age in which they were transformed. Edward is 17, Emmett 22, etc. But what are you doing with all these spoilers for other books?
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

AhleeG!
You are asking questions that are answered in the books...! We don't want to spoil it for you! Like yourself, I found the saga only about 6 weeks ago, right before BD came out. I guess I was lucky on the count that I didn't have to wait the year's worth of time in between releases! Then again, unlucky in the fact because all that time between releases would have given me the time to re-re-re-read and digest the book before the next one came out... so I'm playing catch-up, too. I was SO tempted to read everything on the Lex and on Steph's website... it was mighty difficult, but I only read what pertained to each book after I read it. That's just me, though- I don't want to know how a story ends; I want to experience everything as it happens. After I finished Eclipse, I had 10 days before BD's release, so then I hit the 'net hard to read all the background stuff... that answered alot of questions I had, too. Honestly, I read the books much too fast the first time and missed several key points. I'm on my 3rd time through now... :)

The Cullens do live among the humans "as humans" in the sense that they stay in one area for just a few years. Edward explains this to Bella in Twilight. When they feel that they have outlived the age that they can realistically pass for, then it's time to move on. For instance, in New Moon, Edward says that Carlisle is claiming to be 33, but can barely pass for 30, when he is actually in his 20s! They have to keep up the human facade in order to keep their vampire nature a secret.

These books are amazing! Take your time through them... I think you'll appreciate them more if you don't read ahead and let yourself experience the story as it happens... the Lex will still be here when you're done!
xMoonlightxTragedyx
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by xMoonlightxTragedyx »

I sorta had a problem with the way she changed. Not that it was a bloody mess or anything, but the fact that it was soo...er easy. I know it was painful, but I sorta wanted her to have a harder time with the pain. I mean obviously there was alot of morphine, but still.
AshleeG
Settled in Forks

Post by AshleeG »

thankyou ever so much,i didn't even think anyone would answer my question!
and as for the spoilers and unanswered questions - dont worry,i've been very careful not to open any post about upcoming events or books,i also want to read and find out for myself. But I sort of figured that this post being named 'The Transformation',that it was about bella and herself becoming a vampire. But now my question inanswered I am going to carry on reading it without spoiling it!
thankyou very much,
xxx
stef
Settled in Forks

Post by stef »

i think the morphine made it harder..i mean the fact that she couldnt move during most of the transformation because of it, but she could still feel all the pain made me feel desperate as i was reading through it..she had an amazing self-control, i was surprised she didnt kick everybody out of the room to have her alone time with edward.. ;)
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

I think that this chapter was my second-favorite... "New" is my favorite! This was the moment I was waiting for! I have some thoughts on her transformation...
1. Some have argued that Bella is weak in BD, and that Steph missed her chance to develop her more deeply. I have to disagree. This is where Bella comes into her own! Bella makes the comment that it was like she was born to be a vampire, that she finally fit in. This was the ending Steph wanted- the whole story was about her becoming a vampire.
2. In Eclipse, we learn from Alice that Bella is safe in her mind, that no one can touch her there, that's why Jane and Aro's powers didn't work on her... or Edward's. All throughout the series, she didn't want to do anything to cause Edward pain; and Edward seeing her in pain would have been unbearable for him, and for us to read, I think.
3. Bella's mind is her strong point. I feel that during her transformation, this is where it becomes her "power." This is what she brought from her human life, and it's just starting to turn super-natural... the venom enhanced her mind and made it stronger so that she could handle the pain of the venom in her body.

I was worried coming into BD... all the stuff about Bella's mind... and how she kept saying that everything was dream-like to her at times and that she must have a glitch or something wrong with her brain... I said to one of my friends, "If I get to the end of this book and find out it's all a dream, I think I'm gonna die!" I'm glad that wasn't the case!!! WHEW!!
BlueOrchid
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by BlueOrchid »

I don't know if this goes under the thread but:

that first kiss, whoooooo- wheee! It was absolutely delicious! ;) It pretty much banned all the painful transformation thoughts.
Sarah3000
Settled in Forks

Post by Sarah3000 »

I thought that the reason that Bella was able to stay quiet during the transformation and found being a newborn easier than the others was something to do with her special power. Bella's power is all about strength of mind. She had this as a human (hence Edward being unable to read her thoughts etc), and it became even more powerful once she had been transformed into a vampire. I think that your idea that Edward's venom might have helped is a good one, but I also think that it must have had something to do with Bella's ability to control her mind - once the venom started coursing through her veins, the power became stronger and stronger, meaning that she was able to resist the pain of the transformation and was able to control her bloodlust as a newborn.

Totally agree that a romantic transformation would have been good - it's what I expected, and I was a bit gutted when it didn't happen, but the injection idea was ok - It's just like Edward to find a way out of doing something that could put Bella in serious danger.