Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: The Ending?

Post by navarre »

Amivera wrote:You should get it, Navarre, but you'll have to trudge through the first nine chapters. Once you reach the main plot, however, it'll be pretty hard to put down. Just remember not to think about spousal abuse or misogyny, though, or it'll completely ruin the experience.

:)
Thanks, Amivera for the 'heads-up! I look forward to a good read.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
xmen91192
Settled in Forks

Post by xmen91192 »

I think the ending was great, i was so happy with it! I cried harder at the end than what i did in New Moon - and thats saying something! I noticed many of you are mentioning wat a sequel would be like and stephenie is thinking about it:

MTV: Do you plan on writing "Host" sequels?

Meyer: I hope. If I were to continue on with "The Host," which is a possibility, there are characters and stories that could continue. ... If I went ahead with that, it would be two more. ... Next would be "The Soul," and then "The Seeker."

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb"

"What a stupid lamb"

"What a sick, masochistic lion"
dolphindog
Settled in Forks

Post by dolphindog »

xmen91192 wrote: MTV: Do you plan on writing "Host" sequels?

Meyer: I hope. If I were to continue on with "The Host," which is a possibility, there are characters and stories that could continue. ... If I went ahead with that, it would be two more. ... Next would be "The Soul," and then "The Seeker."
That's great! There's another thread for that though... (I hope I don't sound mean...) I was a bit disturbed that Wanda was stuck into a young girl's body. She seemed to be so determined and self-sacrificing in the book that I thought the body wasn't right for her. Of course, in the real world, you can't choose your body, but you're body is sort of like a mirror of who you are. I think that Ian will be fine with that though, seeing how he said he would love her no matter what, but I think it's going to be a little though for Mel and Jared. Wanda was always a part of Mel, but overall I think the book ended great.
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

I loved the book, but the end didn't make much sence. I thought she told Doc that she didn't want to come back because she didn't trust herself in a new body, so why wasn't she angrier at Doc when she woke up? She was just like "oh, I didn't die," and then went on with life. I just thought she would have been a little less trustworthy with Doc because he didn't keep his promise. :?
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

I think that Stephenie made the ending really cool. It was made to make the reader want the Sequel!
I think that Ian and Wanda would be able to love themselves completely as well as Melanie and Jared, even though Wanda did at some point have feelings for Jared :D
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*
cedwardrox
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cedwardrox »

I did not see the ending coming the way it did. I don't know what I thought the ending would be, but I didn't think it would be what actually happened.

I wasn't big on Wanda in Pet's body. I'm glad Mel and Jared could be together though. I wish Pet had been taller though. I didn't like how she was so short.

E<3B
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb." (EC)
"What a stupid lamb." (BS)
"What a sick, masochistic lion." (EC)

Team Nessie. NO! Not the Loch Ness Monster!

E<3B (Team Edward)
R<3B (Team Renesmee)
OneDazzledLamb
Settled in Forks

Post by OneDazzledLamb »

I didn't so much see the ending coming as I was really hoping it would end that way. (You'll have to forgive this die hard romantic and eternal optimist.) When Wanda was telling the story of how she earned the name Rides the Beast, I guess I saw the possibility of the book ending in a similar way for Wanda, so it wasn't a huge surprise for me when they put Wanda in a new host body. Her human friends assuaged her worries about a new host body by making sure it was young, assuring that the host was even younger when she was taken, making it less likely there would be any resistance, any human mind left. Like a fresh start, with only the previous alien's memories there. And Ian so loved Wanda for her mind that he didn't care what she looked like, aside from his and Wanda's conversation that she be "she" and not old. I thought it was incredibly touching when he told her he had held her in his hands and she was beautiful. Because of this, I didn't care what Wanda looked like either. She is a strong soul, but also very mild, meek almost. This new host body seems the very embodiment of meek and mild. As the body ages, it will grow and adapt to the world Wanda lives in. It will become stronger and Wanda's personality will begin to shape it.

All in all, I loved the ending. It makes a wonderful stand alone novel, but also an awesome start to a sequel or trilogy. Either way, The Host is an enchanting book. I look forward to more from Stephanie, be it as a continuation of this novel or an introduction to another world altogether.
Image Image Image
bookluvverx4
Settled in Forks

Post by bookluvverx4 »

I seriously thought Wanda would die, Ian and Lily would grow together, and they would all remember Wanda forever. The ending SCREAMED at me...I'm SOOOO glad they're not the only humans. I want to know more about WandaxIan (I can't get enough of Ian), and I'd like more about MelxJared because they aren't mentioned much TOGETHER in the end. I found it hard to imagine Wanda's new body...but Ian loves her just the same.
TEAM JACOB ALL THE WAY! TEAM O'SHE...PROOF THAT NOT ALL GUYS ARE THE SAME!
ReadingIsSexy
Settled in Forks

Post by ReadingIsSexy »

Now, I am probably just a complete sap, but did anyone else cry at the end?
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

ReadingIsSexy wrote:Now, I am probably just a complete sap, but did anyone else cry at the end?
Yes! I cried!!!! I was seriously SOBBING at the end. I cried more than I did in New Moon!
At least I know I'm not the only sap in the world :D

By the way, I just LOVE your banner.

Love,
*Wanderer*
Last edited by *Wanderer* on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.