Twilight Saga Q&A

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby threethings » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:30 am

rapidheartbeat<3twi wrote:Geez! Another one! I must have not been paying attention to all these little details that hinted at Harry's problem. I vaguely remember Charlie telling Bella that Harry had some tests. SM must have had those laid out in her mind-you know, that Harry would have a heart attack. She probably pictured it in the plot and subtley slipped in the 'eat your greens' and 'heart tests'.



I don't remember any of that.

Somebody PM about the 100 pages, idk how to.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
threethings
Phase Control Expert
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm
Location: Twittering.

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby ChristinasHeadache » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:35 am

rapidheartbeat<3twi wrote:Whoa! You guys are observant. What page number was Sue telling him to eat more greens?


I have the paperback but not the movie paperback. It is in Chapter 6: Friends... very bottom of page 149

The men talked about the game, and Harry and Charlie made fishing plans. Sue teased her husband about his cholesterol and tried, unsuccessfully, to shame him into eating something green and leafy.

Chapter 10: The Meadow near the top of page 226

I waited, anxiously, while Charlie chatted with his old friend; the conversation seemed to go on forever without Jacob even being mentioned. It seemed that Harry had been in the hospital...some kind of tests for his heart.
Last edited by ChristinasHeadache on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia

Image
User avatar
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Somewhere cold, snuggling with my E-Teddy

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby CantBreathe » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:36 am

rapidheartbeat<3twi wrote:Geez! Another one! I must have not been paying attention to all these little details that hinted at Harry's problem. I vaguely remember Charlie telling Bella that Harry had some tests. SM must have had those laid out in her mind-you know, that Harry would have a heart attack. She probably pictured it in the plot and subtley slipped in the 'eat your greens' and 'heart tests'.


I think it's easy to skip over that kinda stuff while reading because at the time it seems so irrelevant to the story and Harry is such a minor character. It's when you really think about it that you go back and see all the hints that SM left in there so it's not totally random in the end.
Image
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
User avatar
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:58 pm
Location: La La Land

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby Edward_Addict » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:54 am

Well obviously SM hinted at health problems for Harry so that he'd (sadly) eventually die and there would be some kind of funeral for Charlie to be at when Edward calls, hence the misunderstanding about Bella's death and Bella and Edward's eventual reunion in Italy. SM sure is diabolical, isn't she? :D
And as far as people saying Seth and Leah's werewolf-ness led to Harry's heart attack, that's not true at all. Seth and Leah didn't become werewolves until Eclipse, remember? In New Moon the only werewolves are Sam, Paul, Jared, Embry, and Jacob. Seth and Leah didn't change until AFTER Harry was already dead.
Image Image
User avatar
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!
 
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby threethings » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:01 am

Edward_Addict wrote:Well obviously SM hinted at health problems for Harry so that he'd (sadly) eventually die and there would be some kind of funeral for Charlie to be at when Edward calls, hence the misunderstanding about Bella's death and Bella and Edward's eventual reunion in Italy. SM sure is diabolical, isn't she? :D
And as far as people saying Seth and Leah's werewolf-ness led to Harry's heart attack, that's not true at all. Seth and Leah didn't become werewolves until Eclipse, remember? In New Moon the only werewolves are Sam, Paul, Jared, Embry, and Jacob. Seth and Leah didn't change until AFTER Harry was already dead.


Yes, your right. Maybe he knew about Sam and just couldn't take it anymore. Maybe Billy was throwing all his worry's to Harry's shoulders, he's very superstitious.
Oh, by the way, i'm sending you a PM.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
threethings
Phase Control Expert
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm
Location: Twittering.

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby Edward_Addict » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:14 am

Ok so I know I'm posting really soon after my last post, but I read through all 100 pages of this topic and I didn't see anyone address my questions....

1.) At the end of Twilight, Edward tells Bella that Jasper and Emmett are the ones who kill James.
Twilight, pg. 461 in the hospital:
Bella: "What happened to James?"
Edward: "After I pulled him off you, Emmett and Jasper took care of him." There was a fierce note of regret in his voice.
So my question is this - why in the rest of the series is Edward referred to as James' killer? On page 240 of New Moon, Laurent tells Bella that Victoria is hunting her because "your Edward killed him [James]." I know Victoria and Laurent weren't actually at the dance studio and may just assume that Edward was the one who killed James, but even when Bella makes references to her encounter with James, she always talks about Edward killing him and never mentions Emmett and Jasper actually being the ones who did it. (And on a side rant, it kind of bugs me that they have a whole big "fight scene" between Edward and James in the movie because in the book they didn't even fight. Edward pulled James off Bella and tried to see if she was okay while Emmett and Jasper did the dirty work.)

Wow that was a long paragraph for one question! LOL And on to my next question...

2.) If Bella is/has a shield, even in human form, that prevents her mind from being influenced by vampire powers, wouldn't this shield naturally extend to Renesmee when Bella was still pregnant with her? Yet Edward is able to hear Renesmee's thoughts when she was still in Bella's tummy, at which point he starts to come around with the whole baby thing. I just thought that was a little weird, especially since Bella had such a strong bond with Renesmee from the beginning; you would think she would naturally be protecting her baby too, even if she doesn't actually control the shield yet.
Image Image
User avatar
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!
 
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby liberal_hippie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 am

Edward_Addict wrote:Ok so I know I'm posting really soon after my last post, but I read through all 100 pages of this topic and I didn't see anyone address my questions....

1.) At the end of Twilight, Edward tells Bella that Jasper and Emmett are the ones who kill James.
Twilight, pg. 461 in the hospital:
Bella: "What happened to James?"
Edward: "After I pulled him off you, Emmett and Jasper took care of him." There was a fierce note of regret in his voice.
So my question is this - why in the rest of the series is Edward referred to as James' killer? On page 240 of New Moon, Laurent tells Bella that Victoria is hunting her because "your Edward killed him [James]." I know Victoria and Laurent weren't actually at the dance studio and may just assume that Edward was the one who killed James, but even when Bella makes references to her encounter with James, she always talks about Edward killing him and never mentions Emmett and Jasper actually being the ones who did it. (And on a side rant, it kind of bugs me that they have a whole big "fight scene" between Edward and James in the movie because in the book they didn't even fight. Edward pulled James off Bella and tried to see if she was okay while Emmett and Jasper did the dirty work.)

Wow that was a long paragraph for one question! LOL And on to my next question...

2.) If Bella is/has a shield, even in human form, that prevents her mind from being influenced by vampire powers, wouldn't this shield naturally extend to Renesmee when Bella was still pregnant with her? Yet Edward is able to hear Renesmee's thoughts when she was still in Bella's tummy, at which point he starts to come around with the whole baby thing. I just thought that was a little weird, especially since Bella had such a strong bond with Renesmee from the beginning; you would think she would naturally be protecting her baby too, even if she doesn't actually control the shield yet.


For #1, it is because Bella was what James was after and Edward was Bella's "mate". Vampires always avenge the death of their mate. It is a good point you make though.

For #2, it is because Renesmee is in Bella's uterus, not her mind. Bella's shield only has to do with her mind. She can protect other people's minds too but she doesn't figure it out until way after.
liberal_hippie
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:11 am

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby edward4ever » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Edward_Addict wrote:
1.) So my question is this - why in the rest of the series is Edward referred to as James' killer?

2.) If Bella is/has a shield, even in human form, that prevents her mind from being influenced by vampire powers, wouldn't this shield naturally extend to Renesmee when Bella was still pregnant with her?


Two great questions Edward_Addict! Here are my thoughts on them:

1) When everyone was in the clearing where they played baseball, Edward was her main protector. Victoria saw that Bella was Edward's mate. When they take Bella away, James and Victoria split up. When James ends up dead, Victoria does one of two things... a) makes the assumption that Edward killed James (her mate) and therefore wants to kill Edward's mate so he can feel the same pain she does OR... b) she doesn't care which one of them killed James, it's Bella's fault that James is dead so she wants someone to feel the same pain she does.

Although, I think the answer is closer to "a)" because Victoria tells Laurent (I think) that Edward killed James.

2) liberal_hippie made a very good point about it being Bella's mind that was the shield. I'd like to expand that a bit:
-Bella's power was not as strong when she was a human
-She didn't know she had the power at the time and therefore didn't know how to control it AND
-Bella didn't feel a need to protect her babies mind. She and Rosalie were protecting the baby from Edward's wish to terminate, but nobody was trying to manipulate the babies mind.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
User avatar
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby Esme echo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Edward_Addict wrote:Well obviously SM hinted at health problems for Harry so that he'd (sadly) eventually die and there would be some kind of funeral for Charlie to be at when Edward calls, hence the misunderstanding about Bella's death and Bella and Edward's eventual reunion in Italy. SM sure is diabolical, isn't she? :D
And as far as people saying Seth and Leah's werewolf-ness led to Harry's heart attack, that's not true at all. Seth and Leah didn't become werewolves until Eclipse, remember? In New Moon the only werewolves are Sam, Paul, Jared, Embry, and Jacob. Seth and Leah didn't change until AFTER Harry was already dead.

Sorry to disagree, Edward_Addict, but Stephenie unequivocally stated in her Q&A that Leah and Seth's transformation precipitated Harry's heart attack. We don't learn about Leah and Seth becoming werewolves until Eclipse, but it actually happened in New Moon, which is why Jacob was cagey with Bella about news in the pack when she skipped school to spend the day in La Push. (I think that was the time; don't have time to search right now.)
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A

Postby Edward_Addict » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks for answering my questions :) but I think you guys might be misunderstanding what I meant with #1...
I understand why Victoria goes after Bella, but I don't understand why during the series Bella refers to Edward as the one who killed James, when Edward told her in the hospital at the end of Twilight that Emmett and Jasper are the ones who "took care of him." Anytime James is brought up later, there is never any reference (even in Bella's thoughts) that Emmett and Jasper are the ones who killed James, NOT Edward. I just found that a little inconsistent.
Image Image
User avatar
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!
 
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 am
Location: Southern California

PreviousNext

Return to The Cullen Basement

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron