Twilight verses the Host

Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Applepolisher
Settled in Forks
Location: Chandler, AZ . . . just a hop, skip, and a jump away from where it all began.

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by Applepolisher »

No comparison. Twilight, hands down.

I'm sorry, but The Host was one of my least favorite books. Very thought provoking, but I found it hard to relate to a character that was so . . . well, alien. I identified with Bella a lot, and it made it an enjoyable read but I was miserable through most of this book since EVERYTHING was such a chore. I did enjoy knowing about area they were in though. I always know I'm half way between Phoenix and Tucson when I pass Picacho Peak on the I-10. : )

Maybe I'm just not that into that kind of Sci-fi stuff. I'm glad I gave it a chance, but I probably won't be reading any of the books if they come out.
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Ellie Ibis »

This one is easy. For me there is also no comparison, but it's The Host who wins out.

It has a better and far more thought-provoking plotline, and it wasn't simply a "book about love" because contrary to what Meyer wrote in in some novel or another, romance is not the best part of a book or even the driving force. It has a solid concept, and while I think, in terms of other science fiction, it's sub-par, but it's still quite good and fun to read.

Twilight is entertaining, but in terms of presenting real conflict and more complex ideas and issues it was sadly lacking, I think. The Host improved and fixed a lot of problems in Meyer's writing that her previous novels had. She's still got a lot to learn, but you can tell she's improving and really becoming a story-teller.

Also, I'm mentioned this in another thread, but I love me some post-apocalyptic novels.
the cops & the kids & the cats & the robbers
& the stolen moments from the out of tune guitars
Twilight_Perfection
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Twilight_Perfection »

Well, for me, this is a pretty hard decision, because even though the books are quite different, the characters are practically the same. You can figure out who is who: i.e Ian=Edward, Wanda=Bella, etc. But I would probably have to choose, Twilight, because the minute I opened the book, I was hooked. The Host took me like 50 pages to really get into it.

VYVY
Settled in Forks

Post by VYVY »

TWILIGHT ALL THE WAY!
Because for me, Twilight has different moods in each chapter and The Host is...I don't know...mysterious in a way. I don't know. But I prefer Twilight.
Credit - (Icon & Banner) By SideKick @ Vesperarium
bodysnatcher
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bodysnatcher »

The Host. The writing and plot was much more complex. I give SM cred on her writing in this novel because it was HER BEST. In this book you actually see how much SM has grown as a writer and novelist. I also think that The Host can paralell different things in life beside "Romance". It can be interpreted in different ways: a book about the diferent kinds of love, a book about humanity. In fact, I think it's interesting that The Host celebrates flawed human characteristics while Twilight shines a light on the supernatural.

Pretty much, The Host was absolutely awesome. :D
"and the boy loved the tree"
porscheturbo911
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by porscheturbo911 »

I can't pick! Both are so amazingly well written.

For me, Twilight was just surreal. It was the best book I had read in ages. I mean, I've read it so many times but it's still as amazing as it was the first time I read it! The characters are so real, and the storyline is fantastic! It's just so easy to fall in love with it.

And then, I picked up The Host the other day, not expecting all too much, and I was blown away. It was so differently written from Twilight. It was somewhat hard to believe that SM had written both of the novels. I agree with bodysnatcher that The Host shows Stephenie's growth as a writer. I loved how the theme in The Host didn't just revolve around love of couples, but on us as a human race, and the choices we make in desperation.

So for me, I would have to say it's a tie between Twilight and The Host.
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

In theory, the Host is my favourite.

I thought the writing was much better, I agree with bodysnatcher that it was her best.

And the plot was also (to me) a lot stronger, it seemed to flow better, instead of being divided into segments. (1st half of twilight, meeting and falling in love with edward. 2nd half, running away from tracker. New Moon - bella coming awake after edwards leaving, bella and jacob, volterra. eclipse was more tangled. but BD actually had seperate books for each part) And it threw up a lot of questions and made you think more.

But in reality . . .

Twilight wins. No competition. Which one have I read 11 times? Twilight. Which one have I read once? The Host. Which book do I talk non-stop about at school? Twilight.
I think it's just because the characters are so defined, so loveable, and they just pull you in to a fantastic world. I think the problem is that I'd rather picture myself kissing Edward than saving the last humans on Earth. romance is just more enjoyable to me.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
cedwardrox
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cedwardrox »

Persephonie wrote:It's difficult to compare, because both are oh so different.
I immensly enjoyed both, enough to read them several times.... but if I had to pick one, I would choose Twilight, simply because I started "feeling" the story from the get go. I really started getting involved in The Host when she was found and brought to the caves......
I completly agree. I got into Twilight after the first page where as The Host took a lot longer. I also like Twilight more because it was captivating the whole way through. There were some times I was bored with The Host and could easily put it down to do something else. Twilight had me the whole time.

E<3B Add to your posts if you're Team Edward!!
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb." (EC)
"What a stupid lamb." (BS)
"What a sick, masochistic lion." (EC)

Team Nessie. NO! Not the Loch Ness Monster!

E<3B (Team Edward)
R<3B (Team Renesmee)
char1eigh
Settled in Forks

Post by char1eigh »

I read The Host right after I finished the Twilight books and it didn't compare. I don't think that it was because the Host wasn't as good; I think I just didn't give myself time to emerge from Twilight.
bookluvverx4
Settled in Forks

Post by bookluvverx4 »

Ouisa wrote:The Host. It's a richer more complex story than just the boy meets girl, boy wants to kill girl story in Twilight. The characters beyond the love quadrangle are deeper as well. I also like the examination of the many aspects of love (maternal, fraternal, compassion for the suffering, platonic, love for the whole of society....) The Host provided wonderful glimpses of each kind as well as the chance to analyze what truly makes us human.
You took the words right out of my mouth! Although I loved the Twilight Saga, I think "The Host" was a million times better because the plot line was so much more complex. In "Twilight"....PLEASE DON'T KILL ME FOR THIS....I kind of got sick of the love story between BellaxEdward. I wanted some new element of the story to take place. "The Host" had romance, drama, action, compassion, even some horrific moments...and of course, the ending was a real tearjerker. Plus, this is the first book that ever made me BAWL...that's got to count for something. I loved Wanda's ending, and I want more! I really admire the characters in "The Host" a lot more too....and the story can really teach you a lesson about learning to love life while you can. This novel taught me to appreciate what I have in life, and I know I need to try harder to attain the things I've wanted to have for years. Thank you, Stephenie, for writing this book.
P.S.: I fell in love with Ian. :oops:
TEAM JACOB ALL THE WAY! TEAM O'SHE...PROOF THAT NOT ALL GUYS ARE THE SAME!