General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: True Love? Reality or Myth

Post by debussygirl »

I thought about this today at school, and I think I have the perfect example that true love exists.
Ronald and Nancy Reagan, among the truest, real-life true loves out there. First off, my history teacher had a student who's uncle worked in the Secret Service since the '70s and he said that President Reagan was the most faithful president to his spouse that he had worked for. Now, that alone may not say much, but President Reagan got Alzheimer's and at the end of his life didn't know who anyone was. But Mrs. Reagan stayed by his side, and right before President Reagan passed on, he looked around the room at all of his family, but his eyes stopped at his wife and his face lit up in acknowledgment of who she was and how much he loved her. Even with his mind being riddled with that disease and with everything he forgot--even his own children--he still remembered Nancy and everything that she meant to him.
Having a couple like that, how can anyone deny the existence of true love?
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

debussygirl wrote:I thought about this today at school, and I think I have the perfect example that true love exists.
Ronald and Nancy Reagan, among the truest, real-life true loves out there. First off, my history teacher had a student who's uncle worked in the Secret Service since the '70s and he said that President Reagan was the most faithful president to his spouse that he had worked for. Now, that alone may not say much, but President Reagan got Alzheimer's and at the end of his life didn't know who anyone was. But Mrs. Reagan stayed by his side, and right before President Reagan passed on, he looked around the room at all of his family, but his eyes stopped at his wife and his face lit up in acknowledgment of who she was and how much he loved her. Even with his mind being riddled with that disease and with everything he forgot--even his own children--he still remembered Nancy and everything that she meant to him.
Having a couple like that, how can anyone deny the existence of true love?
Well said Jenna.
Like you said before, relationships take work. When my parents first met my mom was a naive 18 year old, and my dad a 23 year old kid who never had to work a day in his life because his parents and their money took care of everything. He enjoyed life at a fast pace. They fell in love and got married in a few months. They moved to another country and had a very hard life there. It was a reality check for them. It just made them understand hard work in life, and hard work in a relationship. Their love kept them together and they worked in order for the relationship to work. That foundation I think, keeps them together to this day. They still love each other immensely. How can true love not exist when people can stay together for decades and still love each other? They just don't stay together for convenience. My grandfather passed away and my grandmother was just devastated. They spent 36 years married with each other, through all their hardships, him being paralyzed and getting skin cancer, and many more. You know you've found your true love when you find yourself working in the relationship. True love is out there, you just have to believe it's there.
n0vaice
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: On a beach, half dipped in a beautiful blue sea, under the summer rain. Waiting for YOU to kiss me.

Post by n0vaice »

Jenna I love you history lesson. I never heard that
one before but I'm familiar with President Reagan's history.

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 I agree with you that's all we can do believe and hope...
OMG! you made me teary. BTW where did your parents come from and what
country did they settle in?

I still don't have anything add... all I can say is that I love this thread... So much emotions... :)
ÖBLF = GennyÖ∩WA∩ΦMed StudentΦÜHanny's grand frere܃ Karl Valentino Brassi ~ Mafiaƒ
ΘSami, Rose, Fatima, Raven and Mimi are my Twi-GirlsΘΩTetrarch of LexicalliaΩ
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I definitely believe true love exists.
I believe there is that one person you love unconditionally and would do anything for.
And I believe that a lot of people find their true love.
I reckon a lot of people don't think it exists... until they experience it.

Unfortunately I've grown up in a home where there wasn't true love. My parents got married young, and my mother believed that once you marry someone, you should stay true to your vows and stick with that person. For better or for worse, right? They've been married for 23 years, but theres nothing there. I don't want that for me. You can fall in and out of love so easily, but I don't think that with true love. As much as I dislike divorce.. especially when you have children.. I just think that if you're unhappy or just not in love..true love.. with that person, then call it quits.
I've been around and seen a lot of relationships not work because there is no love.. and some where there has been.. possible true love, and there's a huge difference.

I believe that your true love is someone you know, have seen, or someone around you. I don't exactly think that you bump into some random person and BAM!, you're in love. But I don't think you need to look for it. How can you look for something when you don't know where and when it will happen? It's kinda like fate? destiny? I dunno. But I think you'll stumble across it one day when you least expect it.

Romeo and Juliet was written hundreds of years ago - so it can't just be some recent thing that people make movies out of. It must exist to be able to write about it.. you can't just make this stuff up. And it's something we all want. We're born to want.. and need it. It's in our blood and soul to want it.

^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

Jadey wrote:

Romeo and Juliet was written hundreds of years ago - so it can't just be some recent thing that people make movies out of. It must exist to be able to write about it.. you can't just make this stuff up. And it's something we all want. We're born to want.. and need it. It's in our blood and soul to want it.

I'm glad someone brought this up :) because someone used this almost same quote to defend that true love didn't exist in my class. I didn't agree at all with it...but their argument was along the line that we are brought up to believe in true love because it is what society pushes on us (or something along those lines). He said that he could look at a lot of people and see that they were completely happy without a significant other...and that it isn't right to say that everyone believes in true love/needs it. We didn't get a chance to share our beliefs on other peoples topics in class too much (and I really didn't know the guy), but I was just curious wondering about certain unique single people situations (once again, this doesn't even come close to applying to many single people at all..it's just a thought). Does true love always have to apply to a person? If say someone falls in love with something that isn't too healthy for them (not a person)...is it true love? Or, does true love have to be something expressed between two individuals? Also, can a person that has been damaged into believing that true love doesn't exist (dumped by someone that they believed they shared true love with)...a) can they still look for the same "true love" again AND b) since they already know the pain associated with the search, does that change their definition of true love indefinitely??? Sorry if I confused anyone...it's really early and I haven't slept
ImageImageImageImage
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

:lol: ^ I understand.
[And I just wrote a huge paragraph in answering that, but it didn't make any sense at all, so I might try again later :lol: ]

And I believe that your true love is another person. I mean, theres love you have for your dog, shoes and money - but it's different love. I think that true love was made for only humans :) Lucky us eh?

And I also think that some people have high expectations of what true love is - and when they meet that person they may not know that what they're feeling is true love, so they could walk past it with not even a glance back.
But then again I think that when you do come across it, you'll know and I don't think you'll care what you thought it would be like..
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
dopeydm
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dopeydm »

We didn't get a chance to share our beliefs on other peoples topics in class too much (and I really didn't know the guy), but I was just curious wondering about certain unique single people situations (once again, this doesn't even come close to applying to many single people at all..it's just a thought). Does true love always have to apply to a person? If say someone falls in love with something that isn't too healthy for them (not a person)...is it true love? Or, does true love have to be something expressed between two individuals? Also, can a person that has been damaged into believing that true love doesn't exist (dumped by someone that they believed they shared true love with)...a) can they still look for the same "true love" again AND b) since they already know the pain associated with the search, does that change their definition of true love indefinitely???
Wow, those are good questions that I can’t answer with personal experience, but can from observations of others. This may be long winded, but here it goes.

My husband has a friend whose mom has been married 3 times. He acted like the all time bachelor who would never get married and never believe in true love. I accepted this about him because of his childhood. He would never find “the” someone to spend the rest of his life with. And then it happened. He met her. They have only been married for 3 years, but they are perfect for each other. They compliment each other in a way that I think is absolutely perfect. So True Love!

Then you asked about whether or not someone can be hurt so badly by another person that they could never believe in True Love. I also thought that was true, until I found out otherwise. I had a co-worker whose ex beat her up so badly that she lost a child. It was absolutely devastating for her. She thought that she didn’t deserve love. She thought that she would never find someone that could love her unconditionally. Thankfully, she met the man of her dream years later. She is now happily in love with 2 beautiful children.

Does this mean that everyone believes in true love? I don’t think so. But I do believe that some people find their true love without looking or even knowing it exists.
"But you see, just because we've been...dealt a certain hand...it doesn't mean that we can't choose to rise above -- to conquer the boundaries of a destiny that none of us wanted."
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

I'm absolutely sure that true love exists. There are af course plenty of examples out there. I'm not going to give more. But I also believe that there is more then just one true love. I don't think it is possible that on this whole earth there is just one person who is your perfect match. If it would be like that, what's the change that you will ever meet him/her. I believe you can experience true love with different persons. I'm not saying you will meet 3 different persons in your life that give you true love, but I think it is more something like different possibilities. There are different people out there that can be your perfect match.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

The Architect wrote:True Love does not exist, its just a bunch of fancifull arts students daydreaming over something that can never exist.

No one will ever love you unquestionably and be undeniably yours forever, love is an action as long as you keep acting love out you will love the person. But once you stop acting out love, you will notice you just dont care about that person.

TA
I agree that love requires action, but I don't believe that if you don't act out love then you will stop caring for a person. I don't feel like love is something you choose to do. In any form that I have experienced it (for my parents, siblings, nephew, friends, boyfriends, husband), it has never been a choice. I never said to myself "I will do my best to love this person" and if I didn't try then I stopped loving them.

I feel like true love exists in many different ways. The way a mother loves her child is true love. It is unconditional and unavoidable. The same is true for the way I love my husband. If I didn't love him truly, then all the minor things might get in between us, but I would still love him whether I could live with him or not. I can say this because I've been engaged before and he left me. I still love him to this day without having to try. I try not to love him, but I can't help it. He left his mark on me, as have many others in different ways.

The action that love needs is really what a relationship needs to stay together. Love can exist where a relationship cannot. Two completely incompatible people can choose to work around their differences for the sake of love, or they can choose to let those differences get in the way. So the relationship can prevail or fall apart, but the love remains. If it doesn't, then it wasn't true love, it was infatuation.

Attraction and love can go hand-in-hand, but they are not equal. Evolution/Darwin has us naturally attracted to others of our species, but what makes us live beyond just perpetuating our kind is love, which makes life more enjoyable to live than simply being a womb or a donor.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

Ok...here is a new question (and please feel free to pose questions in your posts :) )....do the laws of attraction differ when referring to true love? Or do different laws apply? I guess I mean do people always know who their true love is when they meet each other? Also...what about love at first site? Is this a form of true love? Or is it situational?

EDIT: And I just thought of something else...which also relates back to Twilight...what about imprinting? This arguement kinda parallels this arguement because some people believed that people imprinted on the person that would allow them to continue on the species? Does imprinting instantly show the person who their true love will be? Or, in the case of Emily and Sam and Leah...could Sam and Leah have been in "true love" and then had it torn away? (Personally, even though I liked the idea that Jacob imprinted on Nessie and that it was pivotal for the story, I would like to have seen what would have happened if Leah would have imprinted on Jacob :O...if that was even possible for two shape-shifters to imprint on each other; and, if this would have happened...how would that have worked? Could Leah imprint on Jacob without Jacob imprinting on her? I guess it's not really possible but just for arguments sake...:))
ImageImageImageImage