Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Jasper Hale

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

We've fallen onto the second page!!! This is not allowed! Some Jasper Love is needed!

Ive officially just got my Team Jasper shirt <3 Best guy in the books, so emotional, lost and misunderstood!!!
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
EandB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by EandB »

I love Jasper!I think him and Alice should have their own books.And I've met Jackson:)
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

EandB wrote:I love Jasper!I think him and Alice should have their own books.And I've met Jackson:)
I am so envious right now. I think That I could die from the jelousy :D You met him!?
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Do you think Jasper will develop the ability to more easily resist the scent of human blood after he witnesses how Newborn Bella reactes to the scent of human blood?

Will his expectations for himself change?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Esme echo wrote:Do you think Jasper will develop the ability to more easily resist the scent of human blood after he witnesses how Newborn Bella reactes to the scent of human blood?

At one point in Eclipse, Bella theorizes that maybe Jasper's difficulty in resisting might be, at least in part, due to his separateness from the family, that the fact that his true driving force for adhering to the veggie diet and remaining with the Cullens primarily lays with Alice's presence and adherence. Personally, I find it to be a huge underestimation of Jasper to think that way. Jasper's struggle, IMO, is based on the fact that he fed on humans, was rewarded with human blood, for nigh on 100 years. It's like any of us. For people who've never tasted chocolate, or who have only ever had a passing nibble, it is easy to pass by the desert table and resist Grandma's brownies or the chocolate chip cookies at the grocery store. For those who have indulged in chocolate to excess, using it as both primary food source and as a reward for their entire life, it is much much harder. It's the same principle, but magnified 10,000 times in the case of the bloodlust.

That being said, no, I don't. Jasper's struggle isn't psychological. It's not something that he can look at Bella and say, oh well if it's that easy then... It's not that he just wants to drink human blood. His body still craves it. It's almost like a drug addiction. It's a biological need within his body to have human blood. Unfortunately, I think he will always struggle with his bloodlust. It may get easier. But, I don't think he will ever be completely free of it.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I am still mulling Edward's comment about Jasper: "He's worrying about . . . self-fulfilling prophecy, I suppose you could say. . . . He’s wondering if the newborn madness is really as difficult as we’ve always thought, or if, with the right focus and attitude, anyone could do as well as Bella. Even now—perhaps he only has such difficulty because he believes it’s natural and unavoidable. Maybe if he expected more of himself, he would rise to those expectations.”

Overcoming addiction is very possible with "the right focus and attitude." I think Jasper is a strong enough individual that -- even though he had a perfect recollection of the taste of human blood -- if he decided to lose the desire completely, he could do it. I think the fact that it was still so difficult at the beginning of Breaking Dawn, is that he was indulging in a certain amount of "looking over his shoulder" at the days when he had no dietary restrictions at all.

I also think the depression that Jasper felt after feeding on humans (described on page 300 in Eclipse) was an indication that Alice wasn't the only reason Jasper stuck to the "vegetarian" diet expoused by the Cullens.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

Jazz Girl wrote:
Esme echo wrote:Do you think Jasper will develop the ability to more easily resist the scent of human blood after he witnesses how Newborn Bella reactes to the scent of human blood?

Jasper's struggle, IMO, is based on the fact that he fed on humans, was rewarded with human blood, for nigh on 100 years. It's like any of us. For people who've never tasted chocolate, or who have only ever had a passing nibble, it is easy to pass by the desert table and resist Grandma's brownies or the chocolate chip cookies at the grocery store. For those who have indulged in chocolate to excess, using it as both primary food source and as a reward for their entire life, it is much much harder. It's the same principle, but magnified 10,000 times in the case of the bloodlust.

That being said, no, I don't. Jasper's struggle isn't psychological. It's not something that he can look at Bella and say, oh well if it's that easy then... It's not that he just wants to drink human blood. His body still craves it. It's almost like a drug addiction. It's a biological need within his body to have human blood. Unfortunately, I think he will always struggle with his bloodlust. It may get easier. But, I don't think he will ever be completely free of it.
I loved the way you described his need like chocolate, and as a drug habit, however I do believe it is psychological to a degree. I smoke and have done for too many years to think about. When I have one of my whims that I'm going to give up and it's a disgusting habit and I'm wasting all that money etc etc etc I can't get my head to completely believe it. I know it's bad for me I know all the pro's for giving up but my head keeps telling me it's too hard and that I'll never be able to give up and that my will power is pathetically weak, then I give up giving up and feel even worse. This ( IMO) is exactly what Jasper feels when it comes to abstaining from human blood. He spent so much of his life drinking it, and it is their favourite diet so he expects to find it maddening to try to give it up. Rosalie said she'd never tasted human blood so at a guess I'd think it wouldn't be as hard for her as it is Jasper to abstain.

I do think Jaspers character is fab, and so interesting and I can't wait to see how they deal with it in the film :)
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

To be clear, I think it is a combination of both the psychological aspect, Edward's "self-fulfilling prophecy", as well as the biological need. But, I think, too often, particularly people who themselves do not suffer from the biological imperative to the same degree tend to underestimate its effect on psychological strength.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
EandB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by EandB »

Yes I met him on my Birthday weekend back in September.Very nice and handsome.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

EandB wrote:Yes I met him on my Birthday weekend back in September.Very nice and handsome.
Gah you lucky thing!

But I agree with you all on the Jasper front, its not that he doesn't try his hardest to be like the others, to try and fit in and resist human blood- its that no matter how hard he tries, he's been at drinking human blood the longest and will take the most time to adjust to the new diet without it. Alice and Jasper can't have been with the Cullens that long, and clearly and definatly not as long as the others, so they were not raised to abscond from their bloodlust. Jasper trying to fit in, and not quite getting their breaks my heart into little tiny bits, especially in Breaking Dawn when he sees how fast and well Bella adjusts to Vampirism without human blood.