A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by corinnejca »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

I thought he was just at home pretending to be sick so he could avoid Bella. I didn't really come up with an explanation for why he was avoiding her though.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?

It tells us that Bella is already an adult and able to fully take care of herself. It seemed to me that she lived with Renee and then Charlie for their sake, not for hers. Her parents did not take of her, she took care of them.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?

I did think he was putting on a show and that maybe he wanted something from her. I didn't care though, because I felt like he was dazzling me.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?

I didn't really think very much of his change in eye color. I knew it would be explained eventually.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I personally had NO idea where he went or why he went.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
She is very responsible and more adult then she appears to be.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I was like "multiple reality disorder much?" but then I was like SWOON your voice is shmexy =] I thought he was putting on a show he has put on before (the human show) I saw more of the sweet Edward my sister described to me.

I thought Bella was crazy and then I subconsciously figured out the hunting thing I think.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
KayleeRyerson
Settled in Forks

Post by KayleeRyerson »

I thought it had something to do with being a vampire, like it was his time to hunt or something.

She's exactly that, very individual. She supports her mom rather than the other way around. And she cooks for her dad because he's inept in that area.

I thought he really did want to talk to her the last time, he just couldn't for some reason. I knew her wanted to be her friend, I just knew.

I honestly had no clue, I was thinking exactly what Bella was giving me.
What a stupid lamb. What a sick, masochistic lion.
Twilighter8
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilighter8 »

Ok, so I went and re-read the whole series again! But I still wanted to finish this, so here we go!

-I figured he'd gone somewhere to get away from her, but no destination in mind. I knew it was because of Bella, but thought maybe she smelled bad somehow.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual? That she probably had taken care of herself and them a lot, rather then the other way around. She seemed very shy too.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her? I was totally confused. First he seemed to hate her or be disturbed by her, then he comes home and is so 180! I thought maybe he'd had time to think about her and decided to find out something.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color? Not a clue...the time of the month?!
TheLastVampirechic
Settled in Forks

Post by TheLastVampirechic »

I belived he was still attempting to change his schedule and staying away to avoid a scene

It tells us she had to grow up quickly at a very young age, so she is experianced beyond her years.

I thought it was a sign that he was proving he had either discovered a way around his problem, or learned to control himself

I thought it was mood related
"I dont want to die" he screamed. Sita leaned in and softly whispered in his ear "Then you should have never been born." -- The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike

ANNE RICE MAKES ME GAG!
lovely_and_4ever_17
Settled in Forks

Post by lovely_and_4ever_17 »

I wasn't quite sure were he had gone but I knew he was somewhere away from Bella. And I was sad cause I like Edward already in chapter two he was my favorite.

She's young but old at the same time, she's had to be more like a grown up with her parent than a teen.

I was like what is going on just like two weeks ago you were being real mean. Yeah I thought it was a show. It made me like him more cause he was nice.

Again I knew this was a vampire book so i assumed it was something to do with it
Lauren Hale
Learning to Love Green

Post by Lauren Hale »

Well, i knew that Bella had obviously caused him some type of "pain", so i figured that he was gathering his thoughts and picking himself up a little bit.

I think that because her parents are lacking in certain things, Bella was raised in a sense where she has the traits that they dont. (bella can cook, and she isn't very needy).

I thought he was just being a hormonal guy, one day he is a jerk and the next he is a charming gentlemen. I didn't think he was putting on a show.

I know that some people do have changing eye colors, like mine; they go from blue to green to blue again. I just figured his eyes did that, however ive never seen a jet black eye color...that was a little strange.
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

Honestly, I didn't give it too much thought. I knew he wouldn't be at home in Forks, but I didn't really consider specifics.

She wants to please those around her to an almost obsessive point. She wants to help people so much that she's willing to suffer for it. She puts aside her own needs in order to see to the needs of her family members and her peers.

I thought maybe he was crazy... not really, but along those lines. Maybe going through something like vampire PMS. I assumed he was so rude because he wanted to eat Bella so when he returned and was nice, I thought he wasn't hungry/didn't want to eat Bella anymore.

Since the back of the book said that, "Edward was a vampire," I assumed that his eye colour was an attribute of being a vampire. I thought maybe the change in his eye colour was related to emotional state. I thought that maybe his eyes were dark because he was angry.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
lovinmesomejasper
Settled in Forks

Post by lovinmesomejasper »

I wasn't scared that he wasn't returning, but I was a little perplexed by the fact that he wasn't there looking like he was going to eat her. I thought maybe he was on the run, trying to avoid her.

That Bella is constantly going to be looking for someone to save. She seems to have an inherent desire to help people. It also told me that she'd be exceptionally vulnerable to someone doing things for her just because she's so not used to it.

At first I thought it was kind of a ploy, kind of him trying to push her further away by making her less curious about him. Let me explain, if he's nice to her just like everyone else, then maybe there's nothing to be intrigued with so he fades into the background. Maybe it was just the fact that he couldn't be away from her.

I thought it had something to do with feeding.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

Alphie wrote:1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

1. I thought he transferred school(this would be impossible in Forks) or decided to ditch class. I thought he was mad at Bella for staring at him awkwardly.

2. Bella must be the independent one in the family. The shoulder to cry on.

3. Weird. Humans don't have charcoal black eyes. I thought he was some emo boy who wears black contacts.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.