Most Nerve-wracking, heart stopping Moments thread

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Re: Most Nerve-wracking, heart stopping Moments thread

Post by Kate »

Susie: As I pick the nickname of Kate, I was searching something that work with the electricity… So, I though that was accurate… :) I'm happy you noticed it, I made it yesterday! :)

You’re right, for me, the whole chapter 13 is heart stopping…

But, maybe the problem here is the definition… For me an heart stopping moment can be beautiful or even sexy… Like the chapter 13 or all the talking they do in the Volvo in Twilight (I’m re-reading this part in English for the first time and it so cute! :) )… Or that part:
ValerieC wrote:I don't know if I would really classify this moment as nerve wracking, but for me it was heart stopping....acutally, maybe heart accelerating.....
"His hand curved around my elbow, moving slowly down my arm, across my ribs and over my waist, tracing along my hip and down my leg, around my knee. He paused there, his hand curling around my calf. He pulled my leg up suddenly, hitching it around his hip.
I stopped breathing. This wasn't the kind of thing he usually allowed. Despite his cold hands, I felt suddenly warm. His lips moved in the hollow at the base of my throat
."
Eclipse, pg 186
It’s totally heart stopping! But not nerve-wraking… For me, nerve-wraking is the birth of Nessie and the "run" in Volterra…
:)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Kate and Valerie C: Yeah, that quote from Eclipse is known as the "leg hitch" :lol: And yes, very erotic!!! Heart accelerating is right.

I hope you enjoy reading the books in English!
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Susie wrote:I hope you enjoy reading the books in English!
Totally! :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Edwards_Bella
Learning to Love Green

Post by Edwards_Bella »

Ally_Cat wrote:I have to agree that a nerve-wrecking moment was when Edward said he was leaving in New Moon.
I was sad for Bella and astonished by Edward thinking it would be that easy to forget.
I believe my actual thought went along the lines of "Boys are so stupid"
i've seen New Moon 4 times and every time i broke down and cried [to the movie screen] 'Noooooooo Edward! Don't do it!' but then i go home and he's at the end of my bed so...

another heart-breaking scene is when Edward battles dimitri i can't watch my man get beat up like that
<3 Look after my heart - I've left it with you <3
Click on the egg
goldeneyedgirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by goldeneyedgirl14 »

This is kind of an odd one, but i think Chapter 13 of Twilight...Confessions. my book is split where i have gone back to read that lone chapter over and over, because i couldnt stop turning pages. the way he tells her he wants to kill her but wont because at the same time he cares for her soooooo much, is, what i think, what any girl would love to hear. not the killing part, but of how much he just profoundly loves her.
"Ooooooh, scary."- Emmet Cullen Breaking Dawn
Team emmet.
"I have alot of scars like yours, Bella."-Jasper Hale Eclipse
Team Jasper.
Both are so hot, why should I have to decide?
Kate
Officially Bitten!

Post by Kate »

goldeneyedgirl14 wrote:This is kind of an odd one, but i think Chapter 13 of Twilight...Confessions. my book is split where i have gone back to read that lone chapter over and over, because i couldnt stop turning pages. the way he tells her he wants to kill her but wont because at the same time he cares for her soooooo much, is, what i think, what any girl would love to hear. not the killing part, but of how much he just profoundly loves her.
I totally agree with you! :)

JustMe44
Settled in Forks

Post by JustMe44 »

I think the most nerve-wracking, heart stopping moment for me was in Breaking Dawn when Edward found out that Bella was pregnant.
"A vampire who was still frozen on the floor with no signs of ever moving again."
Edward completely freaks and it completely freaked me out. I'm talking like physically ill for the whole entire Book II: Jacob until she actually has the baby.
Book II: Jacob - "They were all here, all together, but that was not what froze me where I stood and had my jaw dropping to the floor. It was Edward. It was the expression on his face. I'd seen him angry, and I'd seen him arrogant, and once I'd seen him in pain. But this - this was beyond agony. His eyes were half-crazed. He didn't look up to glare at me. He stared down at the couch beside him with an expression like someone had lit him on fire...."
"He raised his hand as if to wipe sweat from his forehead, but his fingers scraped against his face like they were going to rip his granite skin right off. His black eyes burned in their sockets, out of focus, or seeing things that weren't there. His mouth opened like he was going to scream, but nothing came out. This was the face a man would have if he were burning at the stake."

I will never, ever, ever forget this "burning man". Stephenie Meyer tortured my mind with this for a few good hours and it was excruciating. I was literally sick to my stomach and forced myself to keep reading until that half of the book was over.

The other part that had me upset was when Edward left, the last paragraph of Chapter 3 in New Moon. I have so totally felt like this before and it's amazing that my own feelings have been put into words.
"I felt the smooth wooden floor beneath my knees, and then the palms of my hands, and then it was pressed against the skin of my cheek. I hoped that I was fainting, but, to my disappointment, I didn't lose consciousness. The waves of pain that had only lapped at me before now reared high up and washed over my head, pulling me under. I did not resurface."

It reminds me of my favorite paragraph of Jane Eyre by Emily Bronte at the end of Chapter 26 -
"My eyes were covered and closed: eddying darkness seemed to swim round me, and reflection came in as black and confused a flow. Self-abandoned, relaxed, and effortless, I seemed to have laid me down in the dried-up bed of a great river; I heard a flood loosened in remote mountains, and felt the torrent come: to rise I had no will, to flee I had no strength. I lay faint, longing to be dead. One idea only still throbbed life-like within me - a remembrance of God: it begot an unuttered prayer: these words went wandering up and down in my rayless mind, as something that should be whispered, but no energy was found to express them - "Be not far from me, for trouble is near: there is none to help."............... "That bitter hour cannot be described; in truth, "the waters came into my soul; I sank in deep mire: I felt no standing: I came into deep waters; the floods overflowed me."
GO VOLS!!
sorcierdeflipper
Settled in Forks

Post by sorcierdeflipper »

When Alice comes back in New Moon I ALWAYS cry. I know its coming but when she flips on the light and its her, GAH.

I think the most emotionally draining part of the whole series for me though is in the final battle scene, when everyone starts holding hands, and acknowledging that they might lose. I just wanna scream at Bella, "TELL THEM ITS OKAY! TELL THEM THEY ARE SAFE!!!"
Image Can you blame me for keeping my eyes open?
PetiteSageHibou
Settled in Forks

Post by PetiteSageHibou »

Oh, for me the most heart-stopping moment was definitely "the run" in New Moon! I very nearly lost consciousness! (Though it was only for a few seconds ^_^ ). I stopped breathing while she was running, and then suddenly the book was on the floor and my vision waas all spotty ^_^ It was just the thought of how awful it would be; so close, and to have him step out into the light and be killed! Very suspensful ^_^
ImageImageImage
madness_falls
Wandering Through Town

Post by madness_falls »

Definitely when Edward left, even though I knew that you couldn't have a love story without one of the main characters (imho anyways, unless its recounting the past) so I *knew* he was coming back. When Victoria came back, the whole fight with the newborns I was sitting there, bent over the book shouting things at the book. Yeah, my family was less than thrilled with it. I bawled my eyes out when Jasper and Alice left, because I knew the story could theoretically continue without them. Like over a half an hour of crying. Then screamed so loudly my parents thought I was being attacked. xD The confrontation with the Volturi was intense too, I was sitting there, cursing an insane amount hoping a fight didn't come, because I knew Jasper was the only one who had a chance of survival.