A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by ashiekins16 »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I thought it was interesting. I wasn't creeped out at all.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep
this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

It was something hard for him and he was afraid to tell her the terrible details of it.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all? Well I already know the answer to this..

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
I fell even harder. Something about him..he can't creep me out at all. No matter what he does.. haha

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think he's trying to protect her but he also doesn't know how things would work if they got too close.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I got it from the start. I didn't think he would lie to Bella about something like that. He cares for her too much.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
My first thoughts about his human history were that it was really sad. I always found it sad, but compassionate that all the Cullen aside from Alice and Jasper were turned on their deathbed. Esme, Rosalie, Emmett, and Edward have such sad stories. I didn't think anything at all about his age. I figured he was pretty old once I figured out he was immortal. I don't think it matters much in their relationship other than its something outside of the norm. I think its cute that he retains some of his 1900's chivalry too.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
If I had tried to answer this before I had read the Midnight Sun chapters I would say because it was so painful for him and he was trying not to scare her. It could also be because he didn't want to give her any information about the process that wasn't absolutely critical because he didn't want her to get any "ideas".

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
Answering this like I haven't finished the series- I would think it has something to do with her mind. She might be able to hear peoples thoughts like Edward can, maybe that makes them a match. Maybe she could change peoples thoughts, subliminally influence them or something, not their emotions like Jasper, but their actual thoughts. (After reading BD, I see that Bella's talent should have been fairly obvious long before she was a vampure :) )

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
Haha, I was shocked! I am apparently "exceptionally unobservant" and I had no idea he was doing this. I was embarassed for Bella and wondered what she'd said in her sleep, but then I just felt swoony, like whoa- he loves her a lot.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think its both. He's trying to protect Bella and also for her not to get her hopes up, but I also think that he's being honest with himself. Being near her and her scent and even kissing her are completely different than being intimate with someone, I can only imagine that all his urges would be incredibly intensified. I think he is very aware and fearful of hurting her. He's also promised her that he won't ever hurt her, so this is maybe a risk that he isn't willing to take with her.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I took it to mean that he hadn't been intimate with anyone before. I don't know if I ever saw where Stephenie put this to rest, a little help? I'm curious now, I had always just been going off my assumptions and heresay from others.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
porscheturbo911
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by porscheturbo911 »

I wasn't creeped out at all. Edward's age and history gives adds so much to his character.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

Probably for a lot of reasons. One would be not to scare her. Another would probably be so that she doesn't start daydreaming about being a vampire... (too late for that now, though :P).

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

At first, I didn't really think about Bella the vampire. But when I first read Eclipse, I started wondering what she would be like if she were to turn into a vampire. Right before Breaking Dawn was released, I thought her power would have been something like Renata's; the physical shield. But in my mind, it was more like a force field.

I had no idea that he actually watched her sleep in her room! At first, I thought he was watching her from her window, but after reading Midnight Sun, I was kinda shocked that he was in her room. But seeing as Edward's intentions were pure (most of the time) I wasn't really creeped out.

I'm pretty sure he had no idea what would happen if they ever had intimate contact, so for sure it was to protect her.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

I have no doubt about it that Edward had never been intimate with someone else. He's too much of a gentleman.
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

I was a little creeped out by his real age. I was thinking that she was kissing someone who was at least 103. Talk about a May-December romance. He shouldn't even be alive anymore. But then I thought, what if Edward hadn't gotten sick with the influenza and then transformed into a vampire? Edward and Bella would have never met, which was unbearably sad to me. I got over his age quickly.

Probably because he didn't want to put any ideas in her head. He probably didn't want to scare her either, because I'm sure she was already thinking about becoming a vampire so she could be with Edward forever.

We already know what special trait she has, from Breaking Dawn. She is a shield; she has the ability to shield any mental attacks, not just for her, but for anyone she wants to protect from mental attacks. I actually never thought about it before reading Breaking Dawn though.

Yeah, I always thought he was watching her from outside her window; I didn't know he actually sat in her rocking chair watching her until I read the partial draft of Midnight Sun. I thought it was kind of crazy, but I wasn't creeped out. It did make me fall harder for Edward because it showed just how much he loved and cared about Bella.

I definitely think he's trying to protect Bella. He doesn't want to push the fact that it's becoming easier to be around her without wanting to constantly kill her. Even if he thinks he could control himself enough to not kill her, he doesn't want to put her in pain AT ALL, even if it's just a few small bruises.

I believed him when he said he was a virgin. He seems like the type of person to only have sex for love, and if he had fallen in love, it would have been a permanent thing. He would not be falling for Bella if he had ever loved before.
mom4twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by mom4twilight »

I feel like I should have been creeped out by the age difference, but I wasn't at all. He seemed so frozen in time. Sure, he had a lot of life experience over Bella during his vampire years, but not really much human life experience.

Probably because he didn't want to even plant the seed in her mind that the lifestyle could be a possibility for her.

Well, this question was obviously written before the release of BD, but before I read BD I did have a feeling that Bella's "superpower" would have something to do with the power of her mind.

Again, it probably should have been creepy, but after Edward says his line about "if I could dream it would be about you and I wouldn't feel ashamed" it seemed so sweet!

Probably a little of both. Hand holding and kissing probably don't require nearly as much self-control for Edward as other intimate experiences and it seems that he isn't willing to test himself when Bella's safetly is at risk.

No, I took Edward's comments about relationships and intimacy to mean that he was about as experienced as Bella. While reading Twilight and then what was posted online of Midnight Sun, Edward didn't seem all that confident in himself in those areas.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

Alphie wrote:1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

1. I almost laughed. 105 years old is really really old.

2. Edward probably doesn't want to freak Bella out, due to the gruesome process.

3. I have done reading BD when I saw this question. Can't answer.

4.Fall harder for him! Haha. No joke. Its kinda romantic if some cute unhuman guy checks you out!

5. I think he was trying to protect Bella, but also telling the truth.

6. I never thought of this, but he must be a virgin before right? His first love was Bella after all. Like he said, " Ah, the glory of first love".
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
furrynfun
Settled in Forks

Post by furrynfun »

No, she acts older than most teenagers and he is older than most teenagers

Ithink he thought it would keep her from asking to many questions but it just made her more curious

I always thought Bella would have her mind stay blank and protected from gifts and nothing more because then she would have two gifts

I thought it was sweet even though most people found it creepy

I think its both he's trying to push himself away and convince Bella that it was the right thing to do

I thought he was being sincere and honest and it shows even more how they were meant to be with eachother
Twilove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilove »

It didnt creep me out when he said how old her was he still looked 17 and even if his mind was older Bella has an older mind too so ya

did not creep me out at all when he told he that he was watching he sleep i thought it was cute because he wanted to make sure she was safe at all times

and i dont think Edward was lying about past relationships and if he was innocent look at the time he was raised boys were taught to be gentelmen i believe it when he said he was never in a intimate relationship
Krystal
Lured By the Scent

Post by Krystal »

No, not really because he was forever seventeen, so he wasn't old looking or anything.

I think he wanted her to not ask questions about it.

Well, we know what it is now, and I thought that she would have strong self control and that was part of it.

A little creepy, but I got past that and thought about how sweet it was.

I think he wanted Bella to think it was the right thing to do, so that something doesn't accidently happen.

I think that he wasn't lying, he was being true to Bella. I believe he really wanted to keep his virtue until marriage.
by myhopesaresohigh @ vesperarium
EllaMinnowPee
Settled in Forks

Post by EllaMinnowPee »

Alphie wrote:1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

Hmmm. I don't think I had a reaction to finding out his human age- 17- or that he has been 17 for 75 years or so already. I actually thought he would be older.

I don't know. It doesn't make sense. From the beginning he knew that he wouldn't want her to become a vampire, so wouldn't he want to scare her away from the idea of it as early as possible, before she could think of it herself? Maybe he just didn't want her to realize how much pain he was in himself.

Okay, WHERE does Stephanie tell us this? There must be a Twilight guide or something. It looks like a trip to the bookstore is in order tomorrow! In answer to the question, we know that Bella is special in some way- Edward can't read her mind. Edward alone, though, is drawn to her- the other Cullens don't feel it. How this trait of Bella's would be enhanced as a vampire, I can't imagine. I hope it happens so we can find out!

Normally it would creep me out. But with Edward it's just incredibly romantic.

Both.

Edward is an old-fashioned guy so it never crossed my mind that he had an intimate relationship- physical or otherwise- with anyone else before Bella. I don't remember where it was written, but didn't he say that he didn't even realize there was something missing from his life until he met Bella? Although, it wouldn't have surprised me if he had had a physical relationship with another vampire. He's been around a long time, after all.