A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 23 ~ The Truth

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
She thinks that Edward is too pure to be in hell, even though he is a vampire.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
He didnt think that there should have been any odds at all.

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?
No. They would need many other people to be able to take them down.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?
Because she wants to know what everyone else in the family thinks if she wants to become one of them. Edward probably wasnt happy, but maybe he just thought they would side with him. and not her.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
squeakmouse25
Wandering Through Town

Post by squeakmouse25 »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
Bella's true definition of heaven is Edward. Likewise, her version of hell would be any place without him. Also, despite Edward's belief that he doesn't have a soul, she believes he belongs in heaven and not hell.
2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
It is pretty ironic that Harry Clearwater happened to die right at the same time that Edward thought Bella was dead, and that Jacob's words would be ambiguous enough for Edward to believe Bella was really dead.

Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?
Edward doesn't think the Volturi will check on her for at least hundreds of years, so i dont think he really thinks through what would happen if they did. The volturi are definitely more powerful than the Cullens, so the odds of the Cullens winning a fight against them are pretty slim.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?
Bella knows that Edward will never agree to change her, and she realizes that it should be the decision of all of the Cullens, since she is essentially a member of their family now. Edward is obviously conflicted, because he feels guilty for taking her mortality, but he knows that putting it to a vote is a logical and "fair" way to solve the issue. However, i dont think he fully commits to this solution, because when the rest of the Cullens decide Bella should be changed, he throws a fit.
--Squeakmouse--
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

She sees the best in Edward, she sees what he doesn't. She thinks he has a soul, and would have gone to a better place because she was the one who fell in love with a vampire.

"the odds" were that they were Bella and not someone else. He should have talked to Alice about the funeral. He took the word of one of his enemies.

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?

I doubt that there would have been a chance at that point because what save them in the end of the series tjat none of them were aware of was Bella.

Will have to get back to you on this on the first question. As for what Edward thinks, I think he was surprised to know why she wanted to go. He wanted to keep her human as long as he could and would want to turn her himself.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:These questions were provided by Be My Escape.

1) That hell would not have Edward in it - heaven would.

2)That the odds have always been against them, as a vampire and human in a deep relationship, it is bound to go wrong at some point. That's my take.

3) No.

4)Because the Cullens had a stake in all of this, too. Because of the visit to Volterra to save Edward, this opened a can of worms so to speak with Edward and his family now in the crosshairs of Aro's power grab.
Edward is probably thinking he will have the upper hand in this argument an dnot Bella.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
StarEmerson

Post by StarEmerson »

Oooh thats a hard one! Ha! Heaven - Happiness for Bella and that would be with Edward.

The odds were on that Alice saw Bella killing herself, Jacob said THE funeral, because it was important.

Maybe a few of them, but not the whole guard. Jane could only attack one at once so they would take her out then fight the others. The boys do think they are indestructable though, what with their gifts. BUT Emmett and Jasper have not met the Volturi. I liked that the women were like "NO WAY!!!"

She came to that decision because she was worried for the others safety, so she thought it should concern them too and not just Edward. I think she made a good choice doing that.
Edward is furious. He knows he has lost. He can read minds, he knows the others will say "yes"
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"

wowgolds987
Settled in Forks

Post by wowgolds987 »

trhmllr wrote:1. She believes that hell is the absence of Edward. If he is with her than she is not in hell. Plus she doesn't believe that he is doomed to go to hell just because he is a vampire. She thinks he has a soul and is perfect/good.

2. The odds...Alice has a vision of Bella jumping off the cliff. She can't see werewolves so she doesn't know Bella was saved. Rose tells Edward what Alice saw. He calls Charlie, some one tells him that he is at a funeral. What are the odds that it would be someone elses funeral? That is what he means. He said he should of been more careful becasue he thinks he should have found out if it was Bella for sure before he tried to "off himself"!
Mmoinn.com is a beautiful site, you can enjoy the fastest and best services.
wow gold
cheap wow gold
buy wow gold
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

That, heaven would not be without Edward. What point would there be? But, also... if she had died, and Edward had died, she believes Edward would have gone to Heaven, not hell. So, if she was in Hell, Edward would be absent.

Haha, oh I don't know. What are the odds that somebody so close would have died when Edward though that Bella had? When she was in so much danger? I also think that he might have been thinking about the odds of many different things, but I can't honestly say what.

I hate to say this, but no. I don't. The Volturi are much to powerful to be beaten by six vampires, no matter how strong, quick, and willful they are. I think it's a terrible idea.

Well, she obviously doesn't want to stay human forever. And now what happens to her affects everybody, it's not just her life on the line anymore. She's always centered herself around avoiding hurting anybody else at all costs. I think Edward was surprised, maybe a little angry. But honestly, I don't think he really thought it mattered, or that everyone would be so willing to go against what he wants.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
leahlovetwilight
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by leahlovetwilight »

i've gained a new appriciation for new moon since finishing breaking dawn..again and again...and this chapter is easily one of the top 5 reasons why.
"when i got home,all my things were in the garage."-edward cullen
he's probably thinking,love sick morons
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

Um well she's already stated that her own hell would be someplace without Edward.

The odds of him thinking Bella has died when someone else in this very small town has instead.

I don't think so no.

She knows the others will side with her and Edward is being stupid, she wants to become a vampire, and not doing so put his entire family in danger.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
She's always called Edward an angel. Angels don't go to hell.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
All of these things happening so that he thinks she's died.

Nope.

Alice saying that she'd change Bella made Bella come to this decision. That she wants to become a vampire right away.