General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueOrchid
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Jacob and Edward's relationship

Post by BlueOrchid »

Hahaha poor Nessie! She is going to be way over protected. With her parents, and now Jacob being on the same side too. Plus, try getting into trouble when your aunt will see it the moment you even think up a plan.
emmett_<3
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmett_<3 »

This is one of the things that made me hate certain parts of Breaking Dawn. I hated how just because Jake imprinted on Nessie, he became so accepting of Edward. It didn't make sense. Just before in the book, and all the previous ones, he was ready to kill Edward on the spot! How could one little thing erase all of that!? I mean, i liked the conflict between the two (i've said this in another thread), it showed their characters, what they were willing to do for Bella. That's one of the things i loved about Jake, his determination. BUT, my point, his love for Bella didn't lessen at all, it just changed to a different love, so why on earth should Jake be suddenly sooo accepting to Edward. It makes no sense to me. And the 'son' line, killed it all for me.
"The piercing, heartbroken howling grew fainter and then disappeared entirely." <3

"Could a dead, frozen heart break? It felt like mine would." -MS
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

I think that Bella's and Nessie's life is going to be hilarious, now that Jacob and Edward finally got along! Oh, and I really LOVED the part in Breaking Dawn when Edward called Jacob 'brother'!
S_M_G
Learning to Love Green

Post by S_M_G »

emmett_<3 wrote:This is one of the things that made me hate certain parts of Breaking Dawn. I hated how just because Jake imprinted on Nessie, he became so accepting of Edward. It didn't make sense. Just before in the book, and all the previous ones, he was ready to kill Edward on the spot! How could one little thing erase all of that!? I mean, i liked the conflict between the two (i've said this in another thread), it showed their characters, what they were willing to do for Bella. That's one of the things i loved about Jake, his determination. BUT, my point, his love for Bella didn't lessen at all, it just changed to a different love, so why on earth should Jake be suddenly sooo accepting to Edward. It makes no sense to me. And the 'son' line, killed it all for me.
I thought the book from Jacob's POV shed light on why he got to accept Edward. I don't think it was just because he imprinted on Renesmee. He got to see how much Edward loved Bella. And Jake is a teenager, most of his hate for Edward was because of jealousy, that jealousy died when he imprinted on Nessie. He always hated Edward because for Jacob he would be responsible for the death of Bella (her becoming a vampire). Bella "died" giving birth to Nessie and in Jacob's eyes Edward was the one who SAVED Bella. Edward was the reason Nessie came to life.

Another thing was Jake realizing it was still the same Bella he loved, his best friend, after she became a vampire.

Everything Jacob accused Edward of, everything he hated Edward for turned out to be the best things Jake could ever ask for.

And the "my brother...My son" line was one of the best lines of BD for me. I bawled my eyes off. I was sure Edward and Bella were going to die at that point. :?

"You give faith to the ones you love,but the people who really deserve it are the ones who come through even when you don't love them enough".”
BlueOrchid
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by BlueOrchid »

S_M_G wrote: I thought the book from Jacob's POV shed light on why he got to accept Edward. I don't think it was just because he imprinted on Renesmee. He got to see how much Edward loved Bella. And Jake is a teenager, most of his hate for Edward was because of jealousy, that jealousy died when he imprinted on Nessie. He always hated Edward because for Jacob he would be responsible for the death of Bella (her becoming a vampire). Bella "died" giving birth to Nessie and in Jacob's eyes Edward was the one who SAVED Bella. Edward was the reason Nessie came to life.
Excellent point! It was kind of like after Jacob saw how much pain Edward was going through, he gained a ton of respect for him.

Oh and I liked the son comment as well. It was a little cheesy but still sweet. =]
emmett_<3
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmett_<3 »

S_M_G wrote: I thought the book from Jacob's POV shed light on why he got to accept Edward. I don't think it was just because he imprinted on Renesmee. He got to see how much Edward loved Bella. And Jake is a teenager, most of his hate for Edward was because of jealousy, that jealousy died when he imprinted on Nessie. He always hated Edward because for Jacob he would be responsible for the death of Bella (her becoming a vampire). Bella "died" giving birth to Nessie and in Jacob's eyes Edward was the one who SAVED Bella. Edward was the reason Nessie came to life.

Another thing was Jake realizing it was still the same Bella he loved, his best friend, after she became a vampire.

Everything Jacob accused Edward of, everything he hated Edward for turned out to be the best things Jake could ever ask for.

And the "my brother...My son" line was one of the best lines of BD for me. I bawled my eyes off. I was sure Edward and Bella were going to die at that point. :?
Well said, i'll give you that. But it seemed to easy. One look, and everything changed. Things like that annoy me. I guess you could say imprinting annoys me. To each their own.

Hmm. I cried too, but because of Bella and Renesmee. Not Edward.
"The piercing, heartbroken howling grew fainter and then disappeared entirely." <3

cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

S_M_G wrote: snip
And the "my brother...My son" line was one of the best lines of BD for me. I bawled my eyes off. snip
I'm still amazed at the different reactions to that line. When he said it, it seemed surreal to me. I think I got the intention behind it, but it still felt a bit...off. But I can definitely see why it would touch so many people.
emmett_<3
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmett_<3 »

^ Thank you! Finally. It seems like i was the only one bothered by the line.

Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I think it is interesting that in Breaking Dawn when Jacob went to the Cullen's to kill Edward (and whomever else he could get his hands on), Edward told him that he had been trying to think of a way to get hold of him. He admitted that Jacob interacted with Bella on a level he didn't understand. He admitted that it was possible that Jacob might be able to persuade his wife to agree to a course of action she would not agree to for his sake. Those are not the admissions of a man who was insecure in his love for his wife. The fact that he was able to admit those things confirms to me how secure his and Bella's love was for one another.

The whole "have a puppy" idea--much as it grosses me out--underlines how desperate Edward was to keep Bella alive. But the fact that Edward even considered such an idea shows that he truly did respect Jacob. I've always felt that Edward was jealous of Jacob's mortality and Bella's regard for him, but respected Jacob enough to be honestly grateful for all that Jacob had done for Bella. (But it didn't stop Edward from fighting for Bella as hard as he could!)

The "brother ... son" comment struck me as the natural expression of a father who was turning the entire future and welfare of his beloved daughter over to another man. Edward and Bella expected to die. Their daughter was the most important part of their lives. They were entrusting her to Jacob. I think those who were already dissatisfied and emotionally disconnected with the story felt it was out of character and "Ewww!" and those emotionally into the story were fine with it.
Last edited by Esme echo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

I think at first, there is tension because they are both completely different species. But then Jacob imprints on Renesmee, and Edward and Jacob's relationship becomes more of a friendly relationship, because of Renesmee. It also helps to the fact that Bella is friends with Jacob.