Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Re: Rosalie Hale

Post by urcoolcarrie »

i personally love rosalie. she has such depth, and its amazing if you really sit and think about it. several people i have talked to don't like rosalie because they say she is mean. i don't believe that she is mean, but rather worried and disgruntled that someone is screwing up her family. out of all the cullens, she is arguably the one who wants to be human the most. yes, she has emmett, but lets face it-she really doesn't have much more than that. (not that i would complain. :))she wants to have children, she wants to grow old, and she wants to die. she can't have any of this because something happended that was out of her control. and then, after facing all of these problems, a human enters her life. she gets to be with her true love, even though hes a vampire and she is not, and still gets to be human. rosalie has to have been torn apart by facing the fact that bella has everything she wants.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Angeliss wrote:Rosalie is my favorite character. She's so complex, with so many flaws and insecurities (yes, insecurities. You think her inability to trust comes from someone who isn't afraid of getting hurt?) and so many levels and desires. I could think/talk about her for hours on end.

I actually don't think that she's as selfish as Edward thinks she is, or Jacob, for that matter. Shocking, I know. But my reasoning is this- Rosalie has never really moved on from the time that Royce raped her. She is still an avenging angel in one sense, but a broken little girl in another, still the same person left to die in an alley. And there is a lot of emotional trauma that comes from such abuse, trauma that Emmett surely helps her deal with, but something she is still overwhelmed by. One defense mechanism is to think about shallow things.

I thought that she'd gone backwards in BD for a moment, too, until I reread the section with Leah's thoughts on her actions, and realized that Edward and Jacob are really not the best at seeing Rosalie's motives in an unbiased way. There is too much at stake for them. Leah was the only one to offer Rosalie redemption.
Angeliss, did you used to be on this thread in its original form? A lot of your (very persuasive) points sound familiar - maybe you were one of the ones to help me see Rose more for who she is?

When Bella talks about how her human memories (after only a few days) are a blur, and then when you compare that to Rosalie's crystal clear memories of her last hours alive, you realize how much she is haunted by that, how traumatized she was and how she has focused on those memories so very much. Rosalie and Leah are a lot alike, and I think your point that Leah's thoughts provide some balance to the portrayal is dead on. Yes, Rose speaks very harshly while taking care of Bella (her scorn at the legends always resulting in the mother's death), but we are never privy to Rose and Bella's conversations. It's too bad that it's unlikely that Rose and Leah couldn't be friends. I get the feeling it's hard for Rose to have female friends. Vera in her human life must've been her last one (until Bella became pregnant).
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

jacob and edward's OPINIONS may be biased, but edward knows the facts. he can get in her head, he knows what she's thinking, he knows her motivations, and he's furious. what does that tell you?

rose gets so scornful of those legends because she knows what she's doing is wrong, and she scorns proof of it, much as most self-centered people do.

rosalie is simply incapable of being nice for the sake of not being mean.

i have all the sympathy in the world for her situation, and i empathize in her fury, bitterness, resentment, all of that.

but that doesn't excuse her actions. if you are going to be a counselor of people like rose, that's the first thing you tell a person who's acting badly out of rage and hurt like this: that its' ok to be angry, to be bitter, to be all those things. it's not ok to make others suffer for it.

the horrible, horrible things that happened to her in the past do not excuse what she has done, or the selfishness she acted with in BD.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Edward-Bella-forever
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward-Bella-forever »

AgentCross wrote:I like Rose, even if she can be a pain at sometimes. She does love her family and she is loyal. She just had a really rough life and I understand where her pain comes from and the problems she had with Bella. I think Renesmee was one of the best things to happen to the Cullen Family and to Rose.
I agree, even though I don't like Rosalie that much. I kinda hate her. Lol
"And he smiled my favorite crooked smile..."Image
Old username known as: Edward_and_Bella_forever
Heroes: "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

I was rereading a part of Breaking Dawn yesterday and something struck me. Is Rosalie just another character looking bad because OF Bella. I have no aversion to Rosalie whatsoever unlike many people, however, I just found it kind of interesting. I mean, is it even Rosalie’s fault if Bella died after giving birth, isn’t that sort of selfish of Bella and not selfish of Rosalie. Because logically, Bella was the one that asked Rosalie to help her keep the baby. It wasn’t like Rosalie was pulling Bella’s leg, and threatening her to keep the baby, even. So how is it that everyone is hating on her. Is it so wrong of her to want to help bella with her child. And the whole thing with Rosalie caring about the baby more than Bella - isn’t that WHAT bella cares about too and wants?
Because for me, certainly I can not see that ‘horrid’ and ‘selfish’ part of Rosalie that is making everyone hating her...
but i guess that's just my oponion
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

bella's judgement of right and wrong is clouded by the fact that it's her BABY. she loves it, no matter what. however, rosalie had nothing clouding her judgement. and she was thinking that if bella died she'd get the baby, her intentions were completely selfish. we know this because edward can READ HER THOUGHTS. we have a certain insight to rosalie's intentions in this. i feel that she was being selfish and self centered because i know her intentions. not because of bella. if i thought she protected bella simply out of understanding and care for her, i would not feel the same way.

KeepMeWithYou
Wandering Through Town
Location: In the City of Nothing with my Dhampir, Xavier, and his human Ally

Post by KeepMeWithYou »

In Twilight Rosalie was just a vampire with beauty and jealousy, one of the background Cullens, I guess, but still important. It was only in Eclipse she became more of a person. We saw the reason behind her jealousy, her antagonism, towards Bella. In Breaking Dawn, she seemed to slip back into the "Twilight Rosalie" but with much more of a purpose to her actions.

Sure, she wanted the baby and didn't mind killing Bella in the process, but that's because Bella was getting what she [Rosalie] was denied, her adoptive brother was getting what he wanted, what she's wanted for years: a child.
It's a bit extreme what she wanted to do to Bella, but it's understandable because Rosalie's desire for the child was extreme.

MAJOR EDIT: Okay I didn't want to justify killing someone, but perhaps I worded it extremely wrong. I'm just saying that from Rosalie's POV, her thoughts were understanable in the situation and her desire for the child drove that desperation. She was wiling to kill her sister-in-law to get her child and I thought that was extreme- I wondered also about Rose's past and what she was denied, so I suppose her actions made me pity her for what she'd lost.

I tried not justifying killing while looking at Rose's situation, I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I meant no offense. Hope I explained more clearly this time. :oops:
Last edited by KeepMeWithYou on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyehack
Settled in Forks

Post by skyehack »

Just because her thouhts were justifiable doesnt mean that they were correct. She had absolutely no right to Bellas child or, for that matter, to Bellas life.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

KeepMeWithYou wrote:In Twilight Rosalie was just a vampire with beauty and jealousy, one of the background Cullens, I guess, but still important. It was only in Eclipse she became more of a person. We saw the reason behind her jealousy, her antagonism, towards Bella. In Breaking Dawn, she seemed to slip back into the "Twilight Rosalie" but with much more of a purpose to her actions.

Sure, she wanted the baby and didn't mind killing Bella in the process, but that's because Bella was getting what she [Rosalie] was denied, her adoptive brother was getting what he wanted, what she's wanted for years: a child.
It's a bit extreme what she wanted to do to Bella, but it's understandable because Rosalie's desire for the child was extreme. At first I thought she was taking it a bit too far, but after thinking it over, I think her thoughts were justifiable in the situation.
i'm sorry, you just justified KILLING someone over jealousy. i can't understand that.

spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I don't (or didn't until this very second) have strong feeling about Rosalie. She was kinda a background character for me, but I am really new to the saga and read it all once really - really fast... I will certainly think about her more when I read the books again.

I did think that Rosalie just wanted the baby. In fact, I always imagined her grabbing the baby and keeping it all for herself, irregardless of Bella's fate. Now that I have read everyones comments and thoughts, I have a compleatly new outlook on Rose.

Yes, without a doubt she wanted Bella's baby to live. I don't think she cared if Bella lived or died. I think Bella called Rosalie for help because she was the only person who wouldn't put Bella first and she'd support Bella's decision and right to have her baby.

I think if Bella wanted to commit suicide when she jumped off the cliff and Rosalie was with her, she would not stop Bella from making her own human choices, irregardless of right or wrong. She really does not stop to think about the other person ever. She isn't really mean or bad, just In her self absorbed way, Rosalie thinks only about herself. I bet she wasn't even thinking about Bella's baby really... she was just thinking about herself being able to be a mother figure. Selfish, but not intentionally mean.

thanks everyone for giving me a lot to think about :mrgreen:
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!