General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bella_love3
Learning to Love Green

Re: Charlie's Response

Post by bella_love3 »

about the marriage i actually thought it was funny that Charlie thought that Renee would be the one that was mad and he wouldn't look like the bad parent but it was the other way around. i was actually a little surprised that he didn't put up a bigger fight. he went around mad for a while but he never really did anything to stop the wedding. i don't know about you but if i was going to get married before even going to college i think my dad would be a little upset especially if that boy had left me and made me depressed for a half a year or so. it just didn't seem right. i mean charlie got married when he was young and look what happened with that? but that is another excuse for bella to use saying that if he got married young than she can as well.

and charlie's responce to jacob turning into a wolf was totally another story i mean come on. who wouldn't freak out if you really didni't know what was going on. and how would anyone take the news that there daughter has a daughter who grows rapidly and changes daily. i thought that charlie's responce would be a lot more. he grounded her for the rest of the year even when she turned eighteen. it just seems strange to me... but i dont know.
LeechesRule95
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by LeechesRule95 »

When Jacob told Bella about Charlies reaction to Jacob taking his clothes off.... I wonder what Charlie was thinking but Im glad he didnt have a heart Attack when Jacob phased I would have been like " Holy shoot itss... itss... whoa why is the forest spinning" then i would faint or have a heart attack who knowss :lol: I also thought that maybe charlie would think that he was being fooled and that it wasnt Bella.......
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

I liked Charlie's response for the stories sake, it went along well when there was just so much other stuff going on. I don't think I could have handled and insane meltdown on top of everything else. But I also thought it was bizarre and had to work hard to put all the questions out of my head. I think I was more disturbed at his reaction to figuring out that Nessie was Bella and Edward's, than his reaction to Jacob.

Having lived in Forks forever I'm sure he's heard at least some of the Quilleute legends and so maybe that made the Jacob thing a little less of a shock to him, but I just don't see how he could be so "Don't ask, don't tell" about Nessie because she was so incredible!!
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

I agree with pretty much everyone. I thought that his reactions were too unreal. But it kinda sounds like it runs in the family. I mean, Bella didn't freak out about Edward being a vampire and being close to dying too many times to count. Maybe Charlie is the same way.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

heifergrl1 wrote:I agree with pretty much everyone. I thought that his reactions were too unreal. But it kinda sounds like it runs in the family. I mean, Bella didn't freak out about Edward being a vampire and being close to dying too many times to count. Maybe Charlie is the same way.

-Elizabeth
Well said. I agree with you. He kinda just takes it for what it is and rolls with it. It's very Bella-ish. I think that pretty much covers the issue of his reaction...
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
EdwardNJessi
Learning to Love Green

Post by EdwardNJessi »

You know...I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in Charlie. He seemed kind of like, "meh. whatever" about the fact that Bella was pale, had a musical voice, and golden eyes. I mean..I definitely thought he was going to fight a little more! I wanted there to be some conflict there, but there was nothing.

I can just imagine my Mom FREAKING OUT! :lol: She would lose it. It's strange that Charlie was so against Edward for most of the book yet, when he can't even see his daughter when she is sick, he acts like it's no big deal...
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

^I agree.

I think the only thing we can attribute it to is the 'quest for the happy ending'. A perfect happy ending would not involve a dead or otherwise harmed father. He had to be completely clueless, fall in love with Sue, and his annoyance would have to be out of the picture.

Charlie Swan's character had to be manipulated. There was no choice. It was either death, or the inevitable change from semi-rounded character to cardboard.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

i dont really get why jacob fased in front of charlie, i mean it didn't really have a lot to do with bella at all....
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

I think that Jacob fased in front of Charlie because he wanted him to believe that there was something supernatural going on with Bella but that he shouldn't pry into it. If he had just told Charlie that Bella is going through all these things Charlie probably wouldn't have believed him as readily. But since Charlie saw what Jacob is, he can see that Bella has changed into something supernatural as well, he just doesn't need/want to know what.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
Meztli
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Playing thunderball with the Cullens in a Demetri-free land!

Post by Meztli »

*TwilightIsMyDrug* wrote:
heifergrl1 wrote:I agree with pretty much everyone. I thought that his reactions were too unreal. But it kinda sounds like it runs in the family. I mean, Bella didn't freak out about Edward being a vampire and being close to dying too many times to count. Maybe Charlie is the same way.

-Elizabeth
Well said. I agree with you. He kinda just takes it for what it is and rolls with it. It's very Bella-ish. I think that pretty much covers the issue of his reaction...
Yes, I was just thinking this. Their reactions are similar, but Bella takes it up a notch.
*Spoiler*
In Midnight Sun, Edward points out that he could only sense the "tone" (for lack of a better word) of Charile's thoughts and not the actual unconscious words in his head. Maybe Bella got her indifference of mythical creatures from Charlie?
Hydraulic Broom Trainee for EDC, INC.
Commander of Emmett's Undies~Jell-O Wars '09
Fanfiction Profile: Meztli