Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Bronze Haired Girl
Human History Archivist
Location: Driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Bella's Dreams

Post by Bronze Haired Girl »

I was wondering why more emphasis wasn't placed on how important her dreams were and how they indicated she had strong precognitive powers herself since some of her dreams were portending future events. This is especially true when she dreamed about the baby that she was trying to protect.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Banner by urcoolcarrie
holunder
Settled in Forks

Re: Bella's Dreams

Post by holunder »

Hm, maybe because Bella is already a shield. It would be too much. Even now, she seems like a superhero. But that's only my theory. Any other ideas?
I love you.
That's why we're here.

Thanks for my avatar to kfkinslow02
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by moon.cherry.twilite »

I wouldn't really call Bella's dreams 'precognitive'. I think they showed the day's events in a different light than how she saw them, while experiencing them. I remember in Eclipse, she had a dream after speaking to Rosalie. Bella was bleeding, and she was dragging herself along the road or something? And Rosalie was watching her "resentfully". Then, she had a dream about a werewolf version of Billy Black fighting with Rosalie...And before that, in New Moon, she kept dreaming about Sam Uley which led to her realization that Jacob was with him. Basically, I think that Bella's dreams interpret occurrences with a new perspective. I'm not sure that's normal, but then again, who ever said Bella was normal?
OMDE= Oh My Dazzling Edward
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob
GO HERE: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4364852/1/Y ... h_Twilight

Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

I think SM used Bella's dreams as a way to foreshadow for the story. And like moon.cherry said, I think Bella's dreams helped her reorganize information in a way that she could better understand. I mean, Bella's world before Edward was like our lives, completely normal and devoid of anything supernatural. Imagine if all of a sudden you discovered vampires were real. And not only that, but you were falling in love with one. And then, you have to deal with the fact that humans are turning into werewolves. Bella has a LOT to deal with and she has to reorganize her entire way of thinking about things. I think her dreams help her to do that. It's kind of like her coping mechanism. I don't know if that makes sense. I don't really think she has "predictive" dreams until BD, with the baby. But again, I think that was just her coming to terms with the vampire babies that Carlisle had told her about.
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by moon.cherry.twilite »

Again, I'm not sure about the baby dreams in BD being precognitive...yes, she dreamed of the Volturi and having to protect the boy. But that's just it. She dreamt of a BOY. Which is obviously wrong.
OMDE= Oh My Dazzling Edward
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob
GO HERE: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4364852/1/Y ... h_Twilight

LanieBeth
Settled in Forks

Post by LanieBeth »

Meyer probably didn't know exactly where she was going with it to begin with. Plus she wouldn't want to give away too much in the beginning.
-laniebeth @ http://laniebeth.etsy.com for kitsch shirts and jewelry
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I agree with the fact that the dreams were used to foreshadow events in the books. I'm just wondering if Bella had always been a vivid dreamer, before she moved to Forks. She had stated that she had a pretty dull life in Phoenix, no real close friends, no boyfriends, nothing out of the ordinary. I wonder if the supernatural atmosphere of Forks triggered the dreams. Had there been no werewolves and vampires, and she settled in with a human boyfriend, would her dreams still have been so vivid? Granted, the wolves and vamps multiplied her danger factor immensely. When you have much to fear, or have strong emotions about the one you love, or much to worry about in everyday life, these things tend to spill into your unconscious thoughts. Bella certainly had these 3 factors in Forks. Interesting topic!
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

I don't think Bella always had such vivid dreams.
When she entered the world of the Supernatural the atmosphere that surrounded her was so much more intense. Everything she did was surrounded by super human abilities and people, life became so much more hectic. I think the intense atmosphere that was always around her - whether it was her intense love, fear from the dangers targeting her, worrying about her new family or just processing the onslaught of information she was given - that triggered her dreams.
I like how SM foreshadowed so many events through Bella's dreams, whether we actually took in their meaning the first time we read them or not, they all provide vital insight into Bella and the Books.
I liked them
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

For some reason, I'm thinking that I read somewhere that when you undergo something stressful, such as a move, then your dreams often become more vivid. Plus, with the abundant vegetation, I would think that would add some vivid-ness, as opposed to concrete.
And then, finding out people around you are vampires and werewolves would also fall into the 'stressful' category too, I believe.
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

Now I may be off the point on this but here is what I've gathered.

It seems to me that Bella's didn't really become very active until she was with Jacob and he told her the story of the cold ones. I believe this is when she started putting thing together about Edward and the Cullens and it all played out in her dreams.

I think (now this is my opinion) that SM realized that we are dealing with conflicts, stress, etc. we usually resolve or work things out through our dreams and during that time we usually find clarity and our mind usually accepts what we think is impossible in waking life to believe.

This whole dream analysis comes from someone who graduated with a degree in Psychology and dream analysis was something that was covered frequently.

So basically I think that Bella knew all along or had ideas about the Cullen's, Jacob's sudden change and the dream about the Volturi and her baby were all due to the fact that her waking mind couldn't sort it out or accept it so everything was played out in her dreams.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!