Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
b2008m
Settled in Forks

Re: Breaking Dawn-I didn't like it

Post by b2008m »

Omg.... Im so crushed.

I was SO exceited for Breaking Dawn to come out. Not as excited when The Deathly Hallows came out, but it was close...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking these things. Because I felt like this couldnt be the book I was waiting for. I thought I was reading one VERY LONG fanfic. And I'm being dead serious. The material she used (and dont get me wrong I LOVE SM) was that of a fanfic I had read the week before. With the same exact Bellla getting preg. blah blah blah. I was really upset about that. And I agree with whoever said that the Jacob imprinting on Bella's and Edward's DAUGHTER was just plain Creepy... =/

I wanted SO much to love the ending of this book/Series the way I did with Deathly Hallows. I now know how those poor people who DIDN'T like the ending of that book felt... But I thought the ending of DH just FIT with that series. Breaking Dawn was like a whole different story line. And I know that its kinda supposed to be that way but I mean come on, Something has to be similar right?

I still love the series, I just dont like the last book... And i will agree there was a few times I had to laugh at the book, it sometimes was pretty funny, but it just wasn't up to parr with the rest.
cullen grl 17
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cullen grl 17 »

i soo agree!!! it is a lil creepy how jake is a son in law to bella. im glad that he isnt out of her life and that he imprinted. [/color]
***But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,
thou shalt not eat of it;
for in the day that thou eatest thereof
thou shalt surely die***
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

It was the storyline that bothered me. Bella having a baby was too confusing, since it was known to people before this that vampires couldn't have children. Or at least before this, it should have been a known fact that a vampire was able to get a human girl pregnant. So more insight on that confusing area of the book would have been nice.

I must say, Jacob isn't my favorite character. Bella would have never liked him if Edward wasn't there. She wouldn't just go off to marry Jacob, that is the exact life that Bella's mother ran away from, and what Bella didn't want. So having jacob in the book, and as an important person, bothered me. His point of view was interesting, but it was hard to switch back to Bella, since it was still on the same subject, the baby. Also, having Jacobimprint on a small child, was just weird. He only imprinted on her, this is just my opinion, because he couln't fufill his feelings for Bella, so he covered by imprinting on her daughter, close enough to Bella.

Then, in the end, when the Volturi came, they came because they thought it was an immortal child. Everyone made a big ordeal just because the wives were coming, and they never go anywhere, even whn the immortal children were being hunted. So why would this one make a difference? Just because it was the Cullens? The Cullen's may not have been on the best "friendship" level with them, but one thought of an immortal child shouldn't make a difference. Then when they came, there was no fight, no action. That is what upset me the most. I would have liked something dramatic to happen, like someone important, really important, die. That would be a story. I do have a soft spot for the Volturi group and gaurd, so it did upset me that they got NO action, especially with Bella's sheild.

Bella's characteralso bothers me. She never changes, even as she ages. Always the same views. But then when the is turned, she is not acting like a normal newborn. That is weird, I knew she was "special", but some normal newborn behavior would have been nice.

Those were just my opinions on the book. I did like some parts though, those are the ones that I just had big opnions on.
High Altitude
Settled in Forks

Post by High Altitude »

Ok, Breaking Dawn was not what I expected.
When I reached the pregnancy part, I started to laugh because I just couldn't believe it. Seriously.
The plot was like every other fanfiction I have read.
This sounds really bad, but I wanted someone to die! I wanted something major, something big, something sad...not all this perfect stuff that kept happening. I wanted tragedy, I wanted it to be Bella's fault...angst...death...but there was none. Zilch.
I wanted Bella to have to give up her family, attack some humans, have trouble with the newborn strength, get a breakdown over Jake, and realize how Edward isn't perfect, and cry over her inablity to have children. The happy ending thing reminded me of Disney. Which is annoying.
What was really bad for me was the loss of Jacob's character. The reason I fell in love with the werewolf was his never-give-up attitude, the way he never won, and his underlying pain. I loved his determination and strength. I loved how he was the Paris in Romeo and Juliet.
But in Breaking Dawn that all vanished. He became all happy with Renesmee (by the way, it will be seriously scarring for the kid to find out her mother and her boyfriend were in loved and made out) and Jake wasn't Jake.
I could keep on going, but I'll shut up. My parting note- why does Bella have to be so perfect???
~xStRaWbErRyx~
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ~xStRaWbErRyx~ »

I wrote a review on the old lex that was quite long, so I'll do a shorter one here.

I didn't really like the book. Some of the stuff was a little creepy and disturbing, and it just didn't seem like a twilight book for some reason.
Nessie annoyed me, it irritated me that she wouldn't just speak, instead touching everyone all the time. People find it cute, but I just found it annoying, lol
I felt like there were way too many new characters introduced in the last third and i couldn't keep up :?
There were some plot holes.....
The imprinting thing was just wrong and icky, but I'm not gonna go into it....

I'll still love the other 3, but breaking dawn? no
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

I read it. And disliked it. Too many things made me want to headdesk into the book. Like Nessie.

I could have accepted the pregnancy despite the "Wait. Backtrack. I thought it was impossible?" thing as I know that, as a writer, you're not fully in control of the story. Rather, it's the other way around. And sometimes you need to rescind from past statements because of the unpredicted, but necessary twist the plot has taken. Rowling did it with Harry Potter. Joss Whedon does it all the time with everything in his universe. It's why some people don't accept as canon anything outside the book/movie/show/etc. While I would have had difficulty with it, I may have been able to accept a normal pregnancy provided that the pregnancy was really necessary to the story-line. In a way, it was, but in another it just seemed like a convenient way to allow Bella to keep Jacob and have Jacob be happy. And this right after an incredible Leah/Jacob scene where I would have gladly started shipping them. I was so delighted with Jacob's speech against imprinting, and he imprints.

Then, regarding Volturi, I'm still wondering why Aro didn't use the fact that they had admitted to Charlie that there was something odd about the Cullens against them. Sure, he didn't know they were vampires, but he knew they weren't normal, could guess they were even supernatural considering Jacob fursploded in front of him. What if he tried to uncover the truth? Or accidentally told another? I doubt the Volturi would allow even such a threat to their secret, pathetic though it may seem.

The Volturi as a whole didn't act like what we'd been told before. Even with Bella's shield, they should have been able to fight. Edward's explanation/insult at the end about them being cowards didn't really fit. Alice was afraid during New Moon, explained that some of the Volturi had abilities that made what she could do look like a parlor trick. I doubt that was mere exaggeration. Sure, Bella made them re-think fighting, but there's no reason why they would keep from fighting because they were afraid. Especially after they saw that her shield was ineffective against physical attack. Just have Caius aim the fire-thingy at them. He'd be happy.

Speaking of shields, Renata was a disappointment. I just can't buy the image of a PERSONAL BODYGUARD whimpering. Aren't they supposed to be kinda like the Secret Service? Gung-ho, protect-the-president-at-all-costs!, all GRR and whatnot?

I wanted to shoot the wives. There was really no point to them, they're never even named in the text itself. We needed an index for that. Firefly had said that they sounded more like an accessory than actual wives and I have to agree.

Moving on to technicality, the book was surprisingly badly written. Style was lacking; it took me a long time to try to find Stephenie in the writing. The characters themselves were odd. It seemed like we skipped from Twilight to Breaking Dawn. New Moon? Wha-? Eclipse? There was an eclipse? Where? So many things weren't answered or left ambiguous and contradictory.

Then, there is the matter of several themes that are truly disturbing, foremost a misogynistic sense. Female wolves are apparently menopausal; male wolves can continue to procreate. Female half-vampire children cannot turn others into vampires; the males can. It's women that are sacrificed in the Amazon by Nahuel's father and the female members of the Volturi coven apparently have no power. Even the protagonist, Bella, is frequently swayed and manipulated by others, namely Edward and Jacob. I know Stephenie has stated on numerous occasions that she is not anti-female, but anti-human. However, it seems like the females are the ones who get the short end of the stick. Despite what she says, it's not what is shown in the novels, a flaw that is obvious in various other occasions.

Breaking Dawn was a sad way to end. Every flaw present in the former books was extrapolated and several new flaws arose. It was hard to take seriously and was, in every sense of the word, a disappointment.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
melting into you
Learning to Love Green

Post by melting into you »

Thank you, thank you for having this topic. I feel like I need to mourn, to grieve. I'm trying so hard not to feel the entire saga is now ruined for me. But at the moment it is. I'm not even excited about the movie right now. Is that okay to say? Maybe in time I'll get over the disappointment. Right now I just feel so let down. 3 golden eggs we had, I have never been so affected by 3 beautifully written books in my entire life and I've read the classics. Then Breaking Dawn came and it should have taken me to the next and final level, instead it left me angry, annoyed and wondering where the heck Stephenie was when this was written.

When Breaking Dawn arrived I actually filled up with tears. I hugged it and squealed with delight. Finally. I petted it. Yes I was obsessed.

The problem I had with the book was she never had any depth really. I was left with such emotion from Eclipse. Jacob's heart broken, a piece of her heart falling off after their kiss. A triangle of love so beautifully entwined I counted the days to get our closure. It never came the way I expected it to. I'm still in shock over Breaking Dawn.

I want a do over.

Breaking Dawn just fell flat. I kept saying over and over again where did Stephenie Meyers go? This wasn't her writing at all.

This is just my own opinion, but I started to get an uneasy feeling when she was out promoting The Host. Her comments that it's hard to edit Breaking Dawn. Her head was with the characters of The Host. The poor girl I think was so pushed to finish, to get it out, to get The Host out, to book tour, to visit the set of the movie we lost out. If she would have held off on The Host, took her time with this I think it would have been her writing. There were even typos in the editing.

Bella never wanted kids yet she seemed to be eh, okay so I'll have a kid. Then I never got the sense of her being a mother. Everyone else in the book was holding, caring for Nessa. And how I missed everyone. I just missed the depth of conversations and emotional love from the other books that swept me away. I wanted my heart strings pulled. They weren't. Dialogue was missing a lot in this book, too much description ruined it for me. I missed the great snappy conversations that made me laugh out loud. I missed the deep talks Edward and Bella would have. It ended once she had Nessa.

I knew Alice didn't just leave so that was VERY lame. Did Stephenie really believe as fans we'd think Alice and Jasper would bail on the Cullens? That annoyed me and it made me miss them. They should also have been in the almost battle, especially Jasper. He would not have stayed away according to Eclipse.

And speaking of the battle. It felt to me that it went on forever, and forever until I was ready to throw the book against the wall. I didn't want to do that. This was Stephenie's writing, why was I feeling this way? It depressed me. Then we get to the end and it all comes down to "oh yeah okay the baby is half human, it's all good. Have a nice day." OMG, just OMG. And not in a good OMG way.

I kept thinking Breaking Dawn would be equal if not even above the rest. This is going to mean something to us. Nothing really flowed from the other 3 books to continue into BD. I felt like she had 3 golden eggs and this one laid a bad one, a rotten one.

All the way through I missed Edward, Alice, Jasper, even Jacob. No one seemed to be the same characters. I even missed Bella cause this person wasn't her.

And really how lame was it that Charlie is told in such a fluff way that he's left with don't ask, don't tell. A father??? A cop???

The imprinting was kind of cool. I didn't see that coming, but I felt that there was no feel for Bella and Edward as parents. Ness was passed around and awed at. We got a happy ending, but I don't feel I got closure so I will let it end with Eclipse and make my own ending.

Still love you Stephenie. You are a brilliant writer. I will never forget the 3 books and I loved the Host. I just feel you really let us down with BD and I feel so bad because I know as a new writer you got pushed by your publishers on so many levels and BD got lost in the wind. I'm glad you are taking time off to write Midnight Sun. Maybe I'll get that old feeling back again. I hope so. For now it's gone.

I have missed you so much Lexicon and my friends on here. Welcome back and thanks so much for this forum so those of us grieving for what could have been can come on here and vent.
sun
Settled in Forks

Post by sun »

Should I continue reading? I just finished Twilight and some parts of it I liked and some I didn't
I wrote about it in my blog, please check it out it you're interested and let me know if you felt the same.
Let me know also if you think I should continue reading it. Thank you! Here's the link.
http://myfriendsunjun.blogspot.com/2008 ... movie.html
melting into you
Learning to Love Green

Post by melting into you »

I read your blog. All I can tell you from my own experience is to continue on so you can understand the journey it takes you through to Breaking Dawn. In my opinion it should have stopped at Eclipse, which was my favorite besides Twilight. New Moon at times can be a difficult read for story reasons I won't give away to you, but what a ride the 3 books were for me. I'd go for it. If you can hold on through New Moon and into Eclipse I think you'll be swept away.

With that said, I was forever telling anyone who would listen to read the saga. A friend was about to read Twilight until I told him I hated Breaking Dawn. He was a huge Harry Potter fan and said he didn't want to waste his time if the ending wasn't worth it, he was too busy. I feel bad he won't experience 3 great books, but I also felt I did him justice in sparing him the frustration and disappointment I had with Breaking Dawn. So it's a toss up. I don't know how much you put into series reading and if the last book is a let down that you can just take it in stride. Maybe if I were warned ahead of time I'd feel differently about BD, but so many months without the end book, it finally arriving and seeing it become a fan fic or a pod book was too much for me. I'd just hate to see you miss out on 3 wonderful books though so just go in knowing it's a nice ride and a flat finish. :) Did I totally confuse you? Now that I wrote all that out, I'm not sure in this thread we are supposed to have any discussion except our one opinion so if I messed up I certainly understand if this post is taken down. You can PM me if you like.
Aubrey Carlson
Settled in Forks

Post by Aubrey Carlson »

Since I'm posting here, many of you can guess that i didn't like Breaking Dawn.
It was wrong on so many levels, and I’m only going to mention only few of them. I wasn't surprised by pregnancy and whole imprinting thing, because I read several of summaries before I got it (I didn’t think those things were going to be bad as they were. I guess I set my hopes too high). Though I have to admit it still did bug me, but not as much as first several chapters after Bella’s change. Those chapters were killers, they barely held my attention. Half of time I spent laughing or just staring at words written out. I couldn’t believe that Stephenie actually wrote that. With all due respect, it did kinda reminded me of all those bad fanfictions I read.
Bella was and still is the most annoying-ly perfect character ever created (a.k.a Mary Sue) . And her power simply made me puke.
I was disappointed (no I was irritated as hell, and wanted to throw book across the room) by the end, since the Volturi were my favorite and I hope they’d win. And they didn’t.
Epilogue was too cheesy for my taste. I’d more like if Bella, Edward, Jacob or Renesme died. Too happy and unbelievable.

And that were my two cents. Over and out
Is this Clarice? Oh, hello Clarice.... I've been in state of hibernation for too long, I need some action, Clarice...