General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Post by RebeccaCullen »

-Jasper wrote: Bella has a new laptop! It is stressed in the book that it is second-hand and very slow...
Perhaps Mac offered Summit a big deal to give Bella a Mac laptop :D
Hahaha, that was probably it. Product placement always works. Hm, if Breaking Dawn is made, how much you wanna bet that the music player Edward give Renesmee is an iPod.
aka_tennyo
Settled in Forks

Post by aka_tennyo »

I reckon they probably should have more technology considering the money they have and the time they have on their hands. It's a weird thought to imagine them ona computer, but also a reasonable one.
Team Switzerland

[On the day of the release of Breaking Dawn.]
Teacher: "So did anyone buy that book ... by that person ... who wrote the other books?"
Karistiona
Settled in Forks

Post by Karistiona »

Well aka_tennyo I figured that Stephenie did that to try and make the books a bit more timeless. I loved Edward giving Renesmee an MP3 player, what a cool dad!
I smile because I have no idea what's going on :)
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

RebeccaCullen wrote: Hahaha, that was probably it. Product placement always works. Hm, if Breaking Dawn is made, how much you wanna bet that the music player Edward give Renesmee is an iPod.
Hehe, and probably the most expensive iPod that you can buy.
Apple will milk the opportunity for all it's worth. :D
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
macfaerie
Settled in Forks

Post by macfaerie »

What about the thought that the Cullen’s embrace technology because of how timeless they are, they have lived through the inconveniences of life for centuries, especially Carlisle. Why wouldn’t they get a great deal of amusement and use out of the everyday things we use and discard in our short span of existence. when Edward gave Renesmee the MP3, maybe that was like his mom giving him a play piano when he was a boy. As he has gone through time, that little piano that got played on until the keys were finger dented, then the record was developed, and from there on through time to what is now a hand held device to play all the music he wants endlessly and to share it with this daughter, looking to the future at what she will be able to pass on.?? just a thought.
An Eternal Kiss, Given By a Dark Angel
MAL - 1995

Macfaerie
Niinella
Settled in Forks

Post by Niinella »

I liked the fact that the books didn't have a lot of technology in them. Makes me believe that there's some hope left.. and it's a nice break from the real world. (I mean that, everyone seems too meet, date and break up in the internet and it's frustrating. I'm not judging anyone, but I personally don't like the fact that people see each other every day in school and never talk face to face, but everything is so different in the internet and messenger.Why? WHY?)

The only thing that really bothered me in the books was that Bella didn't have a cell phone. And it seemed that not many of her human friends had either, or it wasn't mentioned.. Jacob didn't have a cell phone either.
I could be just a cultural difference, though. I just found it amusing that they didn't have cells (or use them much), because all of my friends and classmates had cell phones by the age of 11. Even my grandmother has a cell phone, and she calls me regularly. So a cultural difference, then.
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I was under the impression that all the Cullens had cell phones, it never occurred to me to wonder if Bella had one too. Seems like Charlie is the kind of dad who would provide one to her in case of emergencies.

It personally didn't bother me.

As for her computer, when you are trying to cut things out for a movie so the story flows quicker, seems like a slow computer is the first thing that should go... makes sense to me. The slow computer helped to draw out Bella's thoughts and emotions and so much of that doesn't translate on screen.
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
love_is_noise
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward

Post by love_is_noise »

roseaurora wrote:I was under the impression that all the Cullens had cell phones, it never occurred to me to wonder if Bella had one too. Seems like Charlie is the kind of dad who would provide one to her in case of emergencies.

It personally didn't bother me.

As for her computer, when you are trying to cut things out for a movie so the story flows quicker, seems like a slow computer is the first thing that should go... makes sense to me. The slow computer helped to draw out Bella's thoughts and emotions and so much of that doesn't translate on screen.
i get what you mean, but i was still annoyed with the lack of continuety in the film and the amount of changes from the book. (i wont go into details i will save my rant for an other thread)

o.k i can't hold it in, one thing... in her room
where is the yellow?
it all went purple!
i want yellow!!!
Jasper's Army:Captain RuneheartThe Plan:Supreme LeaderTeam Rose
Volturi::Anastasia Team Leah::Therapist Team Esme::Interior Designer
aka_tennyo
Settled in Forks

Post by aka_tennyo »

Karistiona wrote:Well aka_tennyo I figured that Stephenie did that to try and make the books a bit more timeless. I loved Edward giving Renesmee an MP3 player, what a cool dad!
Agreed, I suppose. Even so, I stand by that. Personally, I may be a little biased because of this as I am pretty into technology, but I find the lack of it in Twilight a little annoying in a way, although you wouldnt expect the characters to be on the computer, to be honest - they probably have better things to do.

I noticed Bella didnt have a ... cell/mobile phone (I always feel like I'm trying to speak two languages), but I guess she never really needed it. Was she provided one later? I can't recall because I spend half my time in fanfiction writing and dont recall the truth in it's exact form anymore...

Oh, and the room probably went purple to make give it all that much more suspense. If it was yellow, that of course, is a cheery colour which would totaly ruin the effects of Bella's pondering moments in her bedroom where she is thinking seriously and the such (though the character of Bella is pretty serious the whole way through. She seems to be missing a sense of humour here and there). I can see why it's been done, analyse it for you if need be, but I don't agree with it any more than you do. xD
Team Switzerland

[On the day of the release of Breaking Dawn.]
Teacher: "So did anyone buy that book ... by that person ... who wrote the other books?"
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

I always figured the Cullens had basic cell phones, but they weren't super texters or anything. They rarely used them.

Now, in DHN technology is more prominent. On page 143 we learn that Alice is working on some fashions for Rose on touch sensitive screens. Edward points out that they had to be altered because most respond to temperature (that's when I figured out why my iPod would occasionally ignore me - dang circulation). That's some hard core technology.

Then in PC8 SM describes the third floor of the Cullen House, where they do all their forgeries and computer hacking. So, when we read from Bella's perspective they seem very timeless but after I got into the knitty gritty it seems they are more technologically adept than most people.

It's almost like they have their own little CIA going :lol:
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind