The Seeker

Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cocoa

The Seeker

Post by Cocoa »

A place to discuss not only the seeker but the job itself.
ilovespaceheaters
Wandering Through Town

Re: The Seeker

Post by ilovespaceheaters »

Hmm, I think a job as a Seeker would be... I guess what I would be. Just because I'd want to be different. I don't think I would be able to handle everyone being so... normal. HAHA.

But the Seeker herself. I think she was only so annoying because of her Host. Lacey was just plain annoying. And I hated how she was allowed to play with the kids and Wanda wasn't. :(

"Go fetch a space heater."

[22.8.08] Best day of my life.

ManSpice
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

the seeker annoyed me so bad. and the human inside her was just as bad
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I actually (think I) understand why the seeker is the way that she is. When people/alien's are fearful of something, they become hateful. The seeker was losing to the host, so she became fearful and hateful of what was happening to her. When she saw something similar happening to Wanda/Melanie, she had another venue to channel her hatred towards. I think the fact that another alien was losing the battle to a human host made the seeker feel better about herself.
Morrigan
Settled in Forks

Post by Morrigan »

the seeker was the alien version of the humans. destroy first, ask questions later. her and ians brother *i forget due to the late hour* are two peas in a pod.

maybe ive written too many papers, but i would say that she is an example of why any sort of reform where everyone is expected to live in harmony falls apart. the act of free will. sounds good until you factor in greed, hate, anger, fear, love, any chemical reaction, ect. and she is why wanda breaks free. if it wasnt for the seeker, she probably wouldnt have been pushed to the limits that she was, and therefore wouldnt have forged a common enemy with her host.

the enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that jazz

and it was the seekers "first life". shes a kid. im sure this is a bad example, but once, while babysitting, an eight year old girl proceeded to tell me why anyone who wasnt white was bad. it broke my heart and i had a virbal confrontation with her parents.... but it shows that we only execute what we know. we only know what we are taught. she saw a fellow life form loose themselves within a host body, and became extremely fearful.
infernal dingbat
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

The Seeker is far from being like Kyle. Whereas you can factor fear into both, Kyle was motivated by hatred of losing his love. The Seeker was fighting a losing battle, so much that she began to take on human characteristics. What we saw was a soul manipulated and acting more and more human due to Lacey's imposing character. She's a pitiable character, truly.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
Heart Song
Wandering Through Town

Post by Heart Song »

ashleygill03 wrote:I actually (think I) understand why the seeker is the way that she is. When people/alien's are fearful of something, they become hateful. The seeker was losing to the host, so she became fearful and hateful of what was happening to her. When she saw something similar happening to Wanda/Melanie, she had another venue to channel her hatred towards. I think the fact that another alien was losing the battle to a human host made the seeker feel better about herself.
If we go back to the prologue we see that it was the Seeker who insisted that Wanda be inserted into Melanie against Fords Deep Waters better judgment. This makes the Seeker all the more reprehensible because she knew that the compatibility of a Soul with a wild human was limited at best.

Wanda was the Seeker's great experiment. If Wanda could find a way to control her host, the Seeker might be able to find a way to control hers.

The Seeker's motives were purely selfish and self-serving.
banner by the lovely ~ouisa~ adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis

Twilight Stories and Host Stories
piemurmom2
Settled in Forks

Post by piemurmom2 »

This was the Seeker's first body. She had no previous experience, just her mother's memory to counteract Lacey. Lacey just overpowered her. I think she was more Lacey than anything else. I sorta wonder how she got that job anyway, unless the job of Seeker is mostly given to first timers who are susceptable to the anger and cruelty the job requires. (I can't see a "Flower" becoming a seeker). Even Wanda changed a little bit when she went into Pet's body (giggly & shy). I still don't think Wanda's comment about there not being a central authority is reality. I believe there is another class that is in charge of the overall strategic direction of the species. Afterall why would Wanda becomes the Seeker's only responsibility, if there wasn't some one to agree with the assignment. I don't see this as a "free" society. You're free as long as you go with the flow. The Seeker was acting too bizarrely for no one not to notice or comment among the other seekers. I think the Seeker was actually hoping that Wanderer would decide to give up Melanie. Maybe it would be her opportuinity to get away from Lacey.
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
cedwardrox
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cedwardrox »

I think the seeker was following Wanda because she needed help with her host and thought she could help since she had the same problem. I think she could have been a little nicer about it, but that seems rather impossible.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb." (EC)
"What a stupid lamb." (BS)
"What a sick, masochistic lion." (EC)

Team Nessie. NO! Not the Loch Ness Monster!

E<3B (Team Edward)
R<3B (Team Renesmee)