A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Phoenix8
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by Phoenix8 »

1. Did I have a sense of foreboding? Hell yes! I was expecting this. Dreading it but like Stephanie said on some interview, it's just what Edward would do when he couldn't ignore his conscience anymore. And when their love had built up to the intensity that he is willing to go off on any crazy path to "save" her. And we get warnings in Twilight that he considers his need for Bella selfish and is always considering leaving as an option.

2. I've never had experience of that kind of relationship slipping away. It would devastate me!

3. Edward's speech...He is like a force of nature when he decides this. There's nothing Bella could say or do to avert his departure. He has completely wrong-footed her. Not that she needed it, poor lass! And the build up where he subtly undermines all her certainties is equally powerful! I am a confident, assertive woman but I would crumple identically and I'll bet most of us would. After all how hard is it really to believe your own darkest fears. I didn't believe his words but that made his decision even more tragic.

4. I couldn't care less about Sam Uley! He wasn't the person I was longing to see.

5. Those months flicking by...horrible! And it kills our own hope that Edward will cave in any time soon.
ClaudiaCullen
Learning to Love Green

Post by ClaudiaCullen »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I had like a jabbing pain in my stomach and i felt it coming it was terrible.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
YES omg i hated it. Its the worst feeling..

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I knew he was lying because he's such a good lier and he said he would leave her if he deemed it necessary

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
Ugh it was scary. At that point reality set in.. NO MORE EDWARD.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
I CRIED OMG i wanted to throw the book. I knew how she felt and like ugh it was terrible..
3 perfect men
IAN O'SHEA
EDWARD ANTHONY MASEN CULLEN AND JASPER HALE <333
triciavenice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by triciavenice »

Alphie wrote:Questions prepared by Cocoa

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I knew something was up, but never thought he would leave her. I just thought that he was depressed so to speak.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Unfortuneatly I have, but the relationship didn't last anyways..... I guess everything happens for a reason.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I felt like I was Bella, thinking I didn't deserve him, that this was inevitable, it was going to happen one day, he would realize he was better without me. It comes with great love, great insecurity..... a fact of life, especially when your very young and in love for the first time.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

LIke everyone else, I didn't put much attention to it, just glad someone "friendly" found her.

I have to say, I read twilight in two days, ran to book store to buy New Moon, after this chapter, I was literally SO FREAKING MAD!!!!!! I put the book down and wouldn't read it! Like I was hurting anyone but myself! I spoke with my sister who had read the entire series and she reassured me that it would get better, that's the only way I was able to bear the Jacob thingy..... then I was praying that she wouldn't fall for Jacob! (Team Edward and all) Only when I re read New Moon did I appreciate the chapters inbetween the end and Italy. Like Stephanie had said I really, read fast to get to the "reunion" of Edward and Bella.
StarEmerson
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by StarEmerson »

It did not take me by surprise, for on thing I knew he leaving, I had read a synopysis on the net! But how SM wrote how Bella was feeling was spot on. It makes you feel anxious, as Bella did. I would know something awful was going to happen.

Yes! It is horrific, it makes you feel physically sick. It has happened to me, once. My first love and first real boyfriend. I was 16. I was visiting him at his house and I just knew. I have no idea how, he was acting just like normal, but there was just a shift, I knew he was letting go kinda.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

No I didnt believe he didnt love her! I never thought that, it was obvious why he left, to be honest it was only the second time I read it that I realised Bella believed it too!

It was very harsh but I could see why he was doing it, and when he left and Bella tried to follow him? It broke my heart.

There was not really a reaction. Maybe I should have reacted, but I wasnt thinking, "oh yeah, he is a werewolf" I was too upset for Bella! The next time I read it though, I picked up on the bit that says Bella heard a snuffling, sniffing animal sound. That would have been Sam in wolf form.

I liked it, very melodramtic. And it showed that time had passed but obviously Bella had not moved on! Also I was sad, thinking "He isnt back yet??? :cry:
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"

vampirelover7
Settled in Forks

Post by vampirelover7 »

Alphie wrote:Questions prepared by Cocoa

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?it totally took me by surprise. it felt like i was kinda betrayed by edward. he broke bellas heart i just didnt understnd why he did that.

yes i think its one of the worst feelings in the world.
3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? i beileved that he was serious and he wasn't coming back i felt like he was right but they could of worked it out.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. ????

i knew bella's pain. to float though time like it doesnt mader if the person u love isnt there.
stellar87
Completely Dazzled!
Location: The Brit's side...any and everywhere ;-) (Washington State)

Post by stellar87 »

I knew something was coming. I'm not sure I knew it was quite as drastic...but yeah, something very bad was coming.

Yeah, I have. You just want to be able to reach out and grab it like it's something tangible...but it doesn't always happen that way.

Absolutely not. I didnt' believe any of what he said. I knew he was just saying it to protect Bella. He thought it would be so much better for Bella if he weren't around but he was so wrong.

I felt a little uneasy but at the same time he saved her...so I wasn't really sure what to think.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
It hit me hard. I teared up and was like wow...that is so dramatic and I realized it affected me so much because I've felt like that. I've had months slip by me with barely even noticing because I was so lost. The pain felt very real. I felt for Bella...and Edward, even though he wasn't there because I knew he was feeling exactly the same way.
ImageImage
Kristiner is the Rob to my TomStu. HA!
emurlee!
Settled in Forks

Post by emurlee! »

It did not take me by surprise at all, but the whole time I was wishing desperately that I was totally wrong that Edward was going to leave.

I think the question is directed towards those who have had the relashonships

I was expecting him to not hold out for so long. And I knew that his speech was only said because he really loves her. Also, I was aware that there was going to be Eclipse, so I knew that Steph could NOT take out Edward for a whole book.

I can't remember all I can remember is that I was crying when I read this disbelief, I felt like I was depressed too.

Oh No. That was my reaction, and then I really did believe that Bella would become suicidal or something in hopes that Alice would see tell Edward, and have him come back to her.
skinnybones4
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skinnybones4 »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? I felt it when she was lead into the trail.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? I have never been in such a depth of a relationship, so I don't think I have felt that.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I belived that he would return.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. that edward was really gone

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages. It showed that it was really over. And that Edward made no contact what so ever with Bella.
Talking about the Twilight Saga!
pinkblack08
Settled in Forks

Post by pinkblack08 »

It took me by surprise..When Bella thought that when he spoke,it seemed that he's saying goodbye(or somethin' like that),I thought that after that, Edward won't feel kinda guilty and they'd be happy again--but no..
I really thought that time that Edward was freakin' ridiculous. Totally. And I can't stop crying--even when some times I read that part again. :cry:

Hmm..I've never had a relationship, but if that might happen, maybe I would--depending on how much I love and how strong our relationship is.. But really, it depends..

Hmm... I think I won't believe him--in one way or the other, he didn't want Bella to be hurt or sad(I read that in MS..haha)..why did he have to make a relationship with Bella if he didn't even love her? I mean, Rosalie doesn't approve of her but he still fought for Bella(..well--in some sense*)..And--after the hunt of James, didn't Bella already prove herself for coming to James alone and that she'd die for Edward?How may times in Twilight had she said that she'd rather die than leave Edward? :?

I thought that was another vampire ordered by Edward to get her again :lol: ...
I really just can't believe it.. I was desperate for a sign that Edward might have changed his mind/... :cry:

I was entirely shocked--How long had she survived without Edward--normally?I mean,when I read the other chapters after those 'months' pages, she doesn't seem to want to remember Edward.. How fast she had moved on...
Yeah, they do!
ammyownbella
Settled in Forks

Post by ammyownbella »

I definately had a sense of foreboding and when I read that he was leaving I could not continue. Up until that point, I had been so involved in the books that I didn't do any of my courseload homework, but rather I focused on the books. It was so hard to pick it up again and continue; I guess I always knew that Edward would come back in the picture again, but it broke my heart...and I know this is fiction! I will say that when I read the months pages it was one of the most catching literary pieces of work I've ever read...and I read alot; I could feel exactly what Stephenie Meyer wanted to portray. I think if anyone has ever gone through a horrible break-up the sense that time just passes without you even realizing how quickly it's going is what adds to the pain; you feel stuck; you can't seem to heal and the pain is fresh every morning. I loved that she wrote it that way because a reader could understand the depth of the pain Bella was going through.

After just seeing the movie, I decided to re-read them all again. It was still painful to read New Moon. I knew how it was going to end and yet I found myself still crying over the pain Edward inflicted, unintentionally or not. These books are awesome and I have to say very distracting. I read them all two months ago and here I am reading them again. So thank you Stephenie Meyer for writing such wonderful books where I can just lose myself in the fictional reality of epic true love.