General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TheLion
Settled in Forks

Re: Pronounciation Key

Post by TheLion »

BeautifulVeins wrote:This one has been annoying me- how do you pronounce Kaure?
Is it Ko-ray? Or Kaw-ray? Kor-ri?
I could go on, but I'll just embarrass myself further. hahah
I've always pronounced that like Cow-ray.

It's gonna be a while before I switch from See-oh-bahn to Shiv-awn. D=
wishingiwasbella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by wishingiwasbella »

jenni_elyse wrote:[

I say Lay-ah because I'm a huge Star Wars fan (even though Princess Leia is spelled differently) and I know a Lay-ah with that spelling as well. However, now that I've been around my friends so much, I say Lee-ah now because I hear them say it that way all the time.
See I've never had a problem with her name because my name is Leah, I hate being called Lay-ah, it's one of my biggest pet peeves.

I always had a hard time with the roman's names. and the the Amazon women's name. and I also Call Reneseme (sp) Resume as well. :-) or Nessie.
PixieStix
Settled in Forks

Post by PixieStix »

Well its defo prounced Shiv-awn I should know Im from Ireland.Because b is sometimes prounced v in Irish,their is no v in the Irish alphabet.We use f as a v.Yes confusing,but I done it all my life :lol: .

I never know you prounced Quilete Quil-yute...:lol: Oops
love2dream
Settled in Forks

Post by love2dream »

I pronounce...

Kaure cow-ray (actually more of an Kah-oo squished together in one syllable fast)
Huilen wee-len (actually more of an oo-wee squished together in one syllable fast)
Nahuel nah-oo-ehl (though the last two oo-ehl are more like one syllable than two)

The "h" is not pronounced (silent letter) in Spanish or Portuguese, so this is how I pronounce them.

Thank you, thank you for the Siobhan!!! That one tripped me up every time!
FIND BELLA'S DRESS click here----->http://www.geocities.com/belladress
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xhopeonaropex »

Ok thank you for clarifying Siobhan!!!
I actually thought it See-oh-bin because back in my country we have that name and it's pronounced that way. That's where the Arabic kicked in with me.
And for Leah??? I always thought it was Lay-ah and not Lee-ah
I've had many friends who pronounced and spelled their name that way. But Lee-ah wasn't very common to me.

Hope <3
Edward's_Stalker
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Edward's_Stalker »

well i've just learned that i've been pronouncing a lot of names wrong. thanks for clarifying.
i have a friend who, instead of saying car-lyle, says care-oh-sell. like the rides where you get on the horse and go in a circle (up and down and up and down.....)
porschejacker XD
Wandering Through Town

Post by porschejacker XD »

Edward's_Stalker wrote:well i've just learned that i've been pronouncing a lot of names wrong. thanks for clarifying.
i have a friend who, instead of saying car-lyle, says care-oh-sell. like the rides where you get on the horse and go in a circle (up and down and up and down.....)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OMG thats well funny. I kept tripping up on Quileute, so glad I checked! One of my friends taught me to say it wrong!
Me and my friends keep finding new ways to hurt ourselves so we can check out whether or not our doctor sparkles in the sunlight...
vampire.vixen
Settled in Forks

Post by vampire.vixen »

Edward's_Stalker wrote: i have a friend who, instead of saying car-lyle, says care-oh-sell. like the rides where you get on the horse and go in a circle (up and down and up and down.....)
:lol: :lol: ! that's the funniest one i read! i use to pronouce carlisle's name wrong until my friends corrected me.
After reading her books i learned a lot of new words i can't pronouce =)
Edward ♥ v. 1.0
fireice99
Wandering Through Town

Post by fireice99 »

I was one of the many clueless who pronounced Siobhan like See-Oh-Bon. I still say it that way in my head even though I know it's wrong! Shiv-awn is going to take time to get used to.

I also pronouned Aro like "arrow." To answer the Brit who thought Arrow is normally pronounced like Aro anyway, here in America we don't. We pronounce "Arrow" like we do "Air", not "Ar" like a pirate. :) I've been saying Arrow in my head so much as well, this will take time to get used to Arrrro. Hah. Now I keep picturing Aro as a pirate. A bloodsucking, red-eyed pirate. What a scary sight. Far cry from good ol' Jack Sparrow, that's for sure :!:

Getting a little off topic now, just wanted to comment that yet another person was clueless about some of the names in SM's books. Though I'm proud to say I DID know how to pronounce Carlise, Esme, and Rosalie's names. I'm proud of that fact, at least. Heh. :geek:

Kaleb Nation is awesome! Check out his site for insightful comments as he reads New Moon.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

is it fair to think that Volturi is pronounced "VOL - Tree" ?

--- Resume and Carosel---- wow! LOL
Really???
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!