1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
Nah. Vampires are frozen in time. He was frozen as a 17 year old. I would have been ok with it if I were Bella.
2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
He doesn't want to think about her going through the painful process or for her to seriously consider going through this change.
3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
I'll keep my mouth closed on that one.
4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
Fell even harder. I wasn't actually sure that was possible, but it happened.
5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think it's both. The physical connection two people have when they are being intimate, even just 'making out', is definitely more to 'deal with' than just holding someone or hugging them, and therefore, for Edward, would be harder to control.
6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadnâ€™t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
Well, Edward answers this question in Eclipse. I assumed, from the beginning, that Edward was a virgin based solely on the time period he grew up in. It was a more conservative time, so it would have been more easily accepted that he was a virgin as opposed to not.