General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: The Poetry of Robert Frost

Post by navarre »

bluemaria wrote:I have always liked the poem Fire and Ice by Robert Frost that is used in Eclipse. It is so true hate and apathy are equally deadly and would both suffice to kill someone, or at the very least mortally wound their heart. The relevance of the poem to the story, for me, has a lot to do with my interpretation of Fire and Ice which is basically that Frost is saying that the end of the world could come because of passion, hate, fire or the opposite, apathy, coldness, ice. Frost would side with fire (and this I think is fitting as he is a poet) but concedes that ice would also be great and would suffice. Bella's sheer passion for Edward could be overwhelming and possibly deady. On the other side the fact that she does not share the same love for Jake as he does for her (her cold sholder) might be the death of him. I think it is kind of funny how the two are turned around in that way (Edward the fire and Jacob the Ice) However, I have to say that my feelings concerning the relevance of the poem to the book are a little skewed since it has long been one of my favorites.

That is totally beautiful in the interpretation of that poem. I just believed that it alluded to Edward(Ice) & Jacob(Fire) and the ending a give away to Bella choosing Edward. Both elements(fire & ice) are equally powerful; both can give life(fire warms, destroys to bring about new life & ice when it melts is life giving water) both can bring death and destruction. Both can cancel out the other. Fire melts the ice and ice, when melted can put out the fire.

Interesting how these elements represent two very strong, opposite characters whose only comparisons are each is a mythical creature and each love the same woman.

I'm rambling - pardon.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

I just found another thing in the poem besides my rambling on page 4. Since Jacob is percieved as fire, and Edward as ice, it also depicts Bella's future. If she chose fire(Jacob), fires coninually grow and grow until they burn out. Which would mean she would continue to live and then die finally. But with ice(Edward) she would stay frozen forever. Unless the ice melted. Which would mean she'd forever be 18 but she has a small possibility of being killed. Woah. Many things to analyze in this poem.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:I just found another thing in the poem besides my rambling on page 4. Since Jacob is percieved as fire, and Edward as ice, it also depicts Bella's future. If she chose fire(Jacob), fires coninually grow and grow until they burn out. Which would mean she would continue to live and then die finally. But with ice(Edward) she would stay frozen forever. Unless the ice melted. Which would mean she'd forever be 18 but she has a small possibility of being killed. Woah. Many things to analyze in this poem.
A better analysis - more thought through. I'm not a poetry person, never cared for poetry. I prefer straight up talk and reading over all the flowery dissertation that poetry brings.
So it is nice to have someone who understands the inner workings of a poet. As always, thanks for your discussions and explanations - they are informative to me. :)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Thank you navarre. I'm a very poetic person let's just say. :lol: I like looking into stuff like that since I'm a sort of poet myself, but Fire and Ice is truly something special. It's been my favorite poem since 2nd grade. Even before Twilight. It can mean so many things, choice, destruction, desire, binding. Everything.
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

The Poetry of Robert Frost

Post by rainbowcrayon »

I absolutely love how Stephenie Meyer opens her books with quotes, as they really do add a certain mood to the book and are full of meaning. I think this poem is my favorite, though.
Robert Frost wrote:Some say the world will end in fire
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:The first 2 lines represent the rivalry of whether Jacob or Edward will be picked. And basically who's on who's side. Line 2 and 3 really sums it up as Jacob's perspective. Desire is that kiss with Bella in the forest and it made him confident that she would pick him and that he's the right choice. The last 5 lines signify that even though he thinks he's won, he knows Edward (ice) is strong enough and loved enough to be won by Bella too, and that Jacob knows Edward loves Bella. This poem really signifys Jacob's perspective which is quite interesting when you look at it.
This is an interesing interpretation, and I like how it suggests that this poem could be from Jacob's perspective.
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Since Jacob is percieved as fire, and Edward as ice, it also depicts Bella's future. If she chose fire(Jacob), fires coninually grow and grow until they burn out. Which would mean she would continue to live and then die finally. But with ice(Edward) she would stay frozen forever. Unless the ice melted. Which would mean she'd forever be 18 but she has a small possibility of being killed.
I think this is incredibly interesing as well, the discussion of possible futures and the symbolism of mortality.
bluemaria wrote:It is so true hate and apathy are equally deadly and would both suffice to kill someone, or at the very least mortally wound their heart. The relevance of the poem to the story, for me, has a lot to do with my interpretation of Fire and Ice which is basically that Frost is saying that the end of the world could come because of passion, hate, fire or the opposite, apathy, coldness, ice. Frost would side with fire (and this I think is fitting as he is a poet) but concedes that ice would also be great and would suffice. Bella's sheer passion for Edward could be overwhelming and possibly deady. On the other side the fact that she does not share the same love for Jake as he does for her (her cold sholder) might be the death of him. I think it is kind of funny how the two are turned around in that way (Edward the fire and Jacob the Ice).
However I believe that it is this interpretation that I agree with the most, although I question the first use of "apathy". I would also side with "fire" and remain mortal, rather than be frozen and never changing in time. I love how ambiguous this poem can be, with either Jacob or Edward representing the fire and ice respectively or vice versa. Robert Frost is an amazing poet, and Stephenie Meyer is a geinus. But then, it is also highly likely I am biased, as I love poetry (particularly Robert Frost's and I had read this one before reading Eclipse).
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.