The Midnight Breed Book Series

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: The Midnight Breed Book Series

Post by una »

I admit, there are similarities, but nothing that makes me feel that they are the same book/characters/storyline. Similar yes, but different. Plus I enjoy Adrian's writing so much better than Ward's. I think after you finish the first book, MB really starts to go on it's own plotwise.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Teak
Wandering Through Town

Post by Teak »

My favorite difference in the Breed and BDB books is the females' abilities to have powers in the Breed. They are an intrical part of Breed business; involved in helping to bring the Rogues down. (and powers passed down from mother to son)
I was looking at some website that feels that the tragedy Tohr faced is similar to Rio's. It was interesting, had a complete comparative chart of MB characters vs BDB and plot points/mythology.
Ooh, comparative charts? Where? I’d love to see those. I do find the characters similar in many ways. Maybe because BDB was the first vamp series I ever read, then Breed was the next, I tended to compare them. I agree though, that while similar, they went off on their own plotlines.
I see Wrath and Lucan similar; the leaders. I see Dante and Rhage similar at first; the players. It seems Tegan (my personal favorite…) and Z or V match up. Sort of that “bad boy” image. (or Tohr, like you said,with the loss of his mate) I guess I can see Rio compared to Z.
I sure hope nothing does happen to Gideon and Savannah. Maybe we will get their pre-story; how they met.??
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

EB Thank you for reminding me about Gideon. How could I have forgotten?
una, could you share the URL for that website comparing the two series? I need to re-do my Tri-Venn diagram comparing BDB, MB and Tw now that I have new information from Breaking Dawn.
GNE, I can always count on you for insightful comparisons. I agree with you that I'd be willing to have Gideon forever remain a background character in the series as long as he and Savannah remain together. Someone in these stories have to have a happy existence. Rio is the most "tortured" of the MB men, although Tegan's pain is (as has been already said) similar to Zsadist's in BDB.
I've missed this sort of dialogue. I'm glad to have you back ladies! (Has the spouses of anyone here ventured into MB? I know there are some husbands that have ready Twilight and have begun to read some of the BDB.)
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

We were posting about our kitty kats and wolves here before. Are we going to do that again or have a separate thread??
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

As requested here is the url for the comparison I was talking about. LadyDi, please share yours when you have it complete. Maybe it can be referenced on the Gutter-pedia as well?!

http://alphaheroes.blogspot.com/2008/07 ... eries.html

Please let me know if it doesn't work.

Also, I know we have a tendancy to chat about our beloved packs here. But I'm thinking, especially with Dorian's book coming out in a few weeks, I think Darkriver and Snow Dancers' deserve their own thread. What do you ladies think? I know Nena is back home today, maybe we can ask her to start the thread. This way we won't ruin anything for those that have read MB and haven't read P/C?

Plus, as I told GNE last night, I have a stalker. Hawke is haunting my dreams....I think it is his way of telling me he wants them to have their own thread so they don't have to share. You know how territorial those kitties and wolves are... :twisted:
Spooncha
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Spooncha »

Yes! A Psy/Changeling Thread would be fantabulous! Dorian's story is coming out September 2, I think. So, that's fun.

Hi, everybody!! In Midnight Breed, Andreas Reichen is the German ally, and Brock is the other newbie.

I love how unprepared all these males are (throughout most of the series, I think) are for the women who knock them on their collective backsides. Whether the women are strong in their own right, or not so much, it's a hoot watching these Alpha Males squirm. There's a quote from one of my favorite collections where the alpha male considers his future with his mate: "He sighed wearily, seeing his life stretching out ahead of him, constantly amazed or exasperated at one small woman. Not that he wasn't looking forward to it..."

I think they're all like that, each instance expressed differently (Wrath's "Sweet Jesus" in response to Beth, anyone?), of course, but it's still fun to watch.

I'm excited about Nico's book. She's going to be great! Please don't say Gideon might lose Savannah. No, no, no, no, no. *fingers in the ears*
"Don't make us bite you in hard-to-reach places!"
-The Tick

http://www.myspace.com/ichamama
Teak
Wandering Through Town

Post by Teak »

una, thank you for that link. It sures sums up the comparisons nicely!
Spooncha, thanks for those names. Was there a Kade too, or am I thinking of another series?
I love how unprepared all these males are (throughout most of the series, I think) are for the women who knock them on their collective backsides. Whether the women are strong in their own right, or not so much, it's a hoot watching these Alpha Males squirm.
I think they're all like that, each instance expressed differently (Wrath's "Sweet Jesus" in response to Beth, anyone?), of course, but it's still fun to watch.
Good point! You are right...it is fun to see how these females throw them for a loop and turn them into gentler beings.

I really loved the Psy/Changeling series. I hope we do get a separate thread for it!

ETA: I just ventured onto Lara Adrian's website and Dec. 2008 is Veil of Midnight (Niko's book), May 2009 is Ashes of Midnight (Andreas Reichen's book), and then Kade's book on a TBA date! Yay!! So, I guess there is a Kade...
Last edited by Teak on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Spooncha wrote:I love how unprepared all these males are (throughout most of the series, I think) are for the women who knock them on their collective backsides. Whether the women are strong in their own right, or not so much, it's a hoot watching these Alpha Males squirm.
In fact, many of the vamps fight the bonding. Don't want to be bonded, tied down. I'd like to see one of these guys really work at going after a mate like Rhage did with Mary or Dante went after Tess.

You're right, Dorian's book comes out September 2nd. (Yea! :D ) Adrian's website says that Veil of Midnight doesn't go on sale until December 30th. And it's Nikoli's book.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
una

Post by una »

Similarly I think that is part of the pull that I enjoy so much about MB is the stronger female characters. Plus, it is SO awesome that they have hidden talents as well. In many ways these Alpha males want to be lone soldiers and yet it reminds me of the mating pull (like what happened to Nate and Tammy) that just hits them and yet they fight it. The BDB males seem less able to fight while the MB males try but the females are more persuasive. I also like how the females in MB seem to aid their mates in the battle, I really enjoy that aspect. That they are in the trenches with them especially with some of the talents they have. Of course I'm not saying that our BDB females are weak, just less emphasized.
Alice's Grandma
Settled in Forks

Post by Alice's Grandma »

I've been so far into Sookie land I'm having a tough time remembering Psy/Changeling and MB! In case people were wondering, my banner has to do with the Sookie Stackhouse series - una recognized it over on the Gutter thread so I know at least one person, along with Teak, has read it.

I agree Teak, Adrian could easily write a prequel for Gideon and Savannah.We really don't know much about them except he has put aside fighting for her and she can touch objects and read their history. If she did this, there wouldn't be a need for heartache on the readers. I'd rather read a prequel than have one of them die.

As much as I love the Breed series, I wish she'd write Sterling/Harvard's book sooner. He seems primed and ready for a mate. He's been such a prominent secondary character since his arrival that I assumed his book would be one of the earlier ones.

Psy/Changeling thread would be great. I never read the fourth book. Do you think I need to before I read the newest one comimg out? Didn't realize it was so soon!