General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
be my escape
Totally Inside Jacob's Mind

Classic Romantic Relationships

Post by be my escape »

This thread is to take the Relationship of Edward and Bella and compair and contrast it with other great couples in literature.

-Let the discussion flow naturally.

-Throroughly discuss one couple comparison before moving onto another.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Classic Romantic Relationships

Post by debussygirl »

So after reading Jane Eyre I found a lot of parallels between their relationship and Edward and Bella's. First off, Mr. Edward Rochester is insanely rich. Jane is not and has nothing to offer to the relationship (in the beginning) but herself. It's the same with Edward and Bella. Jane sees herself as never getting Mr. Rochester (who by the way is quite a bit older than her) because she is so plain and poor-just like Bella. And Jane refuses gifts from Mr. Rochester, the way Bella does with Edward. Mr. Rochester also has a secret, like Edward did in the beginning. Their secrets are much different (Mr. Rochester is not a vampire, he actually already has a wife who is insane) but they do have them nonetheless and their girls both find them out. This is where it is different though-Jane runs away but Bella stays. However you could parallel the time Jane left Mr. Rochester with New Moon. Then, when Jane is about to agree to marry someone else she hears his voice calling, "Jane! Jane!" And she responds, "Where are you? Where are you?" This was like Bella's Edward hallucinations. Then Jane comes back to find Mrs. Rochester died and she marries Mr. Rochester-like Bella and Edward's reunion and eventually their marriage.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
SingLaTuaCantante
Settled in Forks

Post by SingLaTuaCantante »

Wow.
That was a really good take on it!
MindReader
Settled in Forks

Post by MindReader »

um...this is the first romance novel ive read :D
Mom dropped him alot when he was a baby. Leah told me.
On his head, apparently.
He used to gnaw on the crib bars, to.
Lead poisoning?
Looks like it, Leah thought.
Seth snorted. Funny. Why don't you two shut up and sleep?
LOL xD
Tamalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tamalyn »

debussygirl wrote:Then, when Jane is about to agree to marry someone else she hears his voice calling, "Jane! Jane!" And she responds, "Where are you? Where are you?" This was like Bella's Edward hallucinations. Then Jane comes back to find Mrs. Rochester died and she marries Mr. Rochester-like Bella and Edward's reunion and eventually their marriage.

I agree! I thought immediately of New Moon when I read the part where Mr. Rochester's voice calling, "Jane! Jane!" And she responds, "Where are you? Where are you?" I teared up, because it shows how deeply love can alter two people to be perpetually aware of one another.

I also love the similarities between Jane and Bella. Both are very strong first-person narrators, who don't really esteem themselves as anything more than ordinary. However, it is their inner strength, fortitude and ability to love fiercely that draws their soul mates to them. Edward draws the attention of almost all his female peers, and Mr. Rochester is also admired by many women, some more specifically than others. However, even though the 'other women' in both books are generically pretty (jessica/ i can't remember the other lady's name in JE), they are incredibly shallow and devoid of anything that attracts Edward/Rochester.

Both books also write about sensuality in a way that was revolutionary for the time, except in opposite ways. JE was considered a 'naughty book' at the time it was published (but by today's standards is squeaky clean). Twilight, on the other hand, writes about sensuality in the same way - hinting at it, letting it boil behind the surface. However, in today's literary world, Twilight is revolutionary because of the fact that it is sensual, but chaste.

Great books. There's alot of other similarities, but those are the ones that first came to mind.
dramaqueen55
Settled in Forks

Post by dramaqueen55 »

to find out a diffrent end to bella and edwards relation ship we need to see forever dawn right? :?: :roll: :idea:
Tamalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tamalyn »

ALSO! I just remembered an additional similarity between Jane Eyre and Twilight - Both leading men have huge, dark secrets that the leading ladies find out. Edward is a vampire, and Mr. Rochester is married to a madwoman. Both Jane Eyre and Bella find out these details, and it has a gigantic impact on the story arc in both novels.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

So after 3 hours I finally got through all of Midnight Sun on SM's website (perfectly legal-I do not support illegal posting at all!!!) and whenever Edward worried over Bella's safety and how he hated to be away from her I smiled and thought, "Mr. Rochester!!!" Remember when Jane's aunt was sick and called her back? Mr. Rochester didn't want her to leave at all and be seperated from her, like Edward. Although that could be said for any couple, but still.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

The relationship between Bella , Edward and Jacob is very interesting. I am not sure which book reflects their relationship, but when Bella went to Italy to save Edward, it reminded me of a movie.

Its really a classic relationship, except in this book, it involves vampires and werewolves.

I read a simplified version of Jane Eyre before, and I do agree that its sorta similar. Except that Edward went away instead on Bella in New Moon. And Bella returned to Edward to save his life.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Kieuemo
Settled in Forks

Post by Kieuemo »

I thought of Twilight when I read Jane Eyre too, and according to amazon, it is one of Stephenie's favorite books (or ones she most recommends, whatever). One thing though--Mr. Rochester is said to be extremely unattractive :D .