Most Effective Horror Movies

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Most Effective Horror Movies

Post by Pel »

Just list your favorites, and your reasons why you chose these/this film(s).

Suspiria- Insane score, which made every moment twenty times more effective.
Don't Look Now-Spectacular ending, throughout the movie it'll have a few slow moments, but it's all worth it for the ending. Not to mention, Donald Sutherland!
Repulsion- The most subtle horror movie. The last scene is haunting.
Sarah3000
Settled in Forks

Re: Most Effective Horror Movies

Post by Sarah3000 »

Talking of awesome final scenes - Halloween. Chilling.
Crooked_Rose
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Crooked_Rose »

Signs....Just eak, don't. "It's behind!" Still freaks me out. What I think is the most scariest part of this show is how you never actually see the aliens at first...just glimpses. Ugh..the birthday party.

The Sixth Sense....Classic scary. Made me and my friend scream in the theater. GREAT Film with lots of scary parts, and an excellent ending.

Back to the Sun. Back to the shore. Back to what I was before.

*Under Construction*
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

Crooked_Rose wrote:Signs....Just eak, don't. "It's behind!" Still freaks me out. What I think is the most scariest part of this show is how you never actually see the aliens at first...just glimpses. Ugh..the birthday party.

right!? freaking couldn't sleep for ;like 3 weeks haha. That whole aspect was awesome yet so haunting. That's what really made it scary- the fact that you only got glimpses of them throughout the movie.

Although this film wasn't the BEST horror film i've ever seen, i have to give it props- it had me going the whole movie...THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Sure, it's not the best one but i thought it was awesome considering it didn't have any soundtrack; and everyone knows the soundtrack to a horror movie is like 75% of the horror aspect...

another one that made me crap frisbees was SAW. No, not the 5 billion other SAW movies, but the first one- it was great. The suspense, the fear, the paranoia- it was all there. Not to mention THE AMAZING TWIST at the end! i swear i was screaming at the top of my lungs clinging onto my best friend on that part haha. Oh and the second one had an amazing twist at the end as well- genius. After the second one though it just went downhill; i can't stand how many of those movies they're making, they should've just left it at 2.
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by museicalking »

Horror 101- the saw movies are awesome.
8 movies to die for Horrorfest is insane. With popcorn and late night to set a mood- watch borderland, crazy eights and gravedancers.
japanese horror is good- not the american versions. they scare the hell out of you. try any movie, dark waters, shutter, the grudge, the ring- you think they suck? try the japenese version. watch and fear.
speak spanish? watch the orphanage by the guillermo del toro.
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3
pixiealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by pixiealice »

So I have seen all the Friday the 13th's, Nightmare on Elm Street (which wigged me out!) but as a young child I saw the original 'When a Stranger Calls'. I really think I had to change my pants. I watched the new version that came out in the last year or 2, scared me too. 'Scream' honestly scared me. 'Saw' was just gross. 'Candyman' spooked me though, cause we used to do Candyman and Bloody Mary at sleepovers when we were kids.
BLaST
Settled in Forks

Post by BLaST »

A Spanish movie called "The Orphanage". Definitely. It gets you so scared of being scared that even a kid jumping infront of you shouting "boo" could have you running down the street screaming afterwards.

^^
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

I haven't only seen peices of the movie "it", but I still hate clowns to this day!

Also, the sixth sense was a little chilling. For some reason though, I liked it.

Oh, and I know "The Village" is a really cheesy movie, in my opinion, but some parts freeked me out, to a point were I would scream.
Sarah3000
Settled in Forks

Post by Sarah3000 »

pixiealice wrote:So I have seen all the Friday the 13th's, Nightmare on Elm Street (which wigged me out!) but as a young child I saw the original 'When a Stranger Calls'. I really think I had to change my pants. I watched the new version that came out in the last year or 2, scared me too. 'Scream' honestly scared me. 'Saw' was just gross. 'Candyman' spooked me though, cause we used to do Candyman and Bloody Mary at sleepovers when we were kids.

Yes! We used to do the old Candyman routine at sleepovers, too. It made the film seem a lot scarier than it actually was.

I've got massive love for Nightmare on Elm Street as well. Freddy Krueger is one of the scariest horror movie characters ever. How can you run away from someone who hunts you in your dreams?! :shock:
lollikezomg
Settled in Forks

Post by lollikezomg »

The Sixth Sense: Just in the creepy sort of way. And the ending? :o
Signs freaked me out the first time I saw it.
I agree that Japanese horror movies tend to be seriously scary, South Korean ones are also quite good.
BLaST wrote:A Spanish movie called "The Orphanage". Definitely. It gets you so scared of being scared that even a kid jumping infront of you shouting "boo" could have you running down the street screaming afterwards.

^^
I loved the Orphanage, I went to see it in the cinema and was cowering in my seat. Didn't really help that my friend and I were the only ones watching it in the theatre.

'The Shining' also scared me but I haven't watched it in a while. Saw 1 was amazing but I didn't think much of the others.