A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
I was trying to remember how to incapacitate an attacker- you know, self defense. I was going to smach his nose into his brain
2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
Yes. She probably just feels really guilty about how she tricked him.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Because she likes him just the way he is. Why would it matter to her her what he is exactly.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she was worried.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
That no matter what she is always going to love him. There was no going back on that. She would love him until she died, and she couldnt help it.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
lovely_and_4ever_17
Settled in Forks

Post by lovely_and_4ever_17 »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
"When Edward is like "I hear voices in my head and you're the freak?" and "You accuse me of dazzling people? Poor Jacob Black."

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
yeah she probably feels guilty about tricking him and she's decided that she doesn't care what Edward is

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
She loves Edward, i mean come on who wouldn't :D

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she's angry and worried

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
She will always love him, no matter what no matter how far away they are from eachother, she'll love him until she dies :lol:
LizCA217
Settled in Forks

Post by LizCA217 »

I don't have the book right here so I'm not sure which is the very best but I do like the one that others have quoted: "I hear voices in my head and you're the freak?"

I don't think she regrets it at all! She needed that information. She might feel slightly guilty for leading him on and using that specific flirting technique but I think she'd do it again if needed.

I think she just made up her mind that she cares about him, regardless of what he is. She doesn't feel like he would hurt her so she's decided that her desire to be near him outweighs everything else.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
She's feeling rejected and hurt but I think it was out of misunderstanding.

I think she began falling for him when he started being nicer to her but the actual moment she fell too far to come back from, I think was when he saved her from the strangers on the street.
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

I liked the part where Bella tells Edward how she 'tried to flirt' with Jacob to get the information she wanted from him. "And you accused me of dazzling people - poor Jacob Black." => Made me smile. :D

Not really. I think she just feels a bit guilty and still surprised because it actually worked.

Because she's already in love with Edward. It doesn't matter anymore what he is. It's too late to care about stupid little things like him being a vampire. ;)

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she's afraid to be rejected by Edward. She's telling him she doesn't care about what he is and he makes it seem like it's not okay for her to feel that way. As if he doesn't want her to feel like that. I think she worries he might not feel the same way as she does.

I think it just means she realized she can't live without him.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I read this question and thought, this'll be fun!
Let's see... my favorite....
I'd have to say the one about the 'built in radar detector' or the one where she says it doesn't matter, and then she asks if she's right, and he asks, "does it matter??"... I know that doesn't seem so funny, but I giggled a little. Of course, I was fabulously giddy throughout the whole ordeal, so....

Maybe a little, but I'm pretty sure she pushes it out of her mind to make room for more Edward soon enough.

Because, even though she's just starting to realize what he is and what he can do, I think at this point she knows that she loves him. She knows that she will give herself no other choice than to be with him. And because of that, what he is, what he's done, and what he can/will do ceases to matter.

Anger and a little hurt. Anger at herself, mostly, and hurt because Edward, while his intentions are good, does come of a little harsh there at the end. :(

Huh. When he saved her? When she first looked into his caramel eyes? It's difficult to know... but I personally fell in love with him when he was in the hospital with her and said, "Then I hope you enjoy disappointment." I don't know why (probably because I'm a sucker for a smooth talker.) I don't know when she finally realized it... maybe it was from the very beginning, maybe there at the end of the chapter when she learns about him... hard to say. It's a really good question.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

"and you accused me of dazzeling people-poor Jacob Black"- It was so cute to see things from his perspective on her, it made me realize that he had a pretty big crush on her.
"i hear voices in my mind and your worried that you're the freak" it just made me bust up laughing it was so funny the way he said it
and last but not least "I suppose being you, it could have been much worse" and the stuff about annoying Emmett, it made me laugh because well, I wouldn't go out of my way to annoy Emmett. :shock:

oh yeah...I think she felt bad for leading him on.

She's in love with Edward anyway.

She hasn't figured out how much he likes her, she's sad because to her it feels like he's rejecting her.

At the restrant.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

"I hear voices in my head and you're worried that you're the freak. Don't worry, it's just a theory. . ." I love this because Edward knows how crazy it might seem to Bella yet she doesn't really care about it. =)

Yeah since that's when Jacob starts coming up to Forks from La Push to visit Bella. =O

Because she has fallen madly in love with Edward and doesn't care what he is. (I don't blame her either)

Her love for Edward and that she hates to see him upset (which she thinks is at her when he reveals to her that he's mad at himself).

Where she said "That was the first night that I had a dream of Edward Cullen". =)
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
twilight_fanpire
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by twilight_fanpire »

like others have said, I really like the "I hear voices and you're worried that you're a freak." quote. It's one of my favorite quotes from the book.

Yes, Bella seems like the type of person who feels guilty really easily. She feels bad for tricking him and leading him on.

It doesn't matter to her because she loves him too much to care what he is. Also, she realizes that he would never hurt her on purpose.

I think that she is angry and upset that she doesn't exactly know how Edward feels about her. She knows that she loves him, but isn't sure how he feels because he keeps changing his attitude and sometimes is all perfect and nice, and other times he is more stand offish.
I think that she started having some feelings for him the first time she saw him because he is the only thing on her mind throughout the whole book. I think she fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with him after he saved her in port angeles.
Bulldozer Trainee in EDC,Inc.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.." <3 E<3B
xsundaybestx
Settled in Forks

Post by xsundaybestx »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why? "I hear voices in my head and you're worried I'm the freak"

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him? No, because I don't think she ever had any intention to be good friend with Jacob in the first place.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella? Duh, she loves him. nothing matter when you're in love.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry. Edward is not hiding his anger at some points during the car ride home. I'm sure she's scared of loosing him.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward? I don't think there was a point. I think it just happened over the course of time. But I don't think she realized she was in love with him until that night.
Team Vampire.
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

"And you accused me of dazzling people -- poor Jacob Black."

Yes, because she's a sensitive and caring person. She doesn't want to hurt his feelings.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella? She loves Edward. It wouldn't matter if Edward killed people, not animals. She'd love him just as much.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry. She's terrified of the thought that she might lose him, because he's trying to convince himself to do the "right thing"

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward? The very moment she laid eyes on him. But she didn't know it until that night.