General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bella fiori
Wandering Through Town

Re: The Honeymoon

Post by bella fiori »

When I first read the honeymoon chapters, I felt a bit like I was observing something way too personal to witness. I wouldn't want to watch this level of intimacy -- I thought it was treated perfectly, with enough description that you get the idea without so much detail that it feels like an invasion. We know that in the course of things bruises were made and pillows were bitten. It's clear without being too graphic. You can fill in the spaces between those paragraphs yourself.

Apart from just the sex, the mood of the entire honeymoon -- well, up to the fried chicken -- was perfect. They're in love, married, and completely blissful. The isolation and companionship, and the utter vulnerability, how it is described is just what it's like to be a newlywed.
silvo_volvo_stalker
Settled in Forks

Post by silvo_volvo_stalker »

When I first read the honeymoon chapters, I felt a bit like I was observing something way too personal to witness. I wouldn't want to watch this level of intimacy -- I thought it was treated perfectly, with enough description that you get the idea without so much detail that it feels like an invasion. We know that in the course of things bruises were made and pillows were bitten. It's clear without being too graphic. You can fill in the spaces between those paragraphs yourself.
I disagree with this as i have read books that are far more graphic and the graphicness doesnt ruin the book at all, in some cases it makes it better! i can understand what you mean however, how it was treated perfectly and doesnt seem like a invasion of privacy at all. But i think that the sex scenes should have been a bit more graphic throughout the whole honeymoon.

The Honeymoon sounds absolutly amazing though and i would love for it to be my honeymoon. It seems like bliss and the perfect honeymoon. :P
Alice: "I'll play you for it. Rock, paper, scissors."
Edward: "Why don't you just tell me who wins?"
Alice: "I do. Excellent."
porschejacker XD
Wandering Through Town

Post by porschejacker XD »

silvo_volvo_stalker wrote:
I disagree with this as i have read books that are far more graphic and the graphicness doesnt ruin the book at all, in some cases it makes it better! i can understand what you mean however, how it was treated perfectly and doesnt seem like a invasion of privacy at all. But i think that the sex scenes should have been a bit more graphic throughout the whole honeymoon.

The Honeymoon sounds absolutly amazing though and i would love for it to be my honeymoon. It seems like bliss and the perfect honeymoon. :P
Call me a pervert if you will, but I just wanted a better description of what Edward looked like naked :P
Me and my friends keep finding new ways to hurt ourselves so we can check out whether or not our doctor sparkles in the sunlight...
chach
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by chach »

Call me a pervert if you will, but I just wanted a better description of what Edward looked like naked :P
haha i cant wait untill the movie i think my face will be suck like this :shock: forever afyter bd the movie comes out!
WishIWasACullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by WishIWasACullen »

porschejacker XD wrote:Call me a pervert if you will, but I just wanted a better description of what Edward looked like naked :P
:lol: That is amazing. While that would be nice, a description of Edward's perfect stone bod, I found the Honeymoon the most perfectly detailed/censored bit of story writing imaginable. I think that SM put enough in there so that older readers could fill in the blanks with their own imaginations ( ;) ) and and held back just enough that younger readers or readers who don't feel that comfortable with intimacy or sex in general could still feel comfortable and not overwhelmed, disgusted or awkward. Yes, I would have loved to have more description than the morning after shredded pillows and bitten headboard, but, at the same time, it leads me to wonder if it would be as impactful if we HAD gotten more. I'm thinking that it wouldn't. There was something dark and sexy about leaving it that way--like it's a secret that unless we're Bella and Edward, we don't get to know. And that has a certain classy effect for me. It's like looking upon something regal, like a Renaissance royal court and knowing that something sensual is happening but not being privy to it--I don't know if that makes any sense but just the fact that there is something dirty to something that you look upon so highly--it's very sexy....maybe I'm just weird. :D
"Is it not enough… just to have a long and happy life with me?"

"For Now...."

E <3 B

Isobelle
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Isobelle »

What I love about the honeymoon scene is that SM leaves it open to the imagination. Any person could take their perfect romance scene and make it the one that Bella and Edward enjoy. Also, with the number of people who read Twilight I can seriously see some people trying to re-inact the exact scene that SM described. But of course every one is different, so I think in a way, not describing the scene lets the reader create their own fantasy. It would be awful if someone felt that their experiences werent special because they werent what Bella and Edward have (I've heard that argument before).

I loved the way it was done. I mean the books are told from Bella's perspective. I like the idea that Bella was SO into Edward and the experience that she wasnt narrating the whole time. I mean, if a person is describing everything, how much attention are the paying to the actual situation?

I LOVED the scenes :D
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

fang1/3 wrote: Now, what the honeymoon would be like in a movie.... haha

RIGHT!? i swear that was one of the first things i thought after reading the honeymoon part haha. I mean even if they did it the exact same way as the book in the film, you'd still see the upper half of Edward's body :lol: . Let's just say i can't wait for Breaking Dawn to be made into a movie.... :lol:

Oh and i just remembered we will be able to get a glimpse of Edward's stone body in New moon if it's made into a film....anyone remember? Right before he walks into the sunlight he's got his shirt off.... 8-)
party on
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
WishIWasACullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by WishIWasACullen »

mlola619 wrote:Oh and i just remembered we will be able to get a glimpse of Edward's stone body in New moon if it's made into a film....anyone remember? Right before he walks into the sunlight he's got his shirt off.... 8-)
party on
You saying that totally just made my day, because I completely forgot that until just now. Party on indeed, friend, PAR-TY ON!

*dying from fantastical amounts of Rpattz gloriousness*
"Is it not enough… just to have a long and happy life with me?"

"For Now...."

E <3 B

sameasher
Settled in Forks

Post by sameasher »

porschejacker XD wrote:Call me a pervert if you will, but I just wanted a better description of what Edward looked like naked :P
I did too, all the the sparkling would've made that more fun to read ;)

I really agree with the person who said that scenes ended abruptly. It felt incomplete. I understand why she didn't include graphic details, and that's not what I would've liked to see at all, but may be just kissing, just the begining and end before any thing really sexual happens, like in PG-13 movies. I really liked the scenes form Eclipse. I wish the ones in BD were more like that. I also thought that there was too much sex in BD, which I felt took away from the way their relationship was in the other books.
midnight_fix
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by midnight_fix »

I think Stephenie did a great job finding that perfect spot between too much and not enough. I see why she wrote it the way she did, she has said in the past something to the effect that she doesn't write anything she wouldn't have her sons read. Besides there are so many young readers that read her books, that if there were any details at all ,there would most likely be a huge controversy all over the media over the book being inappropriate. I for one wouldn't want the series to be perceived negatively like that. I think that Stephenie has a responsibility as a writer of a series with an established fan base of young readers to keep her writing appropriate to that young age.

And besides, sometimes filling in the blanks yourself is the funnest part. ;)
Edward talks to me in my head.....they tried to give me medication for that but I wouldn't let them.