A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by TwiguyEC »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I assumed he was distancing himself from the temptation, Bella, in order to think more clearly. I didn't actually know where he went, home seemed a little too obvious, but I didn't think of Denali.
2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
Well, she is sort of the parent and she is already grown up, as Renee puts it she get more mild aged with each birthday.
3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I didn't think it was a show. Everyone else thinks the Cullens are quiet, mysterious, reserved. I thought he was just trying to make amends for his rude behavior when they first met.
4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
I thought it had something to do with the change of his mood, as demonstrated by his reactions to Bella.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I just thought he was skipping class to avoid Bella, but I figured he'd HAVE to come back at some point.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
It tells us that Bella had to grow up fast and that she could take care of herself (despite the clumsiness...). Also, it shows that she had a HUGE capacity to care for others.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I thought he was trying to make amends, and I knew there had to be more to it than that when he started getting a little nosy with the questions he was asking.

I actually thought it might have something to do with him being 'thirsty' but I didn't really have any idea how the eyes would correspond.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
~xStRaWbErRyx~
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ~xStRaWbErRyx~ »

I didn't really think about it that much, I thought he was just off school

i think it showed that bella was more grown up than other teens, and had to look after her parents

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?#
I thought he was just trying to be friendly...

I thought it had something to do with what he was, and why he's so strange
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

I didn't have any idea where Edward had gone off to, but I was hoping that he'd come back. I thought he had vanished because he couldn't stand to be around Bella for some reason, although I couldn't figure out his reasoning exactly.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual? Her parents were probably very young when they had her, and thus they were somewhat immature while she was growing up, especially Renee. Bella seemed to have taken on an adult role early in life, caring for Renee and her emotional wellbeing, and thus she has been forced to grow up and be more mature from an earlier age. Bella cooks for Charlie, and thus that tells me that she has been used to doing that at home on a regular basis. Bella is mature for her age, although she happens to be naive in a lot of ways too.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her? I was perplexed at his sudden change in demeanor toward Bella. I didn't really get the feeling that he was necessarily putting on a show, just that he was maybe being a little overly animated in his niceness, for whatever reason. Edwards reaction toward Bella after he returned, just muddied the waters for me even more in trying to figure out why he reacted the way he did in the first place.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color? This sounds so stupid, but I thought maybe he wasn't a vampire anymore. I can't really explain it, but I guess I wondered if something happened that he had "changed" or something. I was way off base on that one.
beautifulworld
Settled in Forks

Post by beautifulworld »

I really did think that Bella had somehow offended him and he had left. I knew he hadn't left for good, because you can't have 4 books based partially on a character that left in the first 50 pages. I thought he had just went on a trip to get away or something.

I think one of the main things we learn is how strong Bella is. In a way, she had to take care of herself. Her parents tried really hard, but they both had their own issues to deal with, and Bella seemed strong enough to take care of things on her own. It also tells us how she's had to grow up, and how she's older than her age. This is obvious based on how she moved away from home, and how she takes care of both Renee and Charlie.

I didn't think that he was putting on a show at all. It more seemed like he felt terrible for being so rude on her first day. He was so polite though, and so part of me felt that he was trying especially hard to not be rude to her again. It made me more confused about why he had been so mean to her on the first day. It would be one thing if he just kept acting like he hated her, but instead he acted totally different, and it just confused me.

I think what first came to mind was that maybe his eyes were attached to his mood. Like, maybe he had been having a bad day on her first day, which is why his eyes were black and he was so rude, but then by this day, he was in a much better mood. By this point, I really wasn't sure what was going on, and I just wanted to learn his secret.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Personally, I just thought he skipped. A lot of people do, so it isn't a surprise. Or he could have been sick.

2. Her parents do rely on her, and she is pretty capable of taking care of herself.

3. I think he was just trying to be friendly to the new kid in town.

4. Contacts? I didn't put much thought into it. Plus, people's eye color can vary depended on what they are wearing and such.
FrostyJasper
Wandering Through Town

Post by FrostyJasper »

I just thought he was at home.

She's very independent and very adult-like for her age.

I was confused but happy that he was talking to her!

I didn't know what to think. I just figured contacts.
ImageImage
Krystal
Lured By the Scent

Post by Krystal »

I had no clue were he would have went. I was really confused about the whole thing.
At first I thought he had vanished because he didn't really like Bella, but then I figured it had to be more than that. I thought why would someone leave because of an ordinary girl?

This tells us that she is very responsible. She had to sort of mother her mom, and she has to start cooking for Charlie, so she has to take on alot of responsibility.

When Edward returned and he was polite to her, I was thinking what is going on here. One day he is rude and the next he is so nice.
I didn't think he was putting on a show. I finally thought that he was really going to be nice to Bella and had gotten over the problem he had with her.

4. What was your first explaination for the change in Edward's eye color?
Well I did have a friend whose eye colour always seemed to change and I just thought it was because of the temperature. So that is what I thought was happening to Edward. Also he seemed in a lighter mood, so that is why they were gold, and they were black because he wasn't in a good mood.
by myhopesaresohigh @ vesperarium
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I am learning that I am really good at accepting wht I am told.

I didn't give much thought to where Edward had gone. I didn't care about Edward yet.

I agree with everyone that it made Bella quite mature and independent.

I didn't think he was putting on a show. I thought he was trying to be nice after not being so nice.

Funny thing is, I wondered why Bella noticed Edward's eyes from a distance. I also wondered why no one else notices the change in eye color. I also wondered why Bella was arguing with him about the eyes. How many people notice those things when everything is brand new?
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
SydlovesTwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by SydlovesTwilight »

I thought that maybe he was just sick at first and that somehow his sickness had to do with Bella. Then I started thinking that he was avoiding her on purpose as well.

She is mature for her age and this is the chapter where we all realize it. Yes, living with charlie for her mom's sake was mature, but this is where really see her all grown-up before she is of age.

I was stunned. I said "Just like that?" No, I never thought he was putting on a show. it seemed to sincere. I was confused all around as to what had happened and started to think it wasn't Bella's fault.

He was sick before somehow and now he was feeling better. I had no details, but that was all I had to go on for the time being.