General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Re: Charlie's Response

Post by threethings »

Ugh. I had always respected Charlie as a good dad but when he came to visit and said everything needed to be on a "need to know" basis, I thought he'd lost it. When you think your child had a child, you would be more concerned wouldn't you? Maybe he had had enough with knowing Jacob was a werewolf, but even if he thought bella had changed he still should have known. Better yet, he should have wanted to know.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
LindsOuimet
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by LindsOuimet »

I don't think that people give Charlie enough credit. I think that deeeeeeeeep, deep down, Charlie always knew that there was something going on with the Cullens. I liked the way that it was written, and thought that how easily he accepted what little he let them tell him said a lot about how much he loved Bella and wanted to be a part of her life.

Private Magdalena Devries in Jasper's Army
Bulldozer Operator @ EDC, Inc.
Randomness Bum!
Owner and Operator of Calming Coves Bed & Breakfast - Jasper says Relax!
AmericanNomad
Settled in Forks

Post by AmericanNomad »

I didnt really see Charlie's response as an issue I think, like Renee's respone to Bella getting married, it was unexpected but justified. I agree that Charlie always had a feeling that something wasn't quite normal but he knew Bella was happy and safe, that's all that truely matters to a parent isn't it...? I also think his 'need to know basis rule was understandable how many people would actually want to know their daughter is a 'mythical' creature? some people would rather not know details as it's easier to deal with. But then that is just my opinion :)
plus que ma propre vie
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

Lizzie wrote:Actually, Charlie's response was one of the things that annoyed me most about the book.
His reaction is so unnatural - every parent in the world would freak out when discovering that their daughter changed into a mythical creature that happens to crave their blood!!
At least I would have expected him to be devastated for several days, weeks, months or years.
But he's just like "Ah well, Ignorance is bliss..." and ends up visiting his vampire daughter with her vampire husband and his hyperintellectual half-vampire granddaughter (that he didn't even know about) the same day he finds out. All happy family...

Uhm....not really?!?!?
I agree, I was a bit annoyed by that, too. But you can definitely tell how he is happier knowing so little about what happened. As long as she is ok and safe, I don't think he cares too much about what she is.
Twilove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilove »

I was shocked by his reaction because I was expecting him to go insane with every kind of emotion possible thats a typical Charlie response to things but I'm glad he didn't go overboard and I think that he did have a feeling thats the Cullen's were different so to speak and as long as Bella was happy he would be too and she was still basically the same Bella still loved Charlie even though she craved his blood but like i said as long as shes happy Charlie would have been fine ragardless
rapidheartbeat<3twi

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

If I were Charlie and I found out that my best friend's kid was a werewolf, my daughter looked strange-suspiciously like her new husband's odd family, I had been lied to about her location, she had KID, and the "adopted" kid looked strangely like her and her new husband, then I would be FREAKING OUT. My gosh, Charlie took it way too cooly. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't ever want to speak to Jacob again. Or if he didn't just pull Bella aside and said, "What is going on?"
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
iamangelcat
Settled in Forks

Post by iamangelcat »

I agree, but I also can understand why he might just react the way he did. I think he reacted very adult-like. He just took it as it came and didn't ask many questions. Of course the kid thing, yeah that should have made him freak more than he did. Then again, maybe he just loved her so fast that he didn't even care what she was. He was just happy to have her as a part of the family.
LeechesRule95

Post by LeechesRule95 »

iamangelcat wrote:I agree, but I also can understand why he might just react the way he did. I think he reacted very adult-like. He just took it as it came and didn't ask many questions. Of course the kid thing, yeah that should have made him freak more than he did. Then again, maybe he just loved her so fast that he didn't even care what she was. He was just happy to have her as a part of the family.
Yeah your right about Charlie excepting Rennesme, he probably just automatically thought she was the cutest thing in the world. JUST LIKE THE VAMPIRE COVENS WITH THE IMMORTAL CHILDREN. It had said that they grew so attached and that they were so adorable that covens fought to the last Vamp for them.....
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

*TwilightIsMyDrug* wrote:
heifergrl1 wrote:I agree with pretty much everyone. I thought that his reactions were too unreal. But it kinda sounds like it runs in the family. I mean, Bella didn't freak out about Edward being a vampire and being close to dying too many times to count. Maybe Charlie is the same way.

-Elizabeth
Well said. I agree with you. He kinda just takes it for what it is and rolls with it. It's very Bella-ish. I think that pretty much covers the issue of his reaction...
Yeah. Also, I was just finishing Eclipse today and I read a part about Charlie noticing things that he shouldn't about how Billy was reacting to the werewolves howling. It reminded me of Bella because she noticed so much about the Cullens and was able to figure out what they were about with little help. Maybe its the same thing with Charlie. Maybe he figured it out but doesn't want to accept what she is.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
DumBumm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by DumBumm »

Okay i was kinda annoyed they didn't tell Charlie everything... but then i got thinking, wouldn't Charlie find out in the next 2-7 years... or even earlier, Renesmee is growing heaps everyday, and he is gonna notice bella not changing, or when her eyes change and go golden :?:
Bella wears contacts thats near her naturally colored eyes (when she was human), i think that when her eyes will go golden, she will stop wearing the contacts...??
and if they move from forks... well thats just mean!
I wanna know what would happened if he does find out.