A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tinatulip22
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by Tinatulip22 »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

Well, yes, because it was titled The End. I didn't know when exactly it hit me, but it was like a blanket of anxiety overwhelming me (kinda how I think Bella felt) while I read.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Yes, I was married before when I was rather young and I felt like Bella did - that he was my life, my everything. He was my world. Then he left me (also with a very Edward type of non-directness at first and then very brutally) and I felt the same as Bella, like I had to hold my body together, hold my heart inside my chest or everything would fall apart. It makes you very strong when you go through that and survive. I didn't have a Jacob and my Edward didn't come back (this is real life), but I think people talk about how she was so dependent on Edward, but the love a what you believe is true love is devastating regardless of any measure of dependency. I'm very happy and am a stronger woman now for what I went through!

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

At first I didn't want to believe him, but as I kept reading I was unsure if he was going to come back and it hurt. I was so sad while I read on the train home to work. I had to stop reading so I wouldn't cry on the train!

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

Nothing really, I think I was feeling Bella's numbness at that point too

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages[/color]

I was like, "Edward's not coming back?" What the?! Noooooo!!!!
furrynfun
Settled in Forks

Post by furrynfun »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I knew he was going to leave as soon as Bella left the Cullen's house and was so distant and quiet

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I knew he was leaving because he cares and I knew he couldn't stay away for long

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

I was annoyed because he was bringing everything back and I remembered him form Twilight and didnt like him them and I still don't

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages

I cryed when Edward left and I though I had stopped but then I saw the monthes pages and i was crying so hard that there are tear drop marks on those pages now :cry:
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

It kind of took my by suprise. I didnt think that he would just leave her like that.

Yes. Once. It was very hard for me to handle. A year and 8 months with someone..and for them to just leave you. Its very difficult to handle. It was hard for me to see him at school. But now its not so hard.

I did believe him. He sounded like he ment what he was saying to her.

I was happy that he was helping out to find her.

I was thinking, wow there must not be much to read. Bella was probably having a hard time.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
Sameerah
Settled in Forks

Post by Sameerah »

1.Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I know that there is something coming, but I didn’t expect it to be that worse. Who would’ve thought of Edward leaving Bella? He loves her and he told her that he’ll stay with her if that is what’s good for her. But after Bella’s birthday, Edward feared that Bella would get hurt because of what he is/what they are. He believed that Bella would be safer without him or the Cullens around.

Yes. It hurts a lot trying to convince the other person that everything is worth it.

At first I thought that he would still change his mind, but I was surprised he didn’t. I almost cried when he left her in the woods. There’s going to be another way, what was Edward thinking that time??? Leaving Bella there and telling her that she’s better off without him, he broke her heart into pieces. I thought that he would come back for her when she got lost in the woods, crying, but he didn’t. So I told myself, damn! He’s really serious.

My first reaction was “who the hell is Sam Uley?”

It broked my heart turning the pages. There’s no sign of Edward. He’s gone. How did he managed to go through all the months without her??? It must’ve hurt a lot trying to hold himself to see her. And Bella, how could she move on? She loved him so much and she was very attached to him. She must have a rollercoaster of emotions waiting for him, looking for a sign, longing that he’d still be back for her, for love, for life…
LifeOnHold
Settled in Forks

Post by LifeOnHold »

1.Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I was pretty sure it was about the happen the chapter title and the fact that Edward was being really distant with Bella made me realize what was going to happen.

Yes Definitely. It tends to make things more painful at the end if your trying harder to make things work.

I could see where Edward was coming from but I thought he was kinda overreacting to what happened and he would realize he was making a mistake and come back to her.

I didn't really think anything of it.

It was upsetting, I was surprised he was able to stay away from her as long as he did, but I was kinda wondering if he was secretly checking up on her to make sure she was safe.
-Jes
"You Held out your hand, and I took it without making sense of what I was doing. For the tome in almost a century I felt hope." - Eclipse
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

I knew the relationship between Bella & Edward was going to be awkward, I assumed he would continue to distance himself then quickly it would go back to the way it was before. Who would've thought he would do the worst possible thing that he could do to her. :(

Yes, it's very difficult trying to hold on to something that and trying to convince the other person......

I didn't buy his speech, I knew he was lying. It did upset me how easily Bella bought his story.
I thought she would cry and he'd come running back.

He was creepy !
I was like, who the hell is this guy.

It was quite depressing.
I felt Bella's pain, I had never been so furious with Edward before. :evil:
Spunk&StewartLover<3
Settled in Forks

Post by Spunk&StewartLover<3 »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? It took me off by surprise. I mean the chapter title i guess told something. Its called " the end". But i was totally caught off gruard.

I have never been in that kinda relationship before.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I was hoping for him to run back to her. A part of be did believe that he didnt want her. His speech was very real. But there was a part of me that knew he loved her and really didnt want to leave her. When he left the forest i cried my eyes out, i felt like i was losing edward too. It was so real for me.
4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence - I didnt really care. I was too busy worrying about what was going on with bella.
5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages - That personally was hard for me. I cried. I couldnt belileve he was gone. What bella went though was basically hell. Now when you think about it Bella & Edward went though hell just to be together....its crazzy!!
Image Image Image

Worlds Cutest " Someday" Couple!
xxabbsxx
Settled in Forks

Post by xxabbsxx »

Most definately, I knew Edward was having internal issues with himself. I knew that was the reason he was ignoring (for lack of a better word) Bella. I knew something really bad was going to happen in this chapter because it was entitled "The End", so definately something was going to happen to Edward.

Yes, I love every single relationship (that's good) that I've had with people...I don't want to lose a friend, or someone more than that.

I wasn't expecting him to run back at all, Edward was one that always held firmly to his decisions, especially ones that concerned Bella's safety. I didn't not believe him one bit when he said he didn't want Bella anymore...the whole time I wanted to scream at Bella for being so stupid!

I was still to overwhelmed by Edward's leaving that I didn't think much over it. He was just a man that took Bella out of the forest.

At October, my mouth opened in a little O of horror, and I turned to November, the December, and at that point my stomach fell to my butt...my eyes started watering and I'm thinking "OH MY GOD this is HORRIBLE!" I thought for sure after October the story would start up again, but the months kept coming!
Katie_Patie
Settled in Forks

Post by Katie_Patie »

i didnt notice anything at the start. i though he was just being a bit weird because it was her birthday and all.but then he didnt stop.and suddenly it took me by complete surprise i just sat there staring at the page thinking "how could he do that to her??"
not really. i do remember having to hold myself together so that i wouldnt fall to pieces over a guy.it was horrible and i really knew how she was feeling.

i thought that he must be leaving to keep her safe, from jasper or something but when he basically said he didnt love her anymore it was horrible. i didnt expect him to come back. but i thought he might want to but he wouldnt.

i didnt think anything of it.i think i was feeling too much like bella to really notice it
it was sad. like she had just given up on life, but was made to keep on living a nightmare. (her nightmare being no edward/cullens) it depicted how much of her life she was really involved with or thinking about.
Stupid Shiny volvo owner

"And the lion fell in love with the lamb"
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Questions prepared by Cocoa

1) Yes. After Carlisle stitched Bella up and Edward came in to take her home. He was withdrawn and would not speak. His actions throughout the week really set my heart to ache.

2)Absolutely. It's heart wrenching to watch something die.

3) I felt that he was struggling very hard to hold it together. What I did not realize is that he was actually stunned at her reaction. I thought "Edward, you were telling her you did not want her, what did you expect her to do?"

4) I knew he had to have been the 'snuffling' sound(werewolf form) that Bella heard. That's all.

5) Empty, silent - pure nothingness. Her statement before chapter 4 began was a perfect analogy to life - it does not stop for anyone.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict