General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Charlie's Response

Post by bite_me »

Charlie took it all WAY too calmly. Seriously.
His reaction to the WEDDING was worse than to the fact that his daughter is a mother and vampire.
Then again, Bella did say once that early marriage was worse on Renee's list than boiling live puppies. (or something like that)
Maybe that applies too Charlie too.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
Geekette
Settled in Forks

Post by Geekette »

I expected Charlie's response. It reminds me so much of how accepting Bella is. I think Bella is a lot like her father. Was he angry at the wedding, well maybe not angry but sad, confused and just wanting to be sure that his daughter was making the right choice. Its obvious that he instantly saw how happy she was afterward. I think he was relieved that she wasn't sick and dying like he had been lead to believe and she was home. I think all in all his response was wonderful. Did it lack fear, so what. Just pulled him and Bella closer together.

As far as a comment made about her pulling away from her mother, that relationship was slipping from the beginning. She'd wanted her mother to be happy and could see that she was with Phil, and she knew she was safe in Florida. So she was at peace with it. Especially after how happily her mother accepted her marriage to Edward.

All in all I think SM did a wonderful job with explaining their relationships. I have only read thru the books once and none of it confuses me actually. I loved it. And again I think Charlie's response was beautiful!

*~*Crissa*~*
---first post woot!!---
~*~Crissa~*~
E<3B
missxxmurder
Settled in Forks

Post by missxxmurder »

I think Charlie handled it really well. If I thought that vampires and shape-shifters didn't exist then I would probably feel like I was going crazy if someone I knew just turned into a wolf in front of my eyes. He decided that the less he knew the better, and I think for him that was a good approach. Not only that but it helped Bella but not feeling like she was putting her father on the line. I think he was very supportive and handled the situation like a real pro.
Once you go BLACK, you don't go back.
We can't all be hot, tall, and canine.
I run with wolves.
J<3B
hse_bldr
Settled in Forks

Post by hse_bldr »

Who else saw that Charlie was afraid of Bella? Like at the door he "cautiously" gave her a hug. Remember he did actually know for sure what she was?
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

He took the response better then I thought. I guess if it was between having Bella in his life in any way or no way, he would take her as she was.

He didn't just deal with Bella's change alone, he had Sue Clearwater with him who also had to deal with the supernatural world.
vampbball
Wandering Through Town

Post by vampbball »

I agree that Charlie under-reacted, but throughout the series, we're told how similar Charlie's and Bella's temperments are. So how did Bella react to learning that Edward was a vampire? She stayed calm and tried to accept it. I think that's exactly what Charlie's trying to do; he's pissed, but there's nothing he can do about it so he's trying to hide it.
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

I thought Charlie's reaction was very unnatural.
Like, you're daughter is "Different" and she now has a child.
It was just to weird.

I think from the beginning Charlie always knew something was, I guess strange, about the Cullens but he just didn't really know what. In Twilight I believe it stated something about him and Billy having talks about them (The Cullens), I can't really remember all the details -- and about Charlie basically shutting Billy up because he liked the Cullens so much and that they never spoke about it again.

I also think that part of him excepting it so well is just to keep Bella in his life. He thinks if he overreacts and asks questions that he might fear the answers as well as her leaving.

He knows about the wolf thing he's probably terrified to know anything more. :lol:
love2travel
Wandering Through Town

Post by love2travel »

vampbball wrote:I agree that Charlie under-reacted, but throughout the series, we're told how similar Charlie's and Bella's temperments are. So how did Bella react to learning that Edward was a vampire? She stayed calm and tried to accept it. I think that's exactly what Charlie's trying to do; he's pissed, but there's nothing he can do about it so he's trying to hide it.
I agree with vampball... Charlie loves Bella so much that he's willing to have her anyway he can... even if it means not "rocking the boat" so to speak with questions that can't be answered...
edwardisperfection
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by edwardisperfection »

Personally I thought Charlie's response was so weird and not in character at all.
The whole playing oblivious thing ven though your daughter had a baby within a month?
That's kinda weird. What kind of protective and caring dad like Charlie wouldn't ask questions?
TeamEdward
Bringing sexyback since 1901.
"So the lion fell in love with the lamb."
"What a lucky lamb."
hse_bldr
Settled in Forks

Post by hse_bldr »

But remember vampire have an intimidating aura about them. Could that have assisted in Charlie not delving deeper into the matter? Though the intimidation would have been more severe had she not been wearing contacts, maybe to the point where Charlie "snaps".