1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
Even before I read New Moon this was one of my favorite quotes in the whole book. I loved the sentiment and before Alice said it, I wasn't able to fully understand the closeness and love of the Cullen family members. It speaks volumes that they are all so invested in Edward's happiness and really helps conceptualize just how long and hard it's been in the last century for Edward being alone. Anyways on the topic, I only love the statement even more after reading New Moon, it would be tragic both for the Cullens and obviously Edward to lose Bella, she's changed his life, which has in turn changed theirs as well.
2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?
I was never afraid of his during this chapter, I find Jasper extremely interesting and I was glad that he talked more her. It was nice to see how protective he was over Bella and especially Alice. Up until now Jasper was portrayed as possibly on the fence about Bella's involvement with Edward, but now we see he seems to be as devoted to the relationship as the rest of the family members (aside from Rosalie)
3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
I thought it was incredibly interesting that they were venomous and it was just another reason that I like Stephenie's vampires so much, because they are so outside of the norm in awesome ways. I've said it before, apparently I am dense because I actually didn't think twice about Bella and Edward kissing regarding the venom. It helped explain part of the reason for his reactions to her kissing him, especially when she did it open-mouthed, but I didn't really think too deeply about it, like what if she had a cut in her mouth, etc, etc.
4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?
I'm going to answer similarly to how I did with another, I think he doesn't want her to know any more details than necessary both to not scare her, and also because he maybe doesn't want her to get any ideas. Strong love can cloud judgement, Edward really doesn't want Bella to become a vampire or want to become one, so maybe he is afraid that if she knows the process her love for him will make her risk consequences just to be with him for eternity, he doens't want to see her take those risks.
5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
Hmm, I didn't think that Alice saw Bella going to the studio until Bella had decided to do it and she wrote the note to Edward. I think she knew that Bella had a history there and she wondered what Bella's connection was to the place and how strong it was, she may have been trying to find out if Bella had any reason to go there, even if Bella didn't know it yet. I think Alice was doing some puzzling there. Perhaps if she told Bella not to go there, Bella might be inclined to go there even more.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium