Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Visitor
Settled in Forks

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by Visitor »

Sorry if this post seems random. But I haven’t posted in a while and I had the sudden desire to write out my opinion of Edward and how it has evolved (if it has at all) throughout the series.

So here goes . . . I liked Edward in the beginning (TW, NM) but I didn’t really have any strong feelings for him one way or the other. I was mostly just engrossed in the story and not necessarily the characters themselves. Then Eclipse came along and changed that completely. I loved him after Eclipse. I loved everything about him. I felt more strongly for him than any other character. Meaning, I had finally made an emotional connection with one of the characters in the series and it just so happened to be Edward. I saw his flaws (his actions at the beginning of Eclipse), I saw his love (his actions in the middle of Eclipse) and I saw his vulnerability (his actions towards the end of Eclipse). Everyone else went away from Eclipse feeling sad and teary eyed for Bella and/or Jacob, but all I could think about was how much the events in that book must have crushed Edward. I knew it must have been a horrible feeling. And I related to that feeling more than I ever thought possible.

Fast forward to BD . . . I was worried about BD. I believed SM was planning something, some storyline or event that had the potential of ruining my love for Edward’s character for all time. You see, I have this not so secret belief that long ago SM fell out of love with Edward’s character in favor of Jacob’s and has since lessened his role in the series in order to make way for her newest muse *shrug*. But after reading BD, I learned a few things: 1) I hadn’t been completely off base in my beliefs. SM’s increased disillusionment with Edward’s character (or shall I say Bella and Edward’s story) was more prevalent than ever in the way BD was written. 2) I was; however, also somewhat wrong in my beliefs. Because if possible, my love for Edward grew to leaps and bounds after BD.

BD showed a vulnerability in Edward’s character that was never seen before, but one that I always knew existed. I’ve always known that Bella was his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. So it was unsurprising yet heartbreaking for me to see him soar to such emotional highs during their wedding only to see him plunge into desperate despair upon Bella’s pregnancy, then back to hope and joy at the end. Many people did not like how weak Edward seemed in the face of all that was going on. I’ll admit, at times it was hard to read, but I loved being able to read it. I loved the frankness and ugliness of it. Jacob’s POV afforded us this decidedly un-rosy and open view of Edward while at the same time making it clear that Edward’s love for Bella knew no bounds. To that end, this line from BD Book 2 was powerful to me: “For a second I was just a kid- a kid who had lived all of his life in the same tiny town. Just a child. Because I knew I would have to live a lot more, suffer a lot more, to ever understand the searing agony in Edward’s eyes.”

If BD was supposed to make me like Edward less, then I’m afraid I must be really resistant to change. Either that or just really bad at taking artistic direction. Because I think BD may have catapulted Edward in my mind as my all time favorite, most complex, most intriguing, most alluring fictional hero . . . EVER.

Ok. Sorry. Back to your discussion . . . :D
maybeshescrazy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by maybeshescrazy »

Wow, I'd never considered that about SM/Jacob, but I totally agree!
I liked Edward through TW and NM like you, but in Eclipse I was irritated by him - first he was overprotective and irritating, and then he turned all perfect which irritated me even more. I found Bella and Jacob irritating too though, I thought Jacob was a bit of a prick, and I didn't agree with Bella and her decisions on a lot of things - but this isn't the thread.
BD really changed my mind, though. I found it a very difficult book to read because I felt, for the first time, SM really wrote Edward's pain, which struck chords with stuff IRL for me. And, through his pain you could really see Edward's love. In the other books, it was mostly words - but I think because Edward was more silent in BD, his actions, and his love actually jumped out more at you.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

Visitor wrote: Fast forward to BD . . . I was worried about BD. I believed SM was planning something, some storyline or event that had the potential of ruining my love for Edward’s character for all time. You see, I have this not so secret belief that long ago SM fell out of love with Edward’s character in favor of Jacob’s and has since lessened his role in the series in order to make way for her newest muse *shrug*. But after reading BD, I learned a few things: 1) I hadn’t been completely off base in my beliefs. SM’s increased disillusionment with Edward’s character (or shall I say Bella and Edward’s story) was more prevalent than ever in the way BD was written. 2) I was; however, also somewhat wrong in my beliefs. Because if possible, my love for Edward grew to leaps and bounds after BD.
ugh, you have no idea how much i've thought about that.
Even SM said that she loves Jacob more than Edward. i've never wanted to say anything about it though, it felt as if times. She does it on purpose. at all times, if i stay honest. Since eclipse I’ve felt that. And well, if she is doing it, it’s not working for me. Too bad so sad. (I think and if we’re right. Her attemption made me hate Jacob even more)
She said that part of writing from Jacob’s pov was to let people “understand” him better.

As for me, well. Reading twilight, I just fell INLOVE with the story, it was so good. And I knew that I was so inlove with Edward but I was embarrassed about it because I thought it was abnormal (well, from the looks my friend gave me when I sighed after I said Mr. Darcy’s name, made me swear I’d never show that again in public haha). Anyhow. I read twilight, loved Edward. Read new moon, fell for him EVEN more. Read eclipse and my heart broke, from all the pain he’s went through. It aggravates me when people say his pain was nothing and it doesn’t deserve sympathy (I agree too Visitor. I didn't think twice about Jacob and bella's pain. I felt that if SM was trying to force that, and she completely focused on that other than Edward‘s pain.) I can empathize too, to an extent. And I loved him more in eclipse. Read breaking dawn, and I wanted to kill Bella, once again and my heart ached for him. How can someone go through so much pain and suffering and still stay on his own two feet. After I finished Breaking Dawn, well, you can guess!! I loved him even even more. He is just such an amazing character. I love Edward in all 4 books. In twilight he was passionate and loving and caring, in new moon, he was sacrificing and passionate and loving and eclipse he was broken, and STILL passionate and loving and in breaking dawn…oh god, poor poor Edward. But at least, he got his happy ending. He got a child and he got Bella too, and he gets to keep them forever.

about eclipse. i agree, everyone (my friends at least) went over to the dark side and they were like "oh poor jacob. the ethics chapter was so sad" and i am like "are you kidding me? how about edward and what he went through. i don't want to hear it, screw bella" -- yeah like no kidding. one of my friend is totally with me though, so whoo.
Last edited by Amethyst1 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

Wow. I totally agree with both of you. I felt Edward's pain in Eclipse so much more than Jacob and Bella's. I think it is because Edward was so willing to do whatever it took to make Bella happy, even if it meant his own suffering. And by the end of Eclipse, I was so incredibly worried that Bella was going to leave Edward for Jacob. I couldn't imagine the devastation that would bring to Edward. I had never really thought about the way you described SM falling out of love with Edward and in love with Jacob. But gosh that makes so much sense. Because it just seemed like so much of BD was focused on Jacob. Wow. Thank you guys for your posts. I see somethings now that I hadn't even thought of. Yay! I love new thoughts!
twilightroxmysox
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightroxmysox »

OMG Your right SM totally switched to team Jacob :o Woah. I can't believe I didn't realise it. SM didn't change my mind though I'm always Team Edward :D Although she did make me really annoyed at Jacob. Thanks for pointing that out it's great to think about this stuff. Woah.
thanks to lalaith913 for the image

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Paste him on your sig so he can gain control!

E<3B
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Another Mod's note (sorry...):

This conversation may be getting a little off-track. The Jake Effect thread on the old Lex goes into this question (Stephenie's possible preference for Jake over Edward) in some detail. Anyone interested in this topic might go read some of what was posted there. If people want to continue that conversation, let me know, and we can restart the thread again.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Jane V
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jane V »

i don't know why in the heck SM would switch to Team Jake. anyway, back to the topic...

i really felt Edward's pain in all the books:

in Twilight; when he knew he should stay away from Bella, but fell in love with her

in New Moon; when he felt he had to leave to give her a chance at a normal life....yeah, we all know how much it hurt Bella, but it hurt him just as much.

in Eclipse; which has already been explained on this thread...

and of course in BD, when he was in so much agony over Bella's pregnancy.

the point is, Edward is an awesome character even though i don't LIKE him. [sigh] i wish Steph would release MS :(
"quite a pity how things turned out, isn't it?" -Jane, Eclipse

something you didn't know about the Volturi:
Felix has a medical condition. it's called Obsessive Winking Disorder. don't tell him i told you
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

December wrote:
Another Mod's note (sorry...):

This conversation may be getting a little off-track. The Jake Effect thread on the old Lex goes into this question (Stephenie's possible preference for Jake over Edward) in some detail. Anyone interested in this topic might go read some of what was posted there. If people want to continue that conversation, let me know, and we can restart the thread again.
oh yes. i've loved that thread from the old lex. i would love to see it here too!!! thankyou.

I have a topic question. it seems interesting enough. i'll be right back -- scratch that. it's a very odd topic but whatever.

I randomly flipped to a page while contemplating rereading breaking dawn, and I’ve come upon this quote.
“Wasn’t shielding her more important than answering her questions?” --bella (refering to Jacob telling renesme about the vampires coming to kill her)
Which brings me back to eclipse and Edward’s sudden overreaction and attempt to hide things from Bella, as usual from bad vampires. That was his point of view, but bella (totally contradicting herself now) thinks she should know everything. What do you guys think?
Was Edward wrong in not telling her. I mean, i get it. Bella has a right to know, because it's also her life in danger. but then Renesmee, poor child, is very well adult and aware, doesn't she have that right as well too?
Do you think that Edward should work more on telling bella the truth than always trying to sheild her? (which is a pretty passionate and caring thing, might i add. very...sweet)
Stupidshinyvolvowner

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

Edward saw, and Bella described to us the paralyzing fear that she felt anytime that Victoria's name was mentioned. I think Edward was trying to save her from the fear when he took her out of town when Alice saw Victoria threatening. I think Edward was hoping that Victoria would be taken care that night. If that had been the case, Bella wouldn't have felt the fear of Victoria ever again. I think that was Edward's goal. He was just trying to protect her from feeling a needless fear.

Unfortunately, Victoria was not taken care of, so Edward's plan didn't work out so great.
rapidheartbeat<3twi

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

That's exactly what Edward was trying to do. If you read the scene where Jacob comes to Forks High to talk to Edward, Jacob can tell that Bella is unaware of what went down with Victoria. Bella questions Edward about what he's not telling her, and then she figures it out and starts crying. And then Edward eventually goes on to say something along the lines of "Does that answer your question, mongrel?" and Jacob says, "Bella has a right . . . it's her life" and then Edward says, "Why should she be frightened when she was never in danger?" and Jacob goes, "Better frightened than lied to," and Edward "Do you really think hurting her is better than protecting her?"
My point: Edward wanted to keep her safe and not scared. Controlling? Perhaps. Good intentions? Yes.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse