Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
LionandLamb123
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Rosalie Hale

Post by LionandLamb123 »

debussygirl wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:Oops, you were right about New Moon.

Rosalie doesn't think she has to be nice. Period. To anyone. She was equally awful to Edward, and imagine what he must have been going through. She has proven time and time again that she is selfish and mean.
Rosalie is selfish and mean, I won't argue that point.
But putting it in Rosalie's perspective, I can see why she was mean. I think it's a pity that really the only time we saw her was when things weren't so great and she felt she had to be mean.
With Bella at first, it does show Rose's vanity, but it was also a tad bit deeper than that. If you've read MS, then you know what I'm talking about.
And she was mean to Edward, but in a protective way to the baby. She wasn't going at him like she was Jacob, it was more like, "Back off, Bella wants this baby" sorta thing. She definitely could have been nicer, but it was just the way that Rosalie saw how she had to approach the situation.

I can see that. I haven't read MS, but I think that Rose was in a way trying to scare Bella and the wolves away. Maybe it was because she simply thought she was better then them. But I think that Rose is in a way afraid of change. Like she wanted everything to stay the same in her human life with her fiance, and being human itself. Then she found Emmett, and the Cullens, and didn't want harm to come to them, after she finally found Emmett. But should Rose have been nicer? Yes. But she was trying, like in Eclipse, she told Bella her story, something she hasnt told in 100s of years.

Then, there is the issue if Rosalie just wanted the baby and didn't care about Bella. That's pretty up in the air. What do you guys think?
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

LionandLamb123 wrote:

Then, there is the issue if Rosalie just wanted the baby and didn't care about Bella. That's pretty up in the air. What do you guys think?[/b][/color]
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Rosalie is mean and selfish, but she isn't heartless. She saw how crazy Edward was becoming in what he viewed as Bella's undeniable death. She saw the resorts that Edward went to when he believed Bella was dead. She saw the pain that it brought to all of the Cullens. She knows how she would feel if she were to lose Emmett, and knew that Edward would feel that same pain. So despite all of the harsh words and vanity that Rosalie possesses, she couldn't possibly have thought out that she could kill Bella to keep the baby. I think for her family's sake, Rosalie was truly trying to make sure that the baby and Bella made it through ok.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Rosalie didn't think she could kill Bella, but she certainly didn't care if Bella died in the process.

Bella went to Rose because she knew that Rosalie would prioritize the baby's life over Bella's if it came down to it.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

^^Rosalie most likely didn't care for herself if Bella died. But I think she knew what would happen to her family if Bella did die. Without a doubt she would save the baby first, but I think saying that she "didn't care" if Bella died is a bit too harsh. She would care about what her death would mean on the family.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Actually it's not too harsh.

Jacob was thinking that Bella didn't matter to her, that it didn't matter if Bella lived or died as long as the baby was okay, and she probably thought she'd get the baby if Bella died. Edward hears him thinking this and confirms it. Since Edward is privy to her mind....

Do you honestly think that Rosalie really thinks about how things will affect her family?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

I think that, yes, she does care about how it will affect her family.
I mean, why did she call Edward in NM? She thought that he would be able to get over Bella knowing she was dead, and their family could become whole again. She didn't want Esme to be sad and Carlisle to be depressed and her siblings to be down because of what happened.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

I struggle with my views of Rosalie. I want to believe that she cared about whether Bella lived or died but I don't know. After reading about Rose's phone call to Edward when she thought Bella was dead that Stephenie posted on her website. When I read that I didn't think she called Edward so he would come back for Esme. I think she called him so he would come back so that SHE could have her family back to normal. Though when you just read New Moon and how she apologized there it sounds as if she really did feel bad for putting Edward at risk. Then when you hear her story in Eclipse I really thought that she did care about more than just herself. But then in Jacobs book how Edward confirms that Rose is wanting the baby for herself and doesn't care if Bella dies it made me hate her again. Why would Edward lie about that. I thought for sure we were going to see more conflict with Bella and Rose once Bella was turned and wanted her baby. I thought for sure Rose would be all jealous about the way Nessie wanted her mommy all the time. I hate that to me it seems like Rose is selfish and heartless but from how I interpreted it she is. I haven't been able to find anyway around it.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

So yeah, Rosalie did want things back to normal for herself in NM. But would she want to go through that again? Even if it did mean a baby, would it be better to be an aunt and be around a baby and have a happy, "normal" family, or would it be better to be a "mommy" and have a devastated family?
And, even though Edward confirms that Rosalie wants the baby, Edward would have known if she were planning anything and he would not have let her around Bella if that were the case.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

debussygirl wrote:So yeah, Rosalie did want things back to normal for herself in NM. But would she want to go through that again? Even if it did mean a baby, would it be better to be an aunt and be around a baby and have a happy, "normal" family, or would it be better to be a "mommy" and have a devastated family?
And, even though Edward confirms that Rosalie wants the baby, Edward would have known if she were planning anything and he would not have let her around Bella if that were the case.

I just had a nagging thought in the back of my head that she would just take the baby and run if anything happened to Bella. Having a baby of her own was the one thing she wanted that she never got. When she came back in the room after Bella had delivered and asked for Nessie I thought to myself "No you'll never see her again" She did prove me wrong but then again Bella didn't die. I wish there was more to read from Rose's point of view because I really hate thinking that she is that selfish. I've starting Eclipse for the third time tonight and then onto BD hopefully I will find something in there to change my perspective of her. Lord knows I've done a complete 180 on Jacob and some of the other characters since the first time I read it. So hears to redeeming Rosalie Hale!!!
annabelle
Learning to Love Green

Post by annabelle »

Stephenie Meyer screwed Rosalie over, and she's my favourite character. :/
Rosalie’s been through a lot: losing her heartbeat, losing her faith in mankind, losing herself... but then she met Emmett and fell for him—the boy who gave her back her life.
fanfic: Blame The Beauty