General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Imprinting

Post by psugar »

I feel sad for Claire and Nessie, I mean who would want to find their true love that young I can picture it.
"How long have you guys been together?"
Nessie:Since the day I was born

That ought to be a great conversation starter.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I feel like I have the opposite view on this than everyone on here. I don't feel like imprinting is such a bad thing. I mean, you have found someone who is going to do there best to protect you and provide for you. They will do anything for you. They will treat you better than they treat yourself and they seriously LOVE YOU with everything that's in them. Hello, isn't that the perfect guy? And everyone is forgetting how Jacob explains it to Bella..."it's as if they were made just for each other".
Tamran
Settled in Forks

Post by Tamran »

vampirenerd wrote:I feel like I have the opposite view on this than everyone on here. I don't feel like imprinting is such a bad thing. I mean, you have found someone who is going to do there best to protect you and provide for you. They will do anything for you. They will treat you better than they treat yourself and they seriously LOVE YOU with everything that's in them. Hello, isn't that the perfect guy? And everyone is forgetting how Jacob explains it to Bella..."it's as if they were made just for each other".
i agree! no matter what you have each other. if only the real world were like that..lol.
AD523
Settled in Forks

Post by AD523 »

I kind of think of it like this: Sure, it would be nice to have someone TOTALLY devoted to you and willing to do whatever you wanted no matter what it was. It would be nice to have someone so in love with you they can't even see straight, that it alters their entire being. But...would you want to be that person?

If you imprint, you can't refuse your imprintee anything. Do they even argue? Do they have compromise, or does the imprintee get whatever they want? It just seems to me that the one who imprints loses all their desires. Their desires get replaced by their imprintee's desires.

I'm not sure if any of this is making sense. It's kind of hard to put into words. =/
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by vampirenerd »

AD523 wrote:I kind of think of it like this: Sure, it would be nice to have someone TOTALLY devoted to you and willing to do whatever you wanted no matter what it was. It would be nice to have someone so in love with you they can't even see straight, that it alters their entire being. But...would you want to be that person?

If you imprint, you can't refuse your imprintee anything. Do they even argue? Do they have compromise, or does the imprintee get whatever they want? It just seems to me that the one who imprints loses all their desires. Their desires get replaced by their imprintee's desires.

I'm not sure if any of this is making sense. It's kind of hard to put into words. =/
I understand what you are saying but I don't think the imprinter (not sure if that's a word but you get my point) looks at it that way. If you remember how Jacob described Quil when he was playing with Claire on the beach. She was giving him hell and hitting him in the head with rocks and he was loving every minute of it. I think that once they imprint they really do love to make their imprintee happy. So, it's not like they have a problem giving them whatever they want.

I love using the word imprinter and imprintee...it makes it sound so official lol
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I think that imprinting is awesome. No need to go on dates.
I would love it if a werewolf imprinted on me.
I really didn't understand it at first, but then I reread that part of Eclipse and yeah.
I just think that it is a really cool way to find your soul mate.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

psugar wrote:I feel sad for Claire and Nessie, I mean who would want to find their true love that young I can picture it.
"How long have you guys been together?"
Nessie:Since the day I was born

That ought to be a great conversation starter.
:lol:
vampirenerd wrote: If you remember how Jacob described Quil when he was playing with Claire on the beach. She was giving him hell and hitting him in the head with rocks and he was loving every minute of it. I think that once they imprint they really do love to make their imprintee happy. So, it's not like they have a problem giving them whatever they want.
Has anyone read the Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld?

This reminds me of that in a way. If you haven't read them, you might want to skip this:
They had those lesions and it messed with their heads. The lesions made them passive, always happy and agreeable. The government used the lesions to manipulate them so that it could do whatever it wanted. No more of those pesky kids who thought differently than the majority and fought for their 'cause'. No one had a cause anymore except to just be... happy.

It's similar to imprinting, in a way. Jacob, as soon as he imprinted on Renesmee, seemed so completely lighthearted. I'm not saying it's a bad thing— I was actually torn, trying to decide if I would willingly give up ignorant bliss as Bubblehead for the harsh truth of the world.

Anyway, what I mean is that imprinting sort of... manipulated his mind. It forced him to be happy and fall in love with a... baby. 0.0

I also think that if Jacob and Renesmee were "meant to be" they could have become so much later. Instead of forcing her life to become one big story of growing up with her father/brother/lover, she could grow up and *then* she and Jacob would find love slowly, through exploration of each other's personalities.

And... yeah. It ended up much longer than I expected. :P
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

Thankyou, and it does seem like the Uglies trilogy with lesions messing with their heads.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by vampirenerd »

The only thing about imprinting is that even if they were "meant" to be they couldn't have waited till later. Imprinting happens the first time you see the person. So if he didn't imprint on her when he first saw her (as a baby) it would never have been "meant" to be
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

No, but what I meant was that that imprinting seems unnecessary, as a plot point or whatever it was used for.
Why did Jacob have to imprint on Renesmee right away in Breaking Dawn? I know there was a whole 'happily ever after' theme going on, but that might've been overkill... :?
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj