Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Moonlit Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Esme Cullen

Post by Moonlit Sunlight »

navarre wrote:
BuffytheVampireLover wrote:I think that, even though you don't get to see as much of her in the books as she probably deserves, there are all these little moments that remind you of who she is and her place within the family. Stuff like in NM, when Edward comes back and she simply looks and him and goes "You will never do that to me again." She is absolutely the matriarch, I don't think even Emmett would go against her. I also really loved in the outtake "Emmett and the Bear", how much of just a normal mom she can be. Edward shoves Emmett off the couch, and Emmett threatens him and you just hear Esme from upstairs go "BOYS!"
No doubt! She is such a gentle creature - I love her. I loved how she embraced Bella from the beginning and she deeply loved her family.
I agree you can tell just from the way that the books describe her that she is just like a regular mom and won't put up with anything or anyone who threatends her family, she just cares about he family so much, and i agree with BuffytheVampireLover i don't think that Emmett would go against her. I certainly wouldn't....
What a lucky duck! Wish he'd give me a hickey!
"LIfe sucks, and then you die." Jacob Black
Sponser of DBJ & Co. Donating Blood To Jasper & Co.
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

Something that really bothers me in when people describe Esme as a "two-dimensional" character. I find her a very "round" and "three-dimensional" character. I think everyone really has to realize how much her love for Carlisle has changed her, but at the same time that she must have been a person of great integrity to begin with. Her compassion, hope, joy, and love isn't some that can just be "learned," it has to be something that is really part of Esme's character and personality.

I think that before Esme was turned into a vampire she was one of those people who wanted to see the best in everyone. I also think that she was a natural optimist and generally wanted to look at the "bright-side of life." Because your personality traits don't just disappear when you become a vampire, I think Esme's personality just changed to become a more eternal belief than a general view of life. I also think that her relationship with Carlisle (who is so similar to Esme in so many ways) just increased those feelings, beliefs, and resolve in her life.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
anilu
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by anilu »

I love Esme!

I would love reading more about her. in the books she doesn't have this amazing scenes.. but she's a amazing person. The Cullen family wouldn't be complete without her. With the Cullens she was able to fulfill her desire to be a mother (remember she lost a baby?). She keeps everyone in their places and keeps sanity in her house.
Jane V
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jane V »

[quote="slayerchick303"]Something that really bothers me in when people describe Esme as a "two-dimensional" character. I find her a very "round" and "three-dimensional" character. I think everyone really has to realize how much her love for Carlisle has changed her, but at the same time that she must have been a person of great integrity to begin with. Her compassion, hope, joy, and love isn't some that can just be "learned," it has to be something that is really part of Esme's character and personality.

I think that before Esme was turned into a vampire she was one of those people who wanted to see the best in everyone. I also think that she was a natural optimist and generally wanted to look at the "bright-side of life." Because your personality traits don't just disappear when you become a vampire, I think Esme's personality just changed to become a more eternal belief than a general view of life. I also think that her relationship with Carlisle (who is so similar to Esme in so many ways) just increased those feelings, beliefs, and resolve in her life.
[/quote

i find Esme to be a very loving, caring, rounded character. she just wants to see the best and bring out the best in everyone.
"quite a pity how things turned out, isn't it?" -Jane, Eclipse

something you didn't know about the Volturi:
Felix has a medical condition. it's called Obsessive Winking Disorder. don't tell him i told you
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

slayerchick303 wrote:Something that really bothers me in when people describe Esme as a "two-dimensional" character. I find her a very "round" and "three-dimensional" character. I think everyone really has to realize how much her love for Carlisle has changed her, but at the same time that she must have been a person of great integrity to begin with. Her compassion, hope, joy, and love isn't some that can just be "learned," it has to be something that is really part of Esme's character and personality.

Yeah, and it was stated that Esme brought her profound ability to love deeply with her into her vampire life. I think that one's feellings seem to deepen with their "turning'. Carlise brought his compassion and even Bella stated in BD that she never could imagine she could love Edward even more, but she could. Everything heightens when one is 'turned' into a vampire.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

midnitesun wrote:I wish Esme was in BD more! She is one of my favorite characters, I'm kinda obsessed with her and Carlisle! She's so kind and is described as motherly, and she wasn't very involved with Bella's pregnency and Renesmee. She was just a kind presence that showed how much love there was in the Cullen family.

She's sounds like the key that holds the Cullens together, the way you described her. :D
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by jonsgirljen »

Esme is one of my favorite characters! She's so loving and compassionate. She would do anything for anyone, especially her family. Esme keeps them all together. I see her as the kind of person that would bring anyone into her heart. She is just the most loving character that I've ever read about. I wish that she was in the series more, but all the scenes that she is in are wonderful.

I loved her parts in Breaking Dawn, especially with Jacob. Esme is just a mother to everyone, no matter who they are. It was so cute how she gave him food and just looked after him. And the love that she has for Carlisle is so pure and beautiful. I just love her.

I was kinda shocked during New Moon when Bella cut herself and Esme had to cover to her nose and mouth and leave the room, but it's understandable because it's her nature. She felt so bad, and I felt so bad for her. But all in all, she is just a wonderful character.
Moonlit Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Moonlit Sunlight »

BreathelessVampire wrote:
midnitesun wrote:I wish Esme was in BD more! She is one of my favorite characters, I'm kinda obsessed with her and Carlisle! She's so kind and is described as motherly, and she wasn't very involved with Bella's pregnency and Renesmee. She was just a kind presence that showed how much love there was in the Cullen family.

She's sounds like the key that holds the Cullens together, the way you described her. :D
well yeah i think that she does hold the Cullens together along with Carlisle....
What a lucky duck! Wish he'd give me a hickey!
"LIfe sucks, and then you die." Jacob Black
Sponser of DBJ & Co. Donating Blood To Jasper & Co.
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

I love the way she's motherly to everyone, even werewolves, her supposedly mortal enemies, and Bella, her food source.

I wish we'd seen her with Nessie though.. It mentions Carlisle being a grandfather, but does anyone realise that Esme is a grandma?

I know shes only about 26 or whatever, but somehow that fits.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
EllaMinnowPee
Settled in Forks

Post by EllaMinnowPee »

I would have loved to know more about Esme, particularly how she accepted her transformation into a vampire. She did try to kill herself, after all- she jumped off the cliff because she wanted to die. And now, without her consent, she is forced to live for eternity. Did she believe that she would have been reunited with her lost child in the afterlife, and if so, did she resent Carlisle for forever taking that reunion away from her? She is very grateful to Carlisle for saving her and extremely happy and content with her family now, but it would be interesting to read that there was some resentment in the very beginning.