General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

Post by AgentCross »

Yeah, it also upset me that Jacob's mind was in Renesmees more then Edwards. I understand that it's because Edward was by Bella's side consumed with grief and anxiety, not knowing if what he did worked to save her.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
NolitaFairytale
Wandering Through Town

Post by NolitaFairytale »

Hmmm...I while I love the family as a whole, I wasn't so sure about Edward's position in the family. Am I the only one who thought Edward was a bit of a Dud once Bella became pregnant? (NOTE: I DO <3 EDWARD. PLEASE DON'T BITE MY HEAD OFF!) I mean, throughout the book, he seemed to be the coat hanger, and not particularly present in the books. As a father, he's not bad, but he doesn't seem overly enthusiastic. I think he still sees Renesmee as the being who put Bella through all that pain. Maybe its the fact that, being frozen at seventeen, he never matured to the point of the "responsible father figure." He is still a great father, but he's not nearly as involved as Jacob.

Proud member of the I <3 Gustavo and his Flowing Portuguese Association.
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AgentCross »

NolitaFairytale wrote:Hmmm...I while I love the family as a whole, I wasn't so sure about Edward's position in the family. Am I the only one who thought Edward was a bit of a Dud once Bella became pregnant? (NOTE: I DO <3 EDWARD. PLEASE DON'T BITE MY HEAD OFF!) I mean, throughout the book, he seemed to be the coat hanger, and not particularly present in the books. As a father, he's not bad, but he doesn't seem overly enthusiastic. I think he still sees Renesmee as the being who put Bella through all that pain. Maybe its the fact that, being frozen at seventeen, he never matured to the point of the "responsible father figure." He is still a great father, but he's not nearly as involved as Jacob.
To be fair... that's only because Jacob is imprinted. If not for that he was gonna kill Renesmee.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

What I read convinced me that Edward adored Nessie. I think highlighting the jacob/nessie dynamic was a way to emphasize that yes jacob had imprinted on her and that it was a monumental event in both their lives. It's funny because I read the comments of alot of B/E shippers who really didn't like the bond between edward and bella being interfered with by nessie.
wishingiwasbella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by wishingiwasbella »

When I first read that she was pregnant I was in shock. I was like why would she do this? Lol. But as I read on it was even more that way because of the way that Bella was acting towards "it" and basically killing her. But after her birth I totally fell in love with the family, I do agree that there could have been more edward/nessie time but it wasn't really about edward/nessie it was about Bella's love for her family, and then jacob getting his happy ending as well. Nessie in my eyes was never more important than Edward to Bella, yes her sheild got stronger when Nessie was in trouble but then again it also got stronger when it was her edward and nessie. I don't think they ever just test it with bella and edward but I could be wrong. I wish there was more interaction with her and the WHOLE family, I mean you only ever see her with Roaslie, you never see her with any other part of the family at all or any other vampire for that matter until the amazon's come into the picture but that is a different subject I guess.
eternitys_charm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by eternitys_charm »

The family itself was kinda of a jumbled mess in the book for most of the time.
Bella: It's kinda hard for me picturing her as a mom and yes she's a good mom but I felt like she really was neglecting Edward a bit and that kind of upset me.
Edward: We haven't really seen much about him in Bella's POV so we're not entirely sure whether he was a great father. Personally I think he was fabulous, especially when he first hears her thoughts, i thought it was incredibly cute and you can tell he was ecstatic to be a father. Though I do agree with what most of you are saying, that even though you can tell he loves Renesmee unconditionally, he doesn't like the fact that Renesmee nearly killed Bella.

and I have to squeeze jacob in the equation because many are saying about Jacob being in Renesmee's thoughts more than her own father, I think it's only because he's imprinted on her and has been with her like 24/7. And Jacob only now protects Renesmee because of the reason of the imprinting, if not he would have killed her, along with Edward, the second she got out of Bella's belly.

with that said, I love the family and I do think Edward's a great father.
Banner and avie made by me for my story.
Please Read it: http://twilightarchives.com/viewstory.p ... 40&index=1
LinkinParkMcCullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by LinkinParkMcCullen »

We also have to remember that it was Edward in the begining of BD who said he wished he and Bella were capable of having kids. I see Jacob more as an uncle maybe a brother to Nessie (thats how the whole imprinting thing is suppose to work anyways). We just don't see a lot of Edwards parenting becasue like what most of you said its in Bella's POV and she's focused on Nessie's life and communicating with Charlie and the Voulteri and Edwards looks (who can blame her?) We just don't see a lot of Edward's fatherly side (which is kind of a bummer). :|
'
ImageImage
becca92
Settled in Forks

Post by becca92 »

Did Nessie call Edward 'Dad'? I remember reading it i just can't remember where?
AliceLauren
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by AliceLauren »

I never expected Bella to want the baby so badly. I also never saw Edward's reaction coming, well it made sense that he wanted it out before the baby could hurt Bella, but it was almost liked he loved Bella more than Nessie.

But it was so cute whenever Renesmee called Edward "daddy" or Bella "mommy". I loved that... and yes, she did call him "dad".
Bkwrm
Wandering Through Town

Post by Bkwrm »

What bothers me is that they won't have a chance to be a family - not with Jake butting in all the time and presuming he has rights he doesn't have.

They need to be left alone; to be a family as long as possible.

I can understand Bella's feelings; it's *Edward's* child. I remember "Busman's Honeymoon" where Harriet admitted she didn't have much of a maternal instinct but that she could see herself having *Peter's* children.